Re: [hreg] Re: Any reports on Dr Hansen's talk

  • Alyssa Burgin
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 11, 2009
      Focused solar (with mirrors) that tracks the sun does indeed use water. I couldn't tell you how much, because I'm neither advocating them or working against them. The nuclear power threat to our water was and is still very real, since the San Antonio city council situation with Toshiba and NRG remains in limbo, as they still consider building two more reactors in Bay City.
       I've worked with the organization opposing it, as has a member of my advisory board who is an expert on the use of water to procure energy. She's a civil engineer. My information regarding nuclear power plants comes directly from her, actually.

      Jeremy Rifkin talks about distributive power systems a great deal in his lectures and his work. It would make sense to me, Evelyn, to have individual power systems attached to individual buildings--i.e., one's own solar panels, one's own geothermal, perhaps even one's own wind turbine of some sort. Rifkin says that eventually, a building won't be built unless it can power itself. I don't think that's unrealistic.

      Alyssa Burgin
      On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 8:30 AM, evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@...> wrote:

      As far as the water issue isn't that the same issue with the commercial solar power plants and the fact that they need to use water to cool them off also? Like always...aren't  things in moderation (solar panels installed on top of roofs) compared to massive corporate production of anything (like biodesiel) ends up more of a problem than a solution when it goes corporate? This is a question  not a put down..... Evelyn