Re: [hreg] Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill

  • Ed Sarlls
    Message 1 of 74 , May 3, 2010

      You can find the MSDS and other info here:

      WARNING

      Eye and skin irritant. Repeated or excessive exposure to butoxyethanol may cause injury to red blood cells

      (hemolysis), kidney or the liver. Harmful by inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed.

      Do not get in eyes, on skin, on clothing. Do not take internally. Use with adequate ventilation. Wear suitable

      protective clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Flush affected area with water. Keep away from heat. Keep

      away from sources of ignition - No smoking.

      May evolve oxides of carbon (COx) under fire conditions.

      Ed
      From: William & Cynthia Stange <stangfam@swbell. net>
      To: hreg@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Monday, May 3, 2010, 5:26 PM

      Than you Nancy,
      I rather thought it may be a long shot. I have found also what you have said is true with BP, such strange bedfellows it seems. The oil owned by BP the accident owned by Transocean and the boo boo with the concrete Halliburton. The sad state is that we still have a major oil spill/leak that is getting larger, weather permitting it will stay off the coast and the Texas coast a while longer. Thank you all for your pertinent responses. I truly hope we (collectively as a nation) learn a lot more from this and eradicate any future incidents like this one. To err is human, to not learn from our mistakes is a bitter tragedy. Thank you all for your time.

      Message 74 of 74 , Jun 5, 2010

        Same problem - a disagreement on the rig about the better course of action. The "company man" I'm not sure which one vetoed the driller's recommendation (on IXTOC) to cut the string above the drill collars and let the collars fall to the bottom for recovery after the well was brought under control.  At least that is what a driller told me on a rig one night in Montana.

        The BOP shear rams wouldn't then and won't now cut through drill collars.

        Human error (Major Screw-up) seems to be common to a lot of major disasters. I believe that the problems on Horizon extends through many years of government regulations, "industry recommended practices", well design, events on the rig leading up to the fatal night.

        There are several interviews on youtube in anyone can stand to watch.

        As sad as it may be - this will happen again if we don't learn from this.

        Ed Sarlls, Jr.