Re: [hreg] Wind turbine?

  • pchelectricoftexas@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 22, 2010
      That would interesting to see I also am interested wil u post area for a possible drive by look

      From: "Kevin Conlin" <kevin@...>
      Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 21:24:55 -0500
      To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: RE: [hreg] Wind turbine?

      Hi Justin,

      Thanks, I'd like to see the installation once they're up, please keep me posted.

      They make a lot of sense on the coast!

      Best Regards,  Kevin

      Kevin Conlin
      Heliosolar Design, Inc.
      13534 Quetzal Lane
      Houston, TX 77083
      C:  (281) 202-9629
      H:  (281) 530-7501
      F:  (281) 530-7501

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 22, 2010
        Kevin and pchelectricoftexas,

        I will let y'all know as soon as they are erected. I'll post photos of the install for all to view, and will update as well with stats on the generated electricity. These will be the first in the area, and I am anxious to see how they perform. Once install takes place, I'll post the address. One will be for the Galveston Historical Foundation's Green Revival Home and will be open for tours during the annual Historical Homes Tour.

        Check out www.galvestonhistory.org for more info on the tour.

        The other will be a private install, but I will wait for permission before giving the address.

        -Justin

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 22, 2010
          Thanks Justin, can you tell us what size they are?

          Kevin Conlin
          Heliosolar Design, Inc.
          13534 Quetzal Lane
          Houston, TX 77083
          C:  (281) 202-9629
          H:  (281) 530-7501
          F:  (281) 530-7501

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 22, 2010
            Sure Kevin,

            Both will be the Extreme Winds version of the standard 1.2, with estimated output at 2,050 kWh in 15 mph average winds. The rotor is 13.2 ft, on a 10 ft hinged monopole (23.2 total height). Pole extensions are available for increased height and wind capture.

            The Extreme Winds version is rated to withstand 168 mph winds, while the standard at 105 mph. The standard is a 20 ft rotor on a ten foot pole (30 ft total), and can produce up to 2,000 kWh annually in 12 mph winds.

            Both are only 4 ft in diameter (rotor width).

            We install the Extreme Winds version in Galveston for their tolerance of high winds, but inland you can save thousands by utilizing the standard 1.2.

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 22, 2010

              Justin,

              Thanks for the detail.  It sounds like we are all very eager to hear how this VAWT experiment works.

              Can you give us ballpark on the turnkey price?  It sounds like annual energy production is comparable to a ~2 kW PV installation, so I’d be curious to see how they stack up financially……..all things being equal.

              Andrew

              Andrew H. McCalla
              CEO

              Meridian Solar, Inc. (TECL:24461)
              4109 Todd Lane, Suite 900

              Austin, TX 78744

              P: 512.448.0055 ext. 103
              D: 512.410.3872
              F: 512.448.0045
              andrew@...
              www.meridiansolar.com

              MSIlogo

              DISCLAIMER:
              This communication, along with any documents, files or attachments, is intended for the use of only the addressee and contains privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of any information contained in or attached to this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail reply and destroy the original communication and its attachments without reading, printing or saving in any manner.

              Hi Folks, I was wondering if anyone in this group had any experience with
              the vertical axis Windspire wind turbine?

              Best Regards, Kevin

              Kevin Conlin
              Heliosolar Design, Inc.
              13534 Quetzal Lane
              Houston, TX 77083
              C: (281) 202-9629
              H: (281) 530-7501
              F: (281) 530-7501
              kevin@...

            • Garth & Kim Travis
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 23, 2010
                Please put the photos in the files section of the homepage. We still
                have people on dialup on the list and photos are a real problem. Anyone
                who wants to see them, then can download them at their convenience.
                Bright Blessings,
                Kim
                List Owner

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 23, 2010
                  Andrew,

                  Financially here's the scoop...ballpark, of course.

                  Standard 1.2 typically between 9,000-12,000 installed.

                  Extreme Winds version between 11,000-14,000 installed.

                  Many factors go into the system design which is why the numbers are so vague. Distance turbine is located away from service panel, special foundation requirements, etc...

                  Hit in the middle and that is what most could expect.

                  -Justin

                  Justin Owens
                  Gulf Coast Renewable Resources
                  (409)766-0208
                  www.GulfCoastRenewableResources.com

                  Thanks for the detail.  It sounds like we are all very eager to hear how this VAWT experiment works.

                  Can you give us ballpark on the turnkey price?  It sounds like annual energy production is comparable to a ~2 kW PV installation, so I’d be curious to see how they stack up financially……..all things being equal.

                  Andrew

                  Andrew H. McCalla
                  CEO

                  Meridian Solar, Inc. (TECL:24461)
                  4109 Todd Lane, Suite 900

                  Austin, TX 78744

                  P: 512.448.0055 ext. 103
                  D: 512.410.3872
                  F: 512.448.0045
                  andrew@meridiansola r.com
                  www.meridiansolar. com

                  MSIlogo

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 23, 2010
                    please send pics of project and give a ballpark cost.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 24, 2010
                      Has anyone looked further at the Honeywell "bicycle wheel" turbine, supposedly already available through Ace Hardware?  The way I remember, it can generate electricity starting at 2 mph, and is safe up to some very high speed.
                      Ariel

                      - We are all Human beings here together.  We have to help one another, since otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.
                      - All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic policy regarding non-renewable resources, starting with water.
                      - Insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums and denying benefits.  Let's boot their CEO's and lesser bureaucrats out of the health care system.

                    • Kevin Conlin
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 24, 2010

                        Yes, I’ve looked into them and also talked to their reps in Austin a few weeks ago at a trade show.

                        For a large company like Honeywell, it’s a remarkably bad product.

                        For starters, no wind turbine can generate power at 2MPH, and mounting a wind turbine on your roof is a really bad idea from both a performance and aesthetic standpoint.

                        Additionally, at that level, the wind speed is low because of ground drag, and the turbulence created by the roof and surrounding trees will subject the turbine to high stresses and non laminar flow.

                        If you really want to determine a turbines efficiency at 2MPH, do the math.  At 2MPH it is putting out 1/2000th of full power, so why even bother saying that?

                        Because people believe it without really understanding the physics.

                        Sorry, I don’t like the machine at all, but then again, that’s why I’m a curmudgeon.

                        Best Regards,  Kevin

                        Kevin Conlin
                        Heliosolardesign, Inc.
                        13534 Quetzal Lane