Re: [hreg] Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill

  • William & Cynthia Stange
    Message 1 of 74 , May 2, 2010
          I am wondering, on our group here are there any geologists? I have been having some, hmmmms lately. I have people I care about all over the world, so I take the time to watch events unfold through our space programs and sensors.
      http://www.iris.edu/seismon/ This site is pretty quick in reporting and identifying seismic events in real time. So here's my question. With all the last several months, starting with Haiti's great quake, then to Chile's ( one that made our day longer and pitched the Earths axis off by a few inches), I wonder if  all the last three months or so worth of very, very active plate pressure and movement has any bearing on changing levels and/or pressure build up deep below the Gulf. Along with other areas as well this could be some mechanics we've not seen in awhile, just a thought.
       The deep Gulf is quite close to a very deep trench that's also active seismically and that is the trench near Puerto Rico.
       There's nothing to be done now except damage control but there's everything to learn. A very costly classroom, I hope BP has some required credits for continued ed.
       I say all this knowing full well that myself being in construction 60% of my clients are BP'ers, oh what to do.
       New technologies means new jobs. Equipment that could be sold around the world.

      Message 74 of 74 , Jun 5, 2010

        Same problem - a disagreement on the rig about the better course of action. The "company man" I'm not sure which one vetoed the driller's recommendation (on IXTOC) to cut the string above the drill collars and let the collars fall to the bottom for recovery after the well was brought under control.  At least that is what a driller told me on a rig one night in Montana.

        The BOP shear rams wouldn't then and won't now cut through drill collars.

        Human error (Major Screw-up) seems to be common to a lot of major disasters. I believe that the problems on Horizon extends through many years of government regulations, "industry recommended practices", well design, events on the rig leading up to the fatal night.

        There are several interviews on youtube in anyone can stand to watch.

        As sad as it may be - this will happen again if we don't learn from this.

        Ed Sarlls, Jr.