Sam's selling solar systems?

  • morgan_marc
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 19 6:12 AM
      Anyone notice this in their last email blast?

      Thoughts?

      $16,700

      3kW Grid Tied Solar System includes:
      # 15 - Enphase Micro inverters
      # 1 - Enphase Envoy Communications Gateway
      # 15 -215 Watt Solar Panels
      # Racking to install panels on your south facing roof
      # Roof top "junction box"
      # Rack mounting hardware
    • John P. Matznick
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 19 8:47 AM
        $16,700 is not to bad even with the Sam's club markup of about $2K. The pricing I came up with is in the $12K-14K range with all the items listed.
        Of course the quality of the PV panels makes a difference in the price as well. The REC panels are Norwegian (could be made in USA) and the Kyocera are made here.
        Just do not go into debt to buy these. You will pay a LOT more if you use your credit card or their revolving debt plan.
        Dont forget to add the cost of installation in order to get your Federal and local (if you have any) incentives and rebates. If you install yourself, you may not qualify for any of these incentives and your local electric utility does not have to offer you good grid tie tariff. They do not have to allow you to feed back into the grid and they do not have to pay you for it.

        $349 - Enphase Gateway
        $3232.05 - Enphase Micro inverters x 15
        $1000 - Racking
        $8788.50 - Kyocera KD215GX-LPU 215 Watt Solar Panel x 15
        $200 - Junction box

        $9015 - REC AE215-USA PV Panel x 15

        $13,796 for system with REC PV panels
        $13,569 for system with Kyocera PV panles

        Regards
        John P. Matznick
        Renewable Energy & Sustainability Consultant
        Green Tech Fusion
        888.642.0226
        www.GreenTechFusion.com -  Sustainable & Renewable Technologies

      • Kevin Conlin
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 19 9:24 AM

          I guess the biggest problem I have is philosophical.  I would much rather spend my money supporting a local contractor than sending it to Bentonville , Arkansas .

          What do you do for service, repair or troubleshooting?

          Does the average homeowner really understand enough about shading and other issues to insure a good installation?  I doubt it.  There is a reason for NABCEP certification.

          I’ve been in the solar business for 25 years and have pioneered many pv products, but I would still use a professional to install a grid tie system.

          There are good local installers that support this group, and deserve our support in return.

          Kevin Conlin
          Heliosolar Design, Inc.
          13534 Quetzal Lane
          Houston , TX 77083
          Cell: 281-202-9629

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 19 9:25 AM
            I saw the sign for this at the Sam's here in San Antonio.  I inquired at the Customer Service Desk and the ladies there did not know squat about the product or the offer.  They referred me to an 800 number that I did not keep.  Typical for San Antonio.  I would wonder if this is an opportunity for a small solar dealer to offer installation services?  TREIA has done so much to remove opportunities for dealers it would be a refreshing replacement.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 19 9:46 AM
              They sell shingles at the hardware store, but I doubt that has put too many roofers out of business. :)

              I look forward to the day when a MPPT is in every hardware store just like a hot water heater or a circuit breaker. That will mean solar is pretty much mainstream. Plus it will make the infrequent repairs that much more convenient :)

              A project like this would only be for very aggressive do-it-yourselfers, and I think that is a great American tradition. I think very few people will buy this, but for the ones who do, kudos to them. But I think most of the people ambitious enough to install their own system will want to specify all the components themselves.

              It provides a bit more price pressure and that will keep pushing down prices. Since I think price is the main obstacle to wide spread solar, I see that as mainly a good thing.

              Every little thing like this increases solar visibility. Getting it more mainstream makes it seem like less of a nerdy gadget and more of a normal home improvement project, again pretty good in my mind.

              I think the price is pretty fair, although I agree with John in that I'd rather see the Kyrocera panels. But hey.

              - Jay

              --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Conlin" <kevin@...> wrote:

              > I guess the biggest problem I have is philosophical. I would much rather
              > spend my money supporting a local contractor than sending it to Bentonville,
              > Arkansas.
              >

              > What do you do for service, repair or troubleshooting?
              >

              > Does the average homeowner really understand enough about shading and other
              > issues to insure a good installation? I doubt it. There is a reason for
              > NABCEP certification.
              >

              > I've been in the solar business for 25 years and have pioneered many pv
              > products, but I would still use a professional to install a grid tie system.
              >

              > There are good local installers that support this group, and deserve our
              > support in return.
              >

              > Kevin Conlin
              > Heliosolar Design, Inc.
              > 13534 Quetzal Lane
              > Houston, TX 77083
              > Cell: 281-202-9629
              > Fax: 281-530-7501
              > kevin@...
              >
              > _____

            • Gary Beck
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 19 9:47 AM

                In the last year I have noticed the increasing interest that both Sams Club and Costco have in selling "all things green" like sun-tubes, small solar PV, LED lighting, water filtration etc. I'm sure this will only increase.

                If anyone needs engineering support for any Solar PV installation, please consider contacting ECO. We can provide the following 'solar' engineering services:

                1.     Inspection of existing roof structural, ground structure, or other structure for ability to support and connect to Solar PV systems.

                2.     If required, provided the design modification or required improvement of existing structure for structural or leak protection.

                3.     If required, review of Solar PV suppliers mounting rack systems for certification for 110 - 130 MPH 3-second gust wind pressures.

                4.     If required, creation of construction plans and with all connection details based on each system to support permitting.

                5.     If required, during construction inspect the installation to certify that the Solar PV system is installed correctly and for 110 - 130 MPH 3-second gust wind pressures.

                6.     Provided any other related structural or civil engineering service such as design, plans, certification documentation, or on site inspection.

                We have already provided the above services in support of both residential and commercial Solar PV installations. Similar engineering support services can be applied to rain water harvesting, site planning, storm water mitigation, black/gray water separation, solar-thermal, and general construction.

                Gary Beck<--Rt-Clk to save all my info to your Outlook Contacts

                BSCE(75), Texas P.E. 50194 (81), SECB certified in the practice of Structural Engineering, TDI Wind Storm program engineer, Special Inspection Agency for City of Houston's Planning and Development Services Division. Member ASCE, GHBA, NAHB, USGBC. Eco-Holdings is Texas Engineering Firm F-7395. Eco's offers design use AutoCAD, Revit Structure and Revit MEP based 3D Building Information Modeling for foundations, structures, storm water systems, drainage plans, and detention ponds.

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 19 12:38 PM

                   The Walton family members currently own 53.3% of First Solar, worth around $4.1 billion, and plan to sell 3.7 million shares--just below 10% of the 38.9 million shares the family members own. http://www.firstsolar.com/en/index.php  http://www.forbes.com/2007/07/25/first-solar-ipo-biz_cz_kd_0725solar.html