RE: [hreg] Haiti; What are we doing as a group?

  • Robert Johnston
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 16, 2010

      Some of you may recall that in late 2006/early 2007 several of us in HREG made donations to a charity group (Knightsbridge) that provides portable solar power units to mobile medical clinics in Burma/Myanmar and other difficult situations.  We collectively gathered enough money to purchase a portable solar power unit for one mobile clinic.  This was published in the HREG newsletter, along with a photo.  The photo was credited to Walt Ratterman.  Walt Ratterman was from SunEnergy Power Corporation (http://www.sunenergypower.com/resources.asp), a unique solar power company whose profits fund a non-profit corporation that installs solar power units around the world in hospitals, clinics, etc.  Walt is the point man for the non-profit, and goes into these dangerous countries around the world to run these solar projects.  He was the lead on the Burma project that we supported through Knightsbridge, and I had email contact with him and Knightsbridge contacts while we were funding the solar power unit.

      This morning I received the following in John Mauldin’s newsletter (an investment newsletter) about what Knightsbridge is doing in Haiti.  Wouldn’t you know it, Walt Ratterman was in Haiti on another solar power charity mission when the earthquake struck.  As you can read below, it is likely that Walt lost his life in the earthquake.  In light of this news and our prior efforts with this group, I suggest this might be one way for members of HREG to support the Haitian people.  I have already given a significant donation to another charity with people on the ground, but I believe this would be an excellent way for others who wish to to respond to Evelyn’s appeal.  See the links in the message below.  I hope they find Walt alive, but it doesn’t sound promising.

      Robert Johnston

      (The following is from John Mauldin’s “Thoughts from the Frontline” weekly newsletter, Jan. 15, 2010).

      Your Help Is Needed

      But first, and far more important, is the tragedy that is unfolding in Haiti. Long-time readers know that several times a year I mention in this letter my very good friend Walt Ratterman, who volunteers his time going all over the world to install solar-power systems for hospitals and clinics, along with other relief efforts. My readers have been very generous over the years to Knightsbridge and their relief efforts. Walt and other members of Knightsbridge literally go into places where if they were caught by the government they would simply be shot (as in Burma). In Afghanistan, before our troops went in, the Taliban put a very hefty price on his head as he brought food and medicine to the northern tribes. Pakistan, Sudan, Darfur, Sri Lanka after the tsunami, in rebel-held territory, to bring medicine when no one else could get through - the hell-holes of the world. He and I talk frequently about the wisdom of taking such risks, and he cheerfully replies that someone has to. There are people dying.

      When we talked just a few weeks ago he mentioned he was going to Haiti. At least, I said, that was one place where no one would be shooting at him. He had been there several times. And then we find a different type of uncertainty rearing its head. After all the places he had been where the danger was fellow human beings, this occasion found him in the courtyard of the Hotel Montana, minutes before the earthquake hit. There were teams on the ground the next morning, specifically looking for him, but as of Friday evening he has not been found. We are hopeful, because they are still finding survivors at the hotel.

      His friends from Knightsbridge will be going there to assist in the recovery. Medical teams from Knightsbridge are going in early next week, and another experienced team will follow later in the week. These are people who know what to do and how to get it done.

      A few of you who have done this type of work may want to contact Ed Artis (see below) to see if you can be of service (especially medical). As I have often written, these are the good guys. They pay their own way and have no office overhead. It is a total volunteer effort. But they do need money for medicines, supplies, etc., and transport to get them there.

      What follows is a brief message from Ed, along with a way to send them money. And if you are not comfortable sending money to this rather small but extremely effective outfit, then donate to your favorite charity. This is a real disaster and they need our help. Also, I am including a picture of Walt, and all our prayers go out to his brave family. We are still hoping we find Walt. The world needs every Walt Ratterman it has. And your donation will make sure the work of this brave humanitarian goes on. And now from Ed:

      John,

      Tax deductions for donations via checks are thru Steps for Recovery ... as are those which are immediate online thru the Paypal icon on the website www.kbi.org We are going to have one, possibly two flights going in ... one led by Dr. Jim Laws and the other by me... Jim is in Florida tomorrow, staging the first one... I will follow and do likewise with the second one within the next week...

      I will be the point of contact for this action as I have very good communications and will be in constant contact with the Team and updating the Blog from the field daily...

      Banking of donations by check will be handled by Mike Carlin while I am away... Online donations are immediate and I can handle them via the net with tax documents to follow...

      UPDATED INFO VIA OUR "CURRENT MISSIONS Blog": http://currentmissions.blogspot.com/ (and info on Walt)

      ONLINE DONATIONS VIA THE DONATE ICON LOCATED ON THE TOP PAGE OF OUR WEBSITE, LOCATED AT: www.kbi.org (scroll down a little)

      DONATIONS SENT VIA CHECKS SHOULD BE MADE OUT TO "STEPS FOR RECOVERY"

      BUT CLEARLY MARKED "FOR KNIGHTSBRIDGE / HAITI "

      CHECKS SHOULD BE MAILED TO the address below as I will be in the field:

      Steps For Recovery
      P.O. Box 67522
      Century City, CA 90067

      (A California 501(c)3
      Federal ID # 95.4472343)

      Ed Artis - Manila

      Friday January 15, 2010

      knightsbrg@...

      Walt_Ratterman
      Walt Ratterman

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 16, 2010
        Robert,
        Thank you very much for your personal testimonial and great idea.  That's enough for me; I'm going to donate right now.  With this solar connection and past history, it seems perfect for our group to throw it's weight behind.  Evelyn, thanks for asking, and Robert, thanks for the great reply.
        Mike

        People are in desparate need of help. I know about the BOGO light effort and the Haitian group in Houston (for more information go to KPFT) but how can we as a group do? I know there are so many people asking for donations but I trust no one. You know the drill we give and give and the people it was intended for never get it..... Is there anyone in the group that is spearheading an effort? Engineers without Boarders? People are under the rubbles alive and in pain! Anyone? Please let me know, there are so many people suffering..... I would like this to be a group effort. Here is our opportunity to do good.

        Evelyn

      • evelyn sardina
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 16, 2010
          Thanks Robert! I will e-mail this information to the people on my list and I will make my contribution today. I am so sorry to hear the news but will be hoopeful that they will find Walt alive. My thoughts are with him and his family. Evelyn

[...]

          knightsbrg@aol. com

          Walt_Ratterman
          Walt Ratterman

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 17, 2010
            - I donated through the American Humanist Association charity program.
            - I just looked again at their website - http://humanistcharities.org/ .  As of Friday p.m. (if I read it correctly) they had over $ 23,000 worth of supplies already being distributed in Haiti -- their correspondents in the Dominican Republic purchased the stuff (probably much cheaper than could have been bought in the U.S.) and drove it over.  That's pretty expeditious, methinks.
            Ariel
            - We are all Human beings here together.  We have to help one another, since otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.
            - All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic policy regarding non-renewable resources, starting with water.
            - Insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums and denying benefits.  Let's boot their CEO's and lesser bureaucrats out of the health care system.

          • betina wolfowicz
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 18, 2010
              I donated through oxfam and the multiethnic center in houston, but I will add to knightsbridge