Re: [hreg] Check out the New Home energy monitor by TED

  • Richard Yoo
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 17, 2010
      I have a buddy who has one... and I ordered one in Jan and it finally shipped on monday... I think the main difference between the old one and the new one is that the new one has a wireless display and it also interfaces with the internet so you can see graphs etc

      -Richard
      ---
      Visit my blog at http://www.richardyoo.com
      Share your photos at http://www.natuba.com

      On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Chris Boyer <boyer.chris@...> wrote:

      I don't have any affiliation with TED.  I bought their 1000 series and have it at home which works great, but the new 5000 series looks really cool.  Does anyone have one and if so, can you share your experience?

      Check out:

      -Chris

    • Dennis
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 17, 2010

        Here’s a recent update about Centerpoint’s smart meters, that will enable you to monitor energy use online. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/tech/news/6856235.html It’s an option that will enable you to have the monitoring ability without having to buy a monitor. Of course, if you are not in a Centerpoint service area…

        Dennis Celsor

        www.thirtygreen.com

        Thirty Ways for 30% More Energy Efficiency

        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 17, 2010
          Thats funny - Rakesh (the guy in the photo) was the buddy of mine I was referring too... and I had a meeting with Purva (the writer) last week... small world.

          This centerpoint metering program won't be done until 2012, so it could be up to 2 years before you get usage info from them... and even then, its unclear if they'll get that stuff on the web by then - looks like its just that the meters will be installed by then and it takes some time to get the information online.

          I know that a few people have found that their meter was incorrectly billing them, and only found out by having their own usage meter to compare data.

          For just a few hundred dollars, it seems like a smart thing to have installed regardless if Centerpoint provides it or not...  I have to say, I do find it annoying that centerpoint as been charging $3/month for the meters and will do so for another 11 years!

          -Richard
          ---

          On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 6:56 PM, Dennis <celsor@...> wrote:

[...]

        • Bill or Dorothy Swann
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 17, 2010
            It is an intriguing idea to put one in an EV charge station. I could monitor the status of the charge from a distance. But I assume that I would need to be at home, as it would be connected to the network there.

            Thanks,Bill S
            Ph 832-338-3080
            www.hstech.biz
            www.promotingevs.com

            I don't have any affiliation with TED.  I bought their 1000 series and have it at home which works great, but the new 5000 series looks really cool.  Does anyone have one and if so, can you share your experience?

            Check out:

            -Chris

          • Ralph Parrott
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 18, 2010
              These are now being sold at Ontility here in Houston.

              Ralph Parrott
              Alternative Power Solutions
              (713) 595 6375 Off
              (281) 455 9083 Cell

              On Feb 17, 2010, at 6:39 PM, Richard Yoo <richardyoo@...> wrote:

              I have a buddy who has one... and I ordered one in Jan and it finally shipped on monday... I think the main difference between the old one and the new one is that the new one has a wireless display and it also interfaces with the internet so you can see graphs etc

              -Richard
              ---
              Visit my blog at http://www.richardy oo.com
              Share your photos at http://www.natuba. com

              On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Chris Boyer <boyer.chris@ sbcglobal. net> wrote:

              I don't have any affiliation with TED.  I bought their 1000 series and have it at home which works great, but the new 5000 series looks really cool.  Does anyone have one and if so, can you share your experience?

              Check out:

              -Chris

            • jeanettebreton
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 19, 2010
                Yes, we ordered in December and our TED 5000 arrived Wednesday. We'll be getting it running this weekend to get some numbers before we put in a separate pane of plexiglass over all of our windows.

                Jeanette

                --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Ralph Parrott <rwpjr13@...> wrote:

                > These are now being sold at Ontility here in Houston.
                >
                > Ralph Parrott
                > Alternative Power Solutions
                > WWW.apowersolutions.com
                > (713) 595 6375 Off
                > (281) 455 9083 Cell
                >

                > On Feb 17, 2010, at 6:39 PM, Richard Yoo <richardyoo@...> wrote:
                >
                > > I have a buddy who has one... and I ordered one in Jan and it
                > > finally shipped on monday... I think the main difference between the
                > > old one and the new one is that the new one has a wireless display
                > > and it also interfaces with the internet so you can see graphs etc
                > >
                > > -Richard
                > > ---
                > > Visit my blog at http://www.richardyoo.com
                > > Share your photos at http://www.natuba.com
                > >

                > > On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Chris Boyer <boyer.chris@...
                > > > wrote:
                > >
                > > I don't have any affiliation with TED. I bought their 1000 series
                > > and have it at home which works great, but the new 5000 series looks
                > > really cool. Does anyone have one and if so, can you share your
                > > experience?
                > >
                > > Check out:
                > > www.theenergydetective.com
                > >
                > > -Chris

              • Dottie And Bill Swann
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 19, 2010
                  I see there is a free app for the TED 5000, for the I-Phone.

                  Thanks, Bill Swann

                  On Feb 19, 2010, at 5:39 PM, "jeanettebreton" <jeanettebreton@...> wrote:

                  Yes, we ordered in December and our TED 5000 arrived Wednesday. We'll be getting it running this weekend to get some numbers before we put in a separate pane of plexiglass over all of our windows.

                  Jeanette

                  --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, Ralph Parrott <rwpjr13@... > wrote:

                  > These are now being sold at Ontility here in Houston.
                  >
                  > Ralph Parrott
                  > Alternative Power Solutions
                  > WWW.apowersolutions .com
                  > (713) 595 6375 Off
                  > (281) 455 9083 Cell
                  >

                  > On Feb 17, 2010, at 6:39 PM, Richard Yoo <richardyoo@ ...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > I have a buddy who has one... and I ordered one in Jan and it
                  > > finally shipped on monday... I think the main difference between the
                  > > old one and the new one is that the new one has a wireless display
                  > > and it also interfaces with the internet so you can see graphs etc
                  > >
                  > > -Richard
                  > > ---
                  > > Visit my blog at http://www.richardy oo.com
                  > > Share your photos at http://www.natuba. com
                  > >

                  > > On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 6:34 PM, Chris Boyer <boyer.chris@ ...
                  > > > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I don't have any affiliation with TED. I bought their 1000 series
                  > > and have it at home which works great, but the new 5000 series looks
                  > > really cool. Does anyone have one and if so, can you share your
                  > > experience?
                  > >
                  > > Check out:
                  > > www.theenergydetective.com
                  > >
                  > > -Chris

                • Richard Yoo
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 19, 2010
                    I just installed mine a moment go... it was terrifying working in the panel to get it all set up...  we'll see what the TED reveals about my usage...

                    -Richard
                    ---