RE: [hreg] Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill

  • Gary Beck
    Message 1 of 74 , May 3, 2010

    Is that screech coming from the Gulf an energy wake up call regarding your energy appetite? Isn't it time that society wakes up, grows up, and starts thinking a bit differently?

    Energy always comes up #1 in terms of importance to humanity's "success" whether the measure is life quality or basic existence. Energy conservation through either non-use or efficient-use should always be paramount.

    My little firm tries to impact energy decisions through engineering, through presentations, and through education. But we continue to see too many 'poor' energy designs and applications we cannot change because engineering is to often too low on the design totem pole.

    New home owners are still requesting, and then architects still designing, 6000 and 7000 sf  'two person retirement' residences.  New building complexes are being designed without cost effective super insulation techniques and without consideration of future or initial Solar PV arrays, even though they are becoming both more efficient and less expensive.  SUVs still get 14 MPG with the wind at their back.

    If you ever are involved in a building project or a vehicle purchase, speak up for reduced consumption and increased efficiency and start to make a difference.

    Message 74 of 74 , Jun 5, 2010

      Same problem - a disagreement on the rig about the better course of action. The "company man" I'm not sure which one vetoed the driller's recommendation (on IXTOC) to cut the string above the drill collars and let the collars fall to the bottom for recovery after the well was brought under control.  At least that is what a driller told me on a rig one night in Montana.

      The BOP shear rams wouldn't then and won't now cut through drill collars.

      Human error (Major Screw-up) seems to be common to a lot of major disasters. I believe that the problems on Horizon extends through many years of government regulations, "industry recommended practices", well design, events on the rig leading up to the fatal night.

      There are several interviews on youtube in anyone can stand to watch.

      As sad as it may be - this will happen again if we don't learn from this.

      Ed Sarlls, Jr.