Rachel Maddow on MSNBC - tonight (Thu 10 Dec)

  • Ariel Thomann
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2009
      FYI, I e-mailed the following to Rachel Maddow earlier today.

      Dear Rachel:

        I just learned that you will be presenting a “debate”(?) of HUMAN-AGGRAVATED GLOBAL CLIMATE DISRUPTION (I don’t like the handier but less accurate “global warming”) this evening.

        I hope you, and your staff, will have time to review the following (also attached as PDF) before your program tonight.

        The first item is the text of a letter I sent to my senators just after the American Clean & Energy Security (ACES) Act of 2009 (H.R. 2454) was passed by the House of Representatives (I had sent much the same material to my Representative a few days earlier):

      Dear Senator  _ _ _ _ _:

      As one of your constituents, I support the above captioned bill, and strongly urge you to vote for it.  This ACES bill is somewhat weaker than many of us would have liked, but it is critical that it be passed now.

      The “fossil” energy and automobile industries (along with others) have been misrepresenting facts to the American public for decades, using P.R. falsification techniques pioneered by the tobacco industry.  I do not say that lightly.  Last April the Austin paper cited the New York Times regarding this; I attach a reprint of the Times article, including the link [http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/24/science/earth/24deny.html?_r=2`] as the top line.  I found this material widely reproduced by serious newspapers all over the U.S. but sadly and surprisingly (?) not in the Houston Chronicle.

      I urge you to explore other links to see for yourself that (for instance) Robert Bradley, a vocal Houston pseudo-scientific opponent of alternative, renewable energy has historically been on the payroll of ExxonMobil

       [http://www.exxonsecrets.org/html/orgfactsheet.php?id=115].

      Also, please check the facts concerning a Spanish “authority”, Gabriel Calzada, who Mr. Bradley cited in a recent Houston Chronicle commentary.  He has stated that renewable energy projects in Spain have caused the loss of more than twice the number of jobs they created.  Mister Calzada, like Mr. Bradley, has been at least indirectly financed by ExxonMobil [see link (a) below].  A number of Representatives who opposed this bill during their debate in late June also cited the same “study”.  Please check all the following links in order to see that the consensus in Spain is against what Mr. Calzada has disseminated (I will be glad to translate the ones in Spanish, although I am sure your staff can do this in-house).  I understand that the recent spike of unemployment in Spain is due primarily to the bursting of their construction bubble, and far less to other industries, but NOT due to renewable energy projects.

      ·            (a) [http://www.exxonsecrets.org/html/orgfactsheet.php?id=106].

      ·            (b) http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/letter-from-navarra-ministerapril-2009.pdf

      ·            (c) http://greeneconomypost.com/debunk-spanish-study-green-jobs-1582.htm

      ·            (d) http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/paltman/media/Rodriguez%20letter.pdf

      ·            (e) http://liberalismodemocratico.wordpress.com/2009/05/17/gabriel-calzada-subvencionado-y-aficionado-a-las-mentiras/

      Senator, I trust you will not listen to the siren songs of the pens-for-hire I mentioned above by name.

      I presume you are already familiar with the report released last month by the White House, titled “Global Climate Change Impacts in the United States”.  Please study it carefully.

      Senator, please do all that is in your power to ensure that this law sails through.  You now have additional facts upon which to base your actions to that effect.

      Sincerely,

      Ariel J. Thomann

      Attachment (1) “Industry Ignored its Scientists on Climate” (transcribed from), The New York Times, 23 Apr 2009

      The second item is my reproduction of a more recent article in the Houston Chronicle.  I think it confirms my contention that the “information” about job losses in Spain is questionable at best:

      Houston Chronicle – 7 Oct 09

      Spain’s windmills no longer for tilting

      WINDMILLS and solar panels abound in Spain, and the country has been recognized as one of the world leaders in the development of its renewable energy industry. Miguel Sebastían, the European nation’s minister of industry, tourism and trade, recently toured several U.S. cities to encourage companies and governments to work with Spanish renewable energy firms. The economist stopped in Houston and spoke with Chronicle reporter Jenalia Moreno about Spain’s green movement and its plans to make the nation even more reliant on renewable energy in the next decade.

      Q: Why did you and several Spanish companies visit the U.S.?

      A: Amazingly, the image that Spain projects in the U.S. is a country where the weather is nice, nice was that environment and business were against each other. In other words, if you want to protect the environment, you're against economic growth. That's an old, last-century view.

      Environment and business can go together. Environment and employment can go food, Antonio Banderas, Zara and (Pau) Gasol. Nobody associated Spain with new technologies and important companies. This is what we want to change. The U.S. is the largest economy in the world, therefore the largest market. Our presence here is relatively low. We are the No. 5 investor in the world, No. 1 or 2 in Latin America. But in the United States, we are well below what we are in the rest of the world.

      Q: Why is Spain recognized as a leader in renewable energy?

      A: We are country No. 2 in solar power in the world. In 2008, we had the same amount of solar panels installed in Spain as the rest of the world together. We are going to be country No. 3 in wind-power energy.

      The good thing about renewable energy is nobody fights over it. It's not like oil, where some people try to get the oil from other countries and those other countries try to defend themselves.

      Renewable energy is for everyone. Everybody benefits in terms of environment.

      Q: What can the U.S. learn from Spain's experiences in renewable energy?

      A: We have no oil, no gas at all. We are in this business because we need that. On Friday (Oct. 23) we reached for the first time in history 50 percent of our electricity generation by renewable terms. Our average is 25 to 30 percent.

      It's a very significant event, which shows it is possible.

      We can go to a model that is sustainable, and it's also friendly to business and employment. For a bunch of years, the wrong idea together.

      Q: Gabriel Calzada Álvarez was the research director of a study criticizing Spain's renewable energy industry for causing job losses.

      Is that true and is his university, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, well known in Spain?

      A: It's a small private university, which is not very relevant. It has a nice name but not very much content. I am an economist myself. I know all Spanish economists, of course. I have never heard any article by this guy. He compares the destruction of jobs in the housing sector, which has been because of the crisis, to the increase in the employment of the renewable energy sector in the last few years. He has linked two independent things. It is a political issue.

      Q: The study also talked about the high cost of renewable energy for consumers. Is it more expensive?

      A: It is true that renewable energy is more expensive now. You have to include all the advantages in the long run. The technological advances in renewable energies require you to start from a high cost, but with research and development, the costs are reduced. The cost of wind power has come down dramatically in Spain. Now, wind power is almost equal in cost to the average cost of energy from nonrenewable generation.

      Q: Are there some communities in Spain that only use renewable energy?

      A: We have this pilot experiment in El Hiero, which is one of the Canary Islands, and in some areas of Navarra, which is in the Basque region near France.

      We have some areas in Navarra where almost all of the electricity generation is 100 percent renewable. Our target is: In the year 2020 we must have 40 percent of the electricity generated by renewables and 20 percent of all energy consumption - including transportation, which is a tough area. That's why we want to introduce the electrical vehicle in Spain, because we are doing very well in electricity generation but we lag behind in transportation. The only way to achieve our goals in transportation is with trains, both high-speed trains and commuting trains, and the electric vehicle.

      jenalia.moreno@...

      Thank you for considering all this.  I hope you will find this information useful tonight.

      Sincerely,

      Ariel J. Thomann

      Ariel
      - We are all Human beings here together.  We have to help one another, since otherwise there is NO ONE who will help.
      - All countries need a NO REGRETS strategic policy regarding non-renewable resources, starting with water.
      - Insurance companies are in the business of collecting premiums and denying benefits.  Let's boot their CEO's and lesser bureaucrats out of the health care system.

    • Tyra Rankin
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 10, 2009

        Ariel:

        Awesome!  Thank you!

        Tyra

[...]

        A: Amazingly, the image that Spain projects in the U.S. is a country where the weather is nice, nice was that environment and business were against each other. In other words, if you want to protect the environment, you're against economic growth. That's an old, last-century view.

        Environment and business can go together. Environment and employment can go food, Antonio Banderas, Zara and ( Pau ) Gasol. Nobody associated Spain with new technologies and important companies. This is what we want to change. The U.S. is the largest economy in the world, therefore the largest market. Our presence here is relatively low. We are the No. 5 investor in the world, No. 1 or 2 in Latin America . But in the United States , we are well below what we are in the rest of the world.

        Q: Why is Spain recognized as a leader in renewable energy?

        A: We are country No. 2 in solar power in the world. In 2008, we had the same amount of solar panels installed in Spain as the rest of the world together. We are going to be country No. 3 in wind-power energy.

        The good thing about renewable energy is nobody fights over it. It's not like oil, where some people try to get the oil from other countries and those other countries try to defend themselves.

        Renewable energy is for everyone. Everybody benefits in terms of environment.

        Q: What can the U.S. learn from Spain 's experiences in renewable energy?

        A: We have no oil, no gas at all. We are in this business because we need that. On Friday (Oct. 23) we reached for the first time in history 50 percent of our electricity generation by renewable terms. Our average is 25 to 30 percent.

        It's a very significant event, which shows it is possible.

        We can go to a model that is sustainable, and it's also friendly to business and employment. For a bunch of years, the wrong idea together.

        Q: Gabriel Calzada Álvarez was the research director of a study criticizing Spain 's renewable energy industry for causing job losses.

        Is that true and is his university, Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, well known in Spain ?

        A: It's a small private university, which is not very relevant. It has a nice name but not very much content. I am an economist myself. I know all Spanish economists, of course. I have never heard any article by this guy. He compares the destruction of jobs in the housing sector, which has been because of the crisis, to the increase in the employment of the renewable energy sector in the last few years. He has linked two inde penden t things. It is a political issue.

        Q: The study also talked about the high cost of renewable energy for consumers. Is it more expensive?

        A: It is true that renewable energy is more expensive now. You have to include all the advantages in the long run. The technological advances in renewable energies require you to start from a high cost, but with research and development, the costs are reduced. The cost of wind power has come down dramatically in Spain . Now, wind power is almost equal in cost to the average cost of energy from nonrenewable generation.

        Q: Are there some communities in Spain that only use renewable energy?

        A: We have this pilot experiment in El Hiero, which is one of the Canary Islands, and in some areas of Navarra, which is in the Basque region near France .

        We have some areas in Navarra where almost all of the electricity generation is 100 percent renewable. Our target is: In the year 2020 we must have 40 percent of the electricity generated by renewables and 20 percent of all energy consumption - including transportation, which is a tough area. That's why we want to introduce the electrical vehicle in Spain , because we are doing very well in electricity generation but we lag behind in transportation. The only way to achieve our goals in transportation is with trains, both high-speed trains and commuting trains, and the electric vehicle.

        <

        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)