RE: [hreg] Sam's selling solar systems?

  • Kevin Conlin
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 19, 2010

      I guess the biggest problem I have is philosophical.  I would much rather spend my money supporting a local contractor than sending it to Bentonville , Arkansas .

      What do you do for service, repair or troubleshooting?

      Does the average homeowner really understand enough about shading and other issues to insure a good installation?  I doubt it.  There is a reason for NABCEP certification.

      I’ve been in the solar business for 25 years and have pioneered many pv products, but I would still use a professional to install a grid tie system.

      There are good local installers that support this group, and deserve our support in return.

      Kevin Conlin
      Heliosolar Design, Inc.
      13534 Quetzal Lane
      Houston , TX 77083
      Cell: 281-202-9629
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 19, 2010
        I saw the sign for this at the Sam's here in San Antonio.  I inquired at the Customer Service Desk and the ladies there did not know squat about the product or the offer.  They referred me to an 800 number that I did not keep.  Typical for San Antonio.  I would wonder if this is an opportunity for a small solar dealer to offer installation services?  TREIA has done so much to remove opportunities for dealers it would be a refreshing replacement.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 19, 2010
          They sell shingles at the hardware store, but I doubt that has put too many roofers out of business. :)

          I look forward to the day when a MPPT is in every hardware store just like a hot water heater or a circuit breaker. That will mean solar is pretty much mainstream. Plus it will make the infrequent repairs that much more convenient :)

          A project like this would only be for very aggressive do-it-yourselfers, and I think that is a great American tradition. I think very few people will buy this, but for the ones who do, kudos to them. But I think most of the people ambitious enough to install their own system will want to specify all the components themselves.

          It provides a bit more price pressure and that will keep pushing down prices. Since I think price is the main obstacle to wide spread solar, I see that as mainly a good thing.

          Every little thing like this increases solar visibility. Getting it more mainstream makes it seem like less of a nerdy gadget and more of a normal home improvement project, again pretty good in my mind.

          I think the price is pretty fair, although I agree with John in that I'd rather see the Kyrocera panels. But hey.

          - Jay

          --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Conlin" <kevin@...> wrote:

          > I guess the biggest problem I have is philosophical. I would much rather
          > spend my money supporting a local contractor than sending it to Bentonville,
          > Arkansas.
          >

          > What do you do for service, repair or troubleshooting?
          >

          > Does the average homeowner really understand enough about shading and other
          > issues to insure a good installation? I doubt it. There is a reason for
          > NABCEP certification.
          >

          > I've been in the solar business for 25 years and have pioneered many pv
          > products, but I would still use a professional to install a grid tie system.
          >

          > There are good local installers that support this group, and deserve our
          > support in return.
          >

          > Kevin Conlin
          > Heliosolar Design, Inc.
          > 13534 Quetzal Lane
          > Houston, TX 77083
          > Cell: 281-202-9629
          > Fax: 281-530-7501
          > kevin@...
          >
          > _____

        • Gary Beck
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 19, 2010

            In the last year I have noticed the increasing interest that both Sams Club and Costco have in selling "all things green" like sun-tubes, small solar PV, LED lighting, water filtration etc. I'm sure this will only increase.

            If anyone needs engineering support for any Solar PV installation, please consider contacting ECO. We can provide the following 'solar' engineering services:

            1.     Inspection of existing roof structural, ground structure, or other structure for ability to support and connect to Solar PV systems.

            2.     If required, provided the design modification or required improvement of existing structure for structural or leak protection.

            3.     If required, review of Solar PV suppliers mounting rack systems for certification for 110 - 130 MPH 3-second gust wind pressures.

            4.     If required, creation of construction plans and with all connection details based on each system to support permitting.

            5.     If required, during construction inspect the installation to certify that the Solar PV system is installed correctly and for 110 - 130 MPH 3-second gust wind pressures.

            6.     Provided any other related structural or civil engineering service such as design, plans, certification documentation, or on site inspection.

            We have already provided the above services in support of both residential and commercial Solar PV installations. Similar engineering support services can be applied to rain water harvesting, site planning, storm water mitigation, black/gray water separation, solar-thermal, and general construction.

            Gary Beck<--Rt-Clk to save all my info to your Outlook Contacts

            BSCE(75), Texas P.E. 50194 (81), SECB certified in the practice of Structural Engineering, TDI Wind Storm program engineer, Special Inspection Agency for City of Houston's Planning and Development Services Division. Member ASCE, GHBA, NAHB, USGBC. Eco-Holdings is Texas Engineering Firm F-7395. Eco's offers design use AutoCAD, Revit Structure and Revit MEP based 3D Building Information Modeling for foundations, structures, storm water systems, drainage plans, and detention ponds.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 19, 2010

               The Walton family members currently own 53.3% of First Solar, worth around $4.1 billion, and plan to sell 3.7 million shares--just below 10% of the 38.9 million shares the family members own. http://www.firstsolar.com/en/index.php  http://www.forbes.com/2007/07/25/first-solar-ipo-biz_cz_kd_0725solar.html