RE: [hreg] Earth Day 2002

  • Claude Foster
    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 9 12:58 PM
      We were out of town last week end so did not see the event or the TV.
      However during the past century, we built a 18-72 volt electrical motor and
      speed control for a VW bug. We calculated that the solar panel to drive it
      at 70 mph would be about 8' x 32'. We did not build the solar panels but
      used batteries recharged from the powerline. The speed control for the wide
      speed range was my thesis project and it can be very expensive. The wide
      range speed control and the special motor are long gone to recycle and our
      memory is slipping too.

      The engineering societies still encourage colleges and universities to
      participate in cross country competitions. Popular science magazines are a
      fairly good reference for these activities. Their articles tend to be
      spectacular (media) compared to the long hours and the grunt work required
      but they have some pretty engaging text and good photos.

      Slower speeds, reduced range, better batteries, and better choice of running
      gear would improve the cost but it would still require significant funding.
      We would be happy to share some experiences from the early 70s with anyone
      who is interested and committed to a vehicle.

      First estimate of cost for good, used, attractive, open running gear, DC
      motor, simple speed control, battery and solar panel is about $5,000 plus
      labor. We could proceed in steps with the chassis first, motor second, speed
      control third, then battery and solar panel.

      Just now we are working to convince the City of the Astros to invest in
      fixed solar power for some of their facilities. Good things take time. Also
      some things improve over time. Solar generation is a technology whose time
      has come.

      Please let me know when and where the hreg design team assembles.

      Claude Foster, P.E.
      "fosterdad@..."
      (713) 266-6990

    • Steve Shepard
      Message 42 of 42 , Apr 12 7:28 AM
        Re: [hreg] Earth Day 2002
        Having been a RG reseller, Local Pro and stock holder in the past I think if more people knew what is going on with this company they would be less inclined to conduct business with them.

        Recently RG elected to sell out to a large corporation in Ohio.  Some of the terms of that deal were that the wholesale program for regional dealers and Local Pros was eliminated, stockholders were compensated at a ten to one loss and Schaeffer got to keep the Solar Living Center as his own little non-profit toy.  Not to mention the massive layoffs that occurred at RG when the catalog operations were shifted to Ohio.

        Real Goods is not the warm, fuzzy company that they have successfully managed to convince the general public they are.  This is yet another cold, calculating corporation that does not hesitate to screw associates, employees and investors to achieve single minded objectives.  To anyone who thinks this company is a Earth friendly, green, sustainable business I hope they soon understand this is not the case.

        SBT Designs
        25840 IH-10 West #1
        Boerne, Texas 78006
        210-698-7109