RE: [hreg] Wind turbine?

  • Kevin Conlin
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 22 7:24 PM
      Hi Justin,

      Thanks, I'd like to see the installation once they're up, please keep me posted.

      They make a lot of sense on the coast!

      Best Regards,  Kevin

      Kevin Conlin
      Heliosolar Design, Inc.
      13534 Quetzal Lane
      Houston, TX 77083
      C:  (281) 202-9629
      H:  (281) 530-7501
      F:  (281) 530-7501

      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 22 7:27 PM
        That would interesting to see I also am interested wil u post area for a possible drive by look

      • justin@gulfcoastrenewableresources.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 22 8:01 PM
          Kevin and pchelectricoftexas,

          I will let y'all know as soon as they are erected. I'll post photos of the install for all to view, and will update as well with stats on the generated electricity. These will be the first in the area, and I am anxious to see how they perform. Once install takes place, I'll post the address. One will be for the Galveston Historical Foundation's Green Revival Home and will be open for tours during the annual Historical Homes Tour.

          Check out www.galvestonhistory.org for more info on the tour.

          The other will be a private install, but I will wait for permission before giving the address.

          -Justin

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 22 8:26 PM
            Thanks Justin, can you tell us what size they are?

            Kevin Conlin
            Heliosolar Design, Inc.
            13534 Quetzal Lane
            Houston, TX 77083
            C:  (281) 202-9629
            H:  (281) 530-7501
            F:  (281) 530-7501

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 22 9:27 PM
              Sure Kevin,

              Both will be the Extreme Winds version of the standard 1.2, with estimated output at 2,050 kWh in 15 mph average winds. The rotor is 13.2 ft, on a 10 ft hinged monopole (23.2 total height). Pole extensions are available for increased height and wind capture.

              The Extreme Winds version is rated to withstand 168 mph winds, while the standard at 105 mph. The standard is a 20 ft rotor on a ten foot pole (30 ft total), and can produce up to 2,000 kWh annually in 12 mph winds.

              Both are only 4 ft in diameter (rotor width).

              We install the Extreme Winds version in Galveston for their tolerance of high winds, but inland you can save thousands by utilizing the standard 1.2.

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 22 9:47 PM

                Justin,

                Thanks for the detail.  It sounds like we are all very eager to hear how this VAWT experiment works.

                Can you give us ballpark on the turnkey price?  It sounds like annual energy production is comparable to a ~2 kW PV installation, so I’d be curious to see how they stack up financially……..all things being equal.

                Andrew

                Andrew H. McCalla
                CEO

                Meridian Solar, Inc. (TECL:24461)
                4109 Todd Lane, Suite 900

                Austin, TX 78744

                P: 512.448.0055 ext. 103
                D: 512.410.3872
                F: 512.448.0045
                andrew@...
                www.meridiansolar.com

                MSIlogo

                DISCLAIMER:
                This communication, along with any documents, files or attachments, is intended for the use of only the addressee and contains privileged and confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of any information contained in or attached to this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail reply and destroy the original communication and its attachments without reading, printing or saving in any manner.

                Hi Folks, I was wondering if anyone in this group had any experience with
                the vertical axis Windspire wind turbine?

                Best Regards, Kevin

                Kevin Conlin
                Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                13534 Quetzal Lane
                Houston, TX 77083
                C: (281) 202-9629
                H: (281) 530-7501
                F: (281) 530-7501
                kevin@...

              • Garth & Kim Travis
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 23 5:51 AM
                  Please put the photos in the files section of the homepage. We still
                  have people on dialup on the list and photos are a real problem. Anyone
                  who wants to see them, then can download them at their convenience.
                  Bright Blessings,
                  Kim
                  List Owner

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 23 6:53 AM
                    Andrew,

                    Financially here's the scoop...ballpark, of course.

                    Standard 1.2 typically between 9,000-12,000 installed.

                    Extreme Winds version between 11,000-14,000 installed.

                    Many factors go into the system design which is why the numbers are so vague. Distance turbine is located away from service panel, special foundation requirements, etc...

                    Hit in the middle and that is what most could expect.

                    -Justin

                    Justin Owens
                    Gulf Coast Renewable Resources
                    (409)766-0208
                    www.GulfCoastRenewableResources.com

                    Thanks for the detail.  It sounds like we are all very eager to hear how this VAWT experiment works.

                    Can you give us ballpark on the turnkey price?  It sounds like annual energy production is comparable to a ~2 kW PV installation, so I’d be curious to see how they stack up financially……..all things being equal.

                    Andrew

                    Andrew H. McCalla
                    CEO

                    Meridian Solar, Inc. (TECL:24461)
                    4109 Todd Lane, Suite 900

                    Austin, TX 78744

                    P: 512.448.0055 ext. 103
                    D: 512.410.3872
                    F: 512.448.0045
                    andrew@meridiansola r.com
                    www.meridiansolar. com

                    MSIlogo

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 23 7:19 PM
                      please send pics of project and give a ballpark cost.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 24 3:50 PM
                        Has anyone looked further at the Honeywell "bicycle wheel" turbine, supposedly already available through Ace Hardware?  The way I remember, it can generate electricity starting at 2 mph, and is safe up to some very high speed.
                        Ariel

                        - We are all Human beings here together.  We have to help one another, since otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.
                        - All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic policy regarding non-renewable resources, starting with water.
                        - Insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums and denying benefits.  Let's boot their CEO's and lesser bureaucrats out of the health care system.

                      • Kevin Conlin
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 24 4:36 PM

                          Yes, I’ve looked into them and also talked to their reps in Austin a few weeks ago at a trade show.

                          For a large company like Honeywell, it’s a remarkably bad product.

                          For starters, no wind turbine can generate power at 2MPH, and mounting a wind turbine on your roof is a really bad idea from both a performance and aesthetic standpoint.

                          Additionally, at that level, the wind speed is low because of ground drag, and the turbulence created by the roof and surrounding trees will subject the turbine to high stresses and non laminar flow.

                          If you really want to determine a turbines efficiency at 2MPH, do the math.  At 2MPH it is putting out 1/2000th of full power, so why even bother saying that?

                          Because people believe it without really understanding the physics.

                          Sorry, I don’t like the machine at all, but then again, that’s why I’m a curmudgeon.

                          Best Regards,  Kevin

                          Kevin Conlin
                          Heliosolardesign, Inc.
                          13534 Quetzal Lane