Do it yourself Solar Panels

  • naturewoman2009
    Message 1 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
      Here are two sites that give a plethora of information on building your own solar panels. I'm told it's not enough power for the whole home, but it sounds like fun!

      http://www.freesunpower.com/

      Instructables.com (type PV or solar panels in search field)

      -Pat
    • Kevin Conlin
      Message 2 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
        Sorry, building your own solar panels does not make any sense at all.  No one can do it better or cheaper than the manufacturers, and anyone who underestimates what it takes to make a solar module survive 30 years of continuous exposure to the elements is going to make an expensive mistake.

        I guarantee it will cost anyone 3X to make their own panel, and you'll still have a vastly inferior product to what is commercially available.

        Kevin Conlin
        Heliosolar Design, Inc.
        13534 Quetzal Lane
        Houston, TX 77083
        C:  (281) 202-9629
        H:  (281) 530-7501
        F:  (281) 530-7501

        Here are two sites that give a plethora of information on building your own solar panels. I'm told it's not enough power for the whole home, but it sounds like fun!

        http://www.freesunp ower.com/

        Instructables. com (type PV or solar panels in search field)

        -Pat

      • Barbara and Mike McGinity
        Message 3 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
          Looks like a rip off site.  No information on who they are, where they are, no address, phone numbers...or they just route you to another company that wants to sell you something.  Never trust a website that cannot tell you who and where they are located.
          Barbara McGiity
          .
          Here are two sites that give a plethora of information on building your own solar panels. I'm told it's not enough power for the whole home, but it sounds like fun!

          http://www.freesunpower.com/

          Instructables.com (type PV or solar panels in search field)

          -Pat

        • offgridhomesteading.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
            Kevin to work for a solar company and to tell people not to learn how to do something that may well be a beneficial skill in the coming future is asinine, and it is possible to make them cheaper and have them put out just as much power as the commercial panels, there is nothing that commercial manufactures do different from Joe in his garage except the film that they are vacuum sealed in. Those that say that someone cant do, need to get out of the way of those doing.

            David
            OffGridHomesteading.com

            Living off the GRID in Texas

            Message 5 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
              If you knew Kevin the way I do, you would never make a statement like that.  He did not say not to learn how.

              He has done more PV,... and had more experience than most will ever know.  He did not say you could not do it, but mainly that it would cost you more.   With his knowledge and experience, you better really know your stuff to challenge what he says.

               If you bought the parts to build a car, the cost would be out of site.

              Message 6 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009

                David,

                I think your response to Kevin is over-the-top.  He is a very helpful and well-informed contributor here who is trying to save someone an expensive mistake.  If you disagree with his advice, you can be nice about it and then provide specific facts to support your disagreement, rather than just flaming without any specifics.  The seemingly minor difference you mentioned is actually critically important and difficult to get right.

                Next time, you might want to read the rules on your own forum (assuming you own OffGridHomesteading.com) and apply them to your behavior here:

                #3 - Do NOT crap on other peoples ideas - While it may not make sense to you, it does to others. If you do not have anything positive to contribute keep quiet. Think about where we would be if people told Franklin, Tesla and Edison their ideas were stupid.

                #4 - WE WILL NOT TOLERATE FLAMING OR ANY TYPE OF HATRED TOWARDS ANYONE HERE AND YOU WILL BE REMOVED IMMEDIATELY - No questions, no notice.

                Robert

                Message 7 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
                  No it's not. The purpose of this group is to share information, and my advice to this group is to not fool themselves into thinking there is any logical reason to try and build their own PV module.

                  Perhaps you can share with the group how you do it?  Can you explain to us how you determined the correct cell interconnect geometry to overcome long term work hardening due to daily thermal cycling, a typical failure mode in an inexpensive panel?

                  Kevin Conlin
                  Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                  13534 Quetzal Lane
                  Houston, TX 77083
                  C:  (281) 202-9629
                  H:  (281) 530-7501
                  F:  (281) 530-7501

                  Message 8 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009
                    Most of the home built panels that I have seen are built out of broken surplus cells. I've looked at surplus cells before, and some of the cells were completely destroyed (only a single contact/trace), but many were sufficiently intact that you could get some current out of them.

                    With cells like these, almost any layout would have to be highly irregular, so I would not think cell to cell expansion would be a major issue. Since you are soldering them with wire, by hand, I don't see too much issue there. Use SN96 solder, and make sure to avoid oxidation on the tip and you should end up with a good joint. If you end up having problems with embrittlement or work hardening, a conductive epoxy might be worth trying. I have not tried this though, so there may be some issues.

                    I would think the hardest problem will be getting a good voltage balance between the dozens of crazy string fragments you are going to end up with. Use lots of bypass diodes and don't set expectations too high, I would say.

                    Also realize your power density is going to be horrible since the surplus cells won't fit together even remotely tightly packed.

                    No matter what you do you will end up with a low quality panel, but it could be inexpensive as long as you don't value high performance or the man hours you spend on it. For me, personally, I would rather buy a high performance panel and spend my time on something else.

                    But as an experiment I would say, go for it. If someone brought a homebrew panel by the next HREG meeting I would be interested in seeing it and hearing about it.

                    Have fun guys -

                    - Jay

                    --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Conlin" <kevin@...> wrote:

                    > No it's not. The purpose of this group is to share information, and my
                    > advice to this group is to not fool themselves into thinking there is any
                    > logical reason to try and build their own PV module.
                    >
                    > Perhaps you can share with the group how you do it? Can you explain to us
                    > how you determined the correct cell interconnect geometry to overcome long
                    > term work hardening due to daily thermal cycling, a typical failure mode in
                    > an inexpensive panel?
                    >
                    > Kevin Conlin
                    > Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                    > 13534 Quetzal Lane
                    > Houston, TX 77083
                    > C: (281) 202-9629
                    > H: (281) 530-7501
                    > F: (281) 530-7501
                    > kevin@...
                    >

                    > _____

                  • Tyra Rankin
                    Message 9 of 20 , Nov 4, 2009

                      Robert:

                      Your comment is extremely well written and expressed.  I have learned much from Kevin’s generosity and support of this group, and appreciate his willingness to be a resource.

                      David:

                      It is odd that you use Kevin’s experience in the solar industry against him, as if to discredit him because of his experience.  Individuals with a depth of skill, experience and training in solar are extremely few and rare.

                      Feel free to build your own…radio, TV, CPU, airplane, solar panel.   When you have questions, Kevin is someone you can call.

                      Tyra

                      #4 - WE WILL NOT TOLERATE FLAMING OR ANY TYPE OF HATRED TOWARDS ANYONE HERE AND YOU WILL BE REMOVED IMMEDIATELY - No questions, no notice.

                      Robert

                      Message 10 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                        If you feel I was showing hatred or flaming him then I will apologize, here in Texas we call that a disagreement with a statement after, thats fine that hes was "trying" to keep someone from making a mistake but I stand by my statement 100%

                        David
                        OffGridHomesteading.com

                        Living off the GRID in Texas

                        #4 - WE WILL NOT TOLERATE FLAMING OR ANY TYPE OF HATRED TOWARDS ANYONE HERE AND YOU WILL BE REMOVED IMMEDIATELY - No questions, no notice.

                        Robert

                        Message 11 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                          A further constraint to DIY Solar Panels is code compliance. Houston, for instance, requires solar panels to be listed by a testing agency as part of the permit process. These tests cost money. Part of this huge cost is recouped by manufacturers in their panel prices. DIY panels would not be allowed in Houston's jurisdiction.

                          BTW, this is not big brother; it's health, safety, and welfare of the public. The City also requires a structural engineer to certify that the panels and the structure they are attached to will withstand 110 mph winds. Anyone want a loose solar panel flying through their house in a hurricane?

                          Steve Stelzer
                        • Kevin Conlin
                          Message 12 of 20 , Nov 5, 2009
                            That's an excellent point, Steve, the potential for a high voltage DC fault or fire is very real.

                            Kevin Conlin
                            Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                            13534 Quetzal Lane
                            Houston, TX 77083
                            C:  (281) 202-9629
                            H:  (281) 530-7501
                            F:  (281) 530-7501

                          • justin@gulfcoastrenewableresources.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 6, 2009
                              I too, would not recommend trying to power your home with a DIY solar kit; however, it would be a great small project for someone with some time and a garage to "tinker" in. Building your own module to power a small device can be fun and a great learning experience for those who don't know the mechanics of PV technology. I bought a small panel from Academy and use it to charge my camping lanterns, or use it to run a small radio that normally runs on a 9 volt battery. My kids love it and it gets a lot of attention when we are at the beach. I have not yet built one myself, but I'm sure it could be a fun project. For those of us who normally deal with large manufacturer's panels, building your own for small, controlled situations could bring a sense of pride. But again, the notion of building your own to power your home is like most have already said...a bad idea.

                              Justin Owens
                              Gulf Coast Renewable Resources
                              (409)766-0208
                              www.GulfCoastRenewableResources.com

                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 6, 2009
                                I am just appalled at the feeling I get from this group, I have seen numerous emails seeming to steer people away from DIY and more towards buy my manufactured crap, don't get me wrong yes manufactured are built with all the tools needed to make them but I just refuse the buy manufactured mentality this group seems to have, even down to the Solar cookers with brand new materials instead of recycled a few weeks ago, maybe I am wrong IDK. Maybe I expected different when I seen the name Houston Reusable Energy Group, I hoped for something more people based as in let me show you how if you don't have the thousands of dollars to make other people richer buying their mass marketed, mass manufactured products. I guess I was wrong.

                                David
                                OffGridHomesteading.com

                                Living off the GRID in Texas

                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 6, 2009

                                  David,
                                  I am not sure what you are trying to say in your response.  Below you are stating that DIY is for people who don't have thousands of dollars.  People are trying to tell you that you will actually save money by buying panels from a reputable manufacturer.  Furthermore those panels are tested to be safe in a number of manners that your own DIY panels can never be.

                                  One fundamental issue is that buying new materials and in mass quantities is far cheaper than using recycled material.  That alone is probably the number one issue our world faces.  Peoples wallets dictate their decisions far more than their social or moral responsibilities.  It sucks, but it is the way the world works.

                                  The problem with renewable energy right now is it is only encouraged by a few enthusiasts.  This list is trying to help bring renewable energy to the masses, and quite frankly I believe they are targeting the right audience.

                                  Everyone has encouraged you to try a small DIY kit for education, and testing, but they also concur that on mass scale, it is not the best solution for many reasons.  Just because you don't like the answer they gave you, does not make it the wrong answer.

                                  This list is for all people with interest in renewable energy, and just as much as you feel it should not be pointed to "greedy" corporations, it should also not be restricted to a very small percentage of people that would actually take on the kind of project you are looking at.

                                  I think what you are doing is great, but don't cut down other people for doing great things either.

                                  Regards,
                                  Russell

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Nov 6, 2009
                                    David, you have not been in trouble with the list owner, in case you
                                    noticed. I too am heavy into DIY. I have a store bought solar cooler,
                                    it has never worked as well as my homemade funnel cooker.

                                    However, the name of the group is Houston Renewable Energy, not
                                    Reuseable. I like you name, it is a good one.

                                    This group is mainly for people that want to be part of renewable energy
                                    but can not do DIY for many reasons. Yes, there is a bias against
                                    DIY, but don't let that bias drive you away. Some of us are heavy
                                    DIYers and enjoy reading your posts.

                                    Bright Blessings,
                                    Kim
                                    www.TheRoseColoredForest.com

                                    offgridhomesteading.com wrote:

                                    > I am just appalled at the feeling I get from this group, I have seen
                                    > numerous emails seeming to steer people away from DIY and more towards
                                    > buy my manufactured crap, don't get me wrong yes manufactured are
                                    > built with all the tools needed to make them but I just refuse the buy
                                    > manufactured mentality this group seems to have, even down to the
                                    > Solar cookers with brand new materials instead of recycled a few weeks
                                    > ago, maybe I am wrong IDK. Maybe I expected different when I seen the
                                    > name Houston Reusable Energy Group, I hoped for something more people
                                    > based as in let me show you how if you don't have the thousands of
                                    > dollars to make other people richer buying their mass marketed, mass
                                    > manufactured products. I guess I was wrong.
                                    >
                                    > David
                                    > OffGridHomesteading.com
                                    > Living off the GRID in Texas

                                  • offgridhomesteading.com
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Nov 6, 2009
                                      Thank you for your thoughtful reply and I am glad that you are heavy into DIY because real innovations come from people like us that tinker and find new ways to do things without millions of dollars of grant money to chunk around, I have decided that I will be a part of this group but I will just lurk and see what I see, I applaud you for your DIY and hope that you keep it up.

                                      David
                                      OffGridHomesteading.com

                                      Living off the GRID in Texas

                                      David, you have not been in trouble with the list owner, in case you
                                      noticed. I too am heavy into DIY. I have a store bought solar cooler,
                                      it has never worked as well as my homemade funnel cooker.

                                      However, the name of the group is Houston Renewable Energy, not
                                      Reuseable. I like you name, it is a good one.

                                      This group is mainly for people that want to be part of renewable energy
                                      but can not do DIY for many reasons. Yes, there is a bias against
                                      DIY, but don't let that bias drive you away. Some of us are heavy
                                      DIYers and enjoy reading your posts.

                                      Bright Blessings,
                                      Kim
                                      www.TheRoseColoredF orest.com

                                      offgridhomesteading .com wrote:

                                      > I am just appalled at the feeling I get from this group, I have seen
                                      > numerous emails seeming to steer people away from DIY and more towards
                                      > buy my manufactured crap, don't get me wrong yes manufactured are
                                      > built with all the tools needed to make them but I just refuse the buy
                                      > manufactured mentality this group seems to have, even down to the
                                      > Solar cookers with brand new materials instead of recycled a few weeks
                                      > ago, maybe I am wrong IDK. Maybe I expected different when I seen the
                                      > name Houston Reusable Energy Group, I hoped for something more people
                                      > based as in let me show you how if you don't have the thousands of
                                      > dollars to make other people richer buying their mass marketed, mass
                                      > manufactured products. I guess I was wrong.
                                      >
                                      > David
                                      > OffGridHomesteading .com
                                      > Living off the GRID in Texas

                                    • Kevin Conlin
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Nov 6, 2009
                                        I would hardly call pv panels made by Sharp, Kyocera, BP and SolarWorld crap.  They come with a 25 year warranty, and are designed to last 50 years or more.

                                        They are constructed of high grade materials that aren't even available to the average homeowner.  They have been engineered and manufactured to standards based on 25 or more years of manufacturing experience and field installations.

                                        For my dollar, I want the benefit of their knowledge, experience and manufacturing economies of scale.

                                        Even after tens of thousands of systems, I cannot remember a single failure due to a defective module.

                                        Regardless of cost, they are definitely not crap.

                                        Kevin Conlin
                                        Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                                        13534 Quetzal Lane
                                        Houston, TX 77083
                                        C:  (281) 202-9629
                                        H:  (281) 530-7501
                                        F:  (281) 530-7501

                                        A further constraint to DIY Solar Panels is code compliance. Houston, for instance, requires solar panels to be listed by a testing agency as part of the permit process. These tests cost money. Part of this huge cost is recouped by manufacturers in their panel prices. DIY panels would not be allowed in Houston's jurisdiction.

                                        BTW, this is not big brother; it's health, safety, and welfare of the public. The City also requires a structural engineer to certify that the panels and the structure they are attached to will withstand 110 mph winds. Anyone want a loose solar panel flying through their house in a hurricane?

                                        Steve Stelzer

                                      • Neldon Costin
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Nov 6, 2009
                                          David, if your intention is to get people emotional and to become defensive, you are very successful. If it is to get people on your side and support you, you are failing. You might want to evaluating how you say things and try to be a little kinder and gentler. That is the Texas way I learned growing up.

                                          Quit attacking people. Maybe support your self with technical knowledge...

                                          I don't know you, but first impressions are lasting impressions.

                                          Message 20 of 20 , Nov 6, 2009
                                            well Neldon, I am not looking for anything, but what I have found tells me alot, thank you for your reply.

                                            David
                                            OffGridHomesteading.com

                                            Living off the GRID in Texas