Toshiba Builds 100x Smaller Micro Nuclear Reactor

  • Kevin Conlin
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 11, 2009
      Hi Robert, regarding the safety issue, this article explains it better than
      I can, but they are touted as being inherently safer.

      Best Regards, Kevin

      http://www.nextenergynews.com/news1/next-energy-news-toshiba-micro-nuclear-1
      2.17b.html

      Kevin Conlin
      Heliosolar Design
      281 202 9629
      kevin@...
    • Robert Johnston
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 11, 2009

        From what I’ve read in this article and then some others after googling Toshiba micro reactor, I still don’t see how security is being addressed.  I’m not referring to safety.  I’m referring to security.  That is, how can these micro reactors be protected from terrorist attack or from hijacking all the fuel shipments required to keep them operational?  I would think a dirty bomb could be constructed easily from their fuel.

        Robert

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 12, 2009
          I'm sure they could, but in the context of security, I would much rather have small dirty bomb as my worst case scenario, as opposed to a fission meltdown disaster.

          Getting away from renewables, let's drop the subject.

          Kevin Conlin
          Heliosolar Design, Inc.
          13534 Quetzal Lane
          Houston, TX 77083