Re: [hreg] Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill

  • Gordillo A
    Message 1 of 74 , May 3 9:56 AM
      Actually I have to say that there is a whole lot of testing that could have showed what happened at this level. But they did not do it. They never do. Other countries and other companies do... but not here. BlowFAM (which is used mostly for blowouts which is what happened here) is excellent at predicting this sorts of things. This damage was unnecessary and completely preventable.

      On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Russell Warren <rrwarren@...> wrote:

      I don't think there is anyone that could say with certainty that any other back up system would have worked either.
      Manual shut-off, automatic shut-off, and manual shut-off by submarine have all failed.  There is no amount of testing that can simulate a real world event at 5000' below sea level.
      I am fairly sure that human error somewhere is the cause of the problems...keeping in mind that even all the 'automated' devices are still programmed by a human at some point.

      To be honest, as much as I hate to see the damage that results, this event is probably the best thing that can happen to keep renewable energy going.  If the BOP had worked to perfection, this would be a minor news article, and new rigs would be out there in a couple of years.
      It sucks, but in the world we live in, nothing changes until something bad happens, and that is usually financially, not environmentally speaking.

      Message 74 of 74 , Jun 5, 2010

        Same problem - a disagreement on the rig about the better course of action. The "company man" I'm not sure which one vetoed the driller's recommendation (on IXTOC) to cut the string above the drill collars and let the collars fall to the bottom for recovery after the well was brought under control.  At least that is what a driller told me on a rig one night in Montana.

        The BOP shear rams wouldn't then and won't now cut through drill collars.

        Human error (Major Screw-up) seems to be common to a lot of major disasters. I believe that the problems on Horizon extends through many years of government regulations, "industry recommended practices", well design, events on the rig leading up to the fatal night.

        There are several interviews on youtube in anyone can stand to watch.

        As sad as it may be - this will happen again if we don't learn from this.

        Ed Sarlls, Jr.