RE: [hreg] Re: Do it yourself Solar Panels

  • Kevin Conlin
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
      That's an excellent point, Steve, the potential for a high voltage DC fault or fire is very real.

      Kevin Conlin
      Heliosolar Design, Inc.
      13534 Quetzal Lane
      Houston, TX 77083
      C:  (281) 202-9629
      H:  (281) 530-7501
      F:  (281) 530-7501

      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 6, 2009
        I too, would not recommend trying to power your home with a DIY solar kit; however, it would be a great small project for someone with some time and a garage to "tinker" in. Building your own module to power a small device can be fun and a great learning experience for those who don't know the mechanics of PV technology. I bought a small panel from Academy and use it to charge my camping lanterns, or use it to run a small radio that normally runs on a 9 volt battery. My kids love it and it gets a lot of attention when we are at the beach. I have not yet built one myself, but I'm sure it could be a fun project. For those of us who normally deal with large manufacturer's panels, building your own for small, controlled situations could bring a sense of pride. But again, the notion of building your own to power your home is like most have already said...a bad idea.

        Justin Owens
        Gulf Coast Renewable Resources
        (409)766-0208
        www.GulfCoastRenewableResources.com

        A further constraint to DIY Solar Panels is code compliance. Houston, for instance, requires solar panels to be listed by a testing agency as part of the permit process. These tests cost money. Part of this huge cost is recouped by manufacturers in their panel prices. DIY panels would not be allowed in Houston's jurisdiction.

        BTW, this is not big brother; it's health, safety, and welfare of the public. The City also requires a structural engineer to certify that the panels and the structure they are attached to will withstand 110 mph winds. Anyone want a loose solar panel flying through their house in a hurricane?

        Steve Stelzer

      • offgridhomesteading.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 6, 2009
          I am just appalled at the feeling I get from this group, I have seen numerous emails seeming to steer people away from DIY and more towards buy my manufactured crap, don't get me wrong yes manufactured are built with all the tools needed to make them but I just refuse the buy manufactured mentality this group seems to have, even down to the Solar cookers with brand new materials instead of recycled a few weeks ago, maybe I am wrong IDK. Maybe I expected different when I seen the name Houston Reusable Energy Group, I hoped for something more people based as in let me show you how if you don't have the thousands of dollars to make other people richer buying their mass marketed, mass manufactured products. I guess I was wrong.

          David
          OffGridHomesteading.com

          Living off the GRID in Texas

          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 6, 2009

            David,
            I am not sure what you are trying to say in your response.  Below you are stating that DIY is for people who don't have thousands of dollars.  People are trying to tell you that you will actually save money by buying panels from a reputable manufacturer.  Furthermore those panels are tested to be safe in a number of manners that your own DIY panels can never be.

            One fundamental issue is that buying new materials and in mass quantities is far cheaper than using recycled material.  That alone is probably the number one issue our world faces.  Peoples wallets dictate their decisions far more than their social or moral responsibilities.  It sucks, but it is the way the world works.

            The problem with renewable energy right now is it is only encouraged by a few enthusiasts.  This list is trying to help bring renewable energy to the masses, and quite frankly I believe they are targeting the right audience.

            Everyone has encouraged you to try a small DIY kit for education, and testing, but they also concur that on mass scale, it is not the best solution for many reasons.  Just because you don't like the answer they gave you, does not make it the wrong answer.

            This list is for all people with interest in renewable energy, and just as much as you feel it should not be pointed to "greedy" corporations, it should also not be restricted to a very small percentage of people that would actually take on the kind of project you are looking at.

            I think what you are doing is great, but don't cut down other people for doing great things either.

            Regards,
            Russell

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 6, 2009
              David, you have not been in trouble with the list owner, in case you
              noticed. I too am heavy into DIY. I have a store bought solar cooler,
              it has never worked as well as my homemade funnel cooker.

              However, the name of the group is Houston Renewable Energy, not
              Reuseable. I like you name, it is a good one.

              This group is mainly for people that want to be part of renewable energy
              but can not do DIY for many reasons. Yes, there is a bias against
              DIY, but don't let that bias drive you away. Some of us are heavy
              DIYers and enjoy reading your posts.

              Bright Blessings,
              Kim
              www.TheRoseColoredForest.com

              offgridhomesteading.com wrote:

              > I am just appalled at the feeling I get from this group, I have seen
              > numerous emails seeming to steer people away from DIY and more towards
              > buy my manufactured crap, don't get me wrong yes manufactured are
              > built with all the tools needed to make them but I just refuse the buy
              > manufactured mentality this group seems to have, even down to the
              > Solar cookers with brand new materials instead of recycled a few weeks
              > ago, maybe I am wrong IDK. Maybe I expected different when I seen the
              > name Houston Reusable Energy Group, I hoped for something more people
              > based as in let me show you how if you don't have the thousands of
              > dollars to make other people richer buying their mass marketed, mass
              > manufactured products. I guess I was wrong.
              >
              > David
              > OffGridHomesteading.com
              > Living off the GRID in Texas

            • offgridhomesteading.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 6, 2009
                Thank you for your thoughtful reply and I am glad that you are heavy into DIY because real innovations come from people like us that tinker and find new ways to do things without millions of dollars of grant money to chunk around, I have decided that I will be a part of this group but I will just lurk and see what I see, I applaud you for your DIY and hope that you keep it up.

                David
                OffGridHomesteading.com

                Living off the GRID in Texas

                David, you have not been in trouble with the list owner, in case you
                noticed. I too am heavy into DIY. I have a store bought solar cooler,
                it has never worked as well as my homemade funnel cooker.

                However, the name of the group is Houston Renewable Energy, not
                Reuseable. I like you name, it is a good one.

                This group is mainly for people that want to be part of renewable energy
                but can not do DIY for many reasons. Yes, there is a bias against
                DIY, but don't let that bias drive you away. Some of us are heavy
                DIYers and enjoy reading your posts.

                Bright Blessings,
                Kim
                www.TheRoseColoredF orest.com

                offgridhomesteading .com wrote:

                > I am just appalled at the feeling I get from this group, I have seen
                > numerous emails seeming to steer people away from DIY and more towards
                > buy my manufactured crap, don't get me wrong yes manufactured are
                > built with all the tools needed to make them but I just refuse the buy
                > manufactured mentality this group seems to have, even down to the
                > Solar cookers with brand new materials instead of recycled a few weeks
                > ago, maybe I am wrong IDK. Maybe I expected different when I seen the
                > name Houston Reusable Energy Group, I hoped for something more people
                > based as in let me show you how if you don't have the thousands of
                > dollars to make other people richer buying their mass marketed, mass
                > manufactured products. I guess I was wrong.
                >
                > David
                > OffGridHomesteading .com
                > Living off the GRID in Texas

              • Kevin Conlin
                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 6, 2009
                  I would hardly call pv panels made by Sharp, Kyocera, BP and SolarWorld crap.  They come with a 25 year warranty, and are designed to last 50 years or more.

                  They are constructed of high grade materials that aren't even available to the average homeowner.  They have been engineered and manufactured to standards based on 25 or more years of manufacturing experience and field installations.

                  For my dollar, I want the benefit of their knowledge, experience and manufacturing economies of scale.

                  Even after tens of thousands of systems, I cannot remember a single failure due to a defective module.

                  Regardless of cost, they are definitely not crap.

                  Kevin Conlin
                  Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                  13534 Quetzal Lane
                  Houston, TX 77083
                  C:  (281) 202-9629
                  H:  (281) 530-7501
                  F:  (281) 530-7501

                  A further constraint to DIY Solar Panels is code compliance. Houston, for instance, requires solar panels to be listed by a testing agency as part of the permit process. These tests cost money. Part of this huge cost is recouped by manufacturers in their panel prices. DIY panels would not be allowed in Houston's jurisdiction.

                  BTW, this is not big brother; it's health, safety, and welfare of the public. The City also requires a structural engineer to certify that the panels and the structure they are attached to will withstand 110 mph winds. Anyone want a loose solar panel flying through their house in a hurricane?

                  Steve Stelzer

                • Neldon Costin
                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 6, 2009
                    David, if your intention is to get people emotional and to become defensive, you are very successful. If it is to get people on your side and support you, you are failing. You might want to evaluating how you say things and try to be a little kinder and gentler. That is the Texas way I learned growing up.

                    Quit attacking people. Maybe support your self with technical knowledge...

                    I don't know you, but first impressions are lasting impressions.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 6, 2009
                      well Neldon, I am not looking for anything, but what I have found tells me alot, thank you for your reply.

                      David
                      OffGridHomesteading.com

                      Living off the GRID in Texas