LED efficiency

  • justin@gulfcoastrenewableresources.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 13, 2010
    So here it is, a Saturday afternoon and I have nothing better to do than tinker with a small solar panel and an LED(my wife then implied that I was a nerd). I am truly amazed at the efficiency that this LED has and had to share it with the group.

    Anyone who knows anything about solar, knows that their efficiencies are FAR from perfect. A little bit of shading and they are virtually useless. I connected the leads from the panel(small 12V bought at Academy to charge my camping lanters) and placed it in the sun. Naturally, the LED emitted a bright red light. I then took the panel into the shade, and couldn't believe that the light was still shining. I even turned it upside down(the panel), and to my amazement, enough light penetrated the opaque side to light up the LED(although dim). I didn't take a reading from the panel to see what was being produced, but I'd be willing to bet it wasn't enough to even register.

    I took some pictures of the "experiment" to show just how shaded the panel was, and even took the light inside so you could see how bright the LED was.

    I don't know much about LEDs, but this has truly illustrated for me just how efficient they really are.

    Justin Owens
    Gulf Coast Renewable Resources
    (409)766-0208
    www.GulfCoastRenewableResources.com