Gulf of Mexico Oil Spill

  • justin@gulfcoastrenewableresources.com
    Message 1 of 74 , May 1 1:12 PM
      Talking Point:

      While I am all for free enterprise and an assortment of energy and transportation processes, this recent oil situation in the GOM is going to fundamentally change how many people feel about the use of oil/petroleum based products. I feel that now is the time to weigh the risk vs reward of offshore drilling and the potential devastation that can and WILL be brought upon the local ecosystems as a result.

      All of us members of the HREG are on the right track, and can help aid in the transformation of how America proceeds with not only dependence of foreign oil, but oil in general. We can either ruin our own ecosystems, ruin other nation's ecosystems or cut it all out completely.

      I have never been against offshore drilling, or even oil for that matter, but living in Galveston and seeing what could potentially harm our way of life for decades to come has opened my own eyes...and hopefully will open others.

      Best,

      Justin Owens
      Gulf Coast Renewable Resources
      (409)766-0208
      www.GulfCoastRenewableResources.com
      justin@...

    • Ed Sarlls
      Message 74 of 74 , Jun 5, 2010

        Same problem - a disagreement on the rig about the better course of action. The "company man" I'm not sure which one vetoed the driller's recommendation (on IXTOC) to cut the string above the drill collars and let the collars fall to the bottom for recovery after the well was brought under control.  At least that is what a driller told me on a rig one night in Montana.

        The BOP shear rams wouldn't then and won't now cut through drill collars.

        Human error (Major Screw-up) seems to be common to a lot of major disasters. I believe that the problems on Horizon extends through many years of government regulations, "industry recommended practices", well design, events on the rig leading up to the fatal night.

        There are several interviews on youtube in anyone can stand to watch.

        As sad as it may be - this will happen again if we don't learn from this.

        Ed Sarlls, Jr.