Re: TX Bottle Bill

  • Ariel Thomann
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 8, 2010
      I'm all for it' have often wondered it's not happening already.
      Need $ome fact$, though: cost of running the centers vs profit for the State?  In other words, is it revenue positive?  If not it would become another tax.
      Ariel

      - We are all Human beings here together.  We have to help one another, since otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.
      - All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic policy regarding non-renewable resources, starting with water.
      - Insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums and denying benefits.  Let's boot their CEO's and lesser bureaucrats out of the health care system.

    • Robert Johnston
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 8, 2010

        As a bicyclist I probably pay about $150 in “bottle taxes” every year already.  I think $0.10 isn’t enough (we had that in Michigan 35 years ago, and I know there has been a wee bit of inflation since then).  They should charge at least $0.25 each so that the incentive is greater.  Then maybe I’ll finally start seeing fewer broken bottle “tire busters” on the roadways.

        Robert Johnston

        I'm all for it' have often wondered it's not happening already.
        Need $ome fact$, though: cost of running the centers vs profit for the State?  In other words, is it revenue positive?  If not it would become another tax.
        Ariel
        - We are all Human beings here together.  We have to help one another, since otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.
        - All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic policy regarding non-renewable resources, starting with water.
        - Insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums and denying benefits.  Let's boot their CEO's and lesser bureaucrats out of the health care system.

      • PCH Electric of Texas
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 10, 2010
          I can also remember 10 cent bottle deposits as a kid in the mid 70s in San diego CA - thats how we used to get our spending money and yes there has been some inflation since then- I dont think 25 cents would be outrages at all-I also think more curb side recycling would help in other ways-some people just are not going to return bottle etc-but perhaps if made easy enough the would hold the bottle until they got home and toss it in a curb side recycle bin instead of chuckin it out the window- One thought aso would be recycle bins at fill up stations instead of just waste cans many people choose to empty there unwanted i tems there and all goes to the dump-

[...]

        • William & Cynthia Stange
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 10, 2010
            Too true Robert.
             Having spent a decade in Oregon, their bottle/can bill made the state an absolute thrill to be around - no trash! It seemed that if you cannot throw it out the window then all the trash stayed with you. The collection of sites below give an indication of how far they are willing to go with this and how far behind we are for not enacting it. Shoot right now in Houston, in a day I could pick up enough to eqaul my the wages I make!! Well, that might be stret

[...]

          • Garth & Kim Travis
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 11, 2010

              Growing up in Canada, I thought deposits on bottle were normal. Moving
              to Texas in my late 30s taught me the value of those deposits. They are
              not a tax, they are a deposit. Take the bottles back and get your money
              back. However, the law that says a DWI with an empty container in the
              vehicle has a stiffer sentence than a DWI without the bottle, is the
              reason for the tire busters. It is a poorly thought out law that causes
              more problems than it solves.

              Way back in my college days, one of the guys had his apartment furnished
              with empty beer cases. There must have been 500 cases in there. [In
              Canada a case is 12 bottles] When they raised the deposit from $0.30 to
              $0.60 he cashed them all in and paid his tuition for the next semester.
              And then scrounged some actual furniture.

              Bright Blessings,
              Kim

              > As a bicyclist I probably pay about $150 in “bottle taxes” every year
              > already. I think $0.10 isn’t enough (we had that in Michigan 35 years
              > ago, and I know there has been a wee bit of inflation since then).
              > They should charge at least $0.25 each so that the incentive is
              > greater. Then maybe I’ll finally start seeing fewer broken bottle
              > “tire busters” on the roadways.

              > __
            • Robert Johnston
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 11, 2010

                Interesting angle I wasn’t aware of.  So you’re saying our DWI laws actually encourage chucking the bottle out the window?  Wow.  Another example of the law of unintended consequences.

                Robert