Re: [hreg] Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill

  • William & Cynthia Stange
    Message 1 of 74 , May 2, 2010
       We quite simply need to re-invent ourselves. There is no reason why something does not exist to handle this type of situation. There is no excuse. Our planet is quite finite, the atmosphere, bodies of water and land masses are all measurable. Anyone who is of the mind that resources are inexhaustable and dumping into the ground and oceans (out of sight out of mind) is still OK is just simply nefarious.
       We need to think kind of like NASA, our planet IS our capsule, we need to run every scenario even if it seems impossible, there is NO escape pod to jump to in the event of a boo boo. So why do we not have every safe guard imaginable. Obviously the oil is of utmost importance for our economy ($$) and the continuing forward motion of our American machines. Why? Why take chances with not only the lives involved, the livlihoods of those along the coast, or the threat of losing the oil and/or shutting down deep ocean rigs until further notice. We have no excuses, we are begining to have precious little left of not only product but environment as well.
       It took almost twenty years for the powers that be to endorse double-hulled tankers, I wonder how many single hulls there still are out there, and that was a DUH!!
       The bigger question is will we let business go on as normal until there is no turning back and we will ALL be in the same boat without much of a paddle?
       Bill

      Message 74 of 74 , Jun 5, 2010

        Same problem - a disagreement on the rig about the better course of action. The "company man" I'm not sure which one vetoed the driller's recommendation (on IXTOC) to cut the string above the drill collars and let the collars fall to the bottom for recovery after the well was brought under control.  At least that is what a driller told me on a rig one night in Montana.

        The BOP shear rams wouldn't then and won't now cut through drill collars.

        Human error (Major Screw-up) seems to be common to a lot of major disasters. I believe that the problems on Horizon extends through many years of government regulations, "industry recommended practices", well design, events on the rig leading up to the fatal night.

        There are several interviews on youtube in anyone can stand to watch.

        As sad as it may be - this will happen again if we don't learn from this.

        Ed Sarlls, Jr.