Re: [hreg] [Fwd: The Truth About America's Energy Needs]

  • Environment Associates Architects
    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 3, 2001
      This discussion about electrical transmission loss peaked my interest
      because I have actually experienced this energy loss along high voltage
      transmission lines, and so can anyone who reads this. Just take a everyday
      40 watt fluorescent lamp (the 4 ft. long bulb used everywhere) and go out
      under a high voltage transmission line at night and see what happens. I bet
      you that it will light up (not brightly like in a fixture, but with a strong
      glow) just like it did for me several years ago when I tried it.

      So, if there is this much energy loss when standing 50 ft below the power
      lines to light up a fluorescent lamp without it touching anything (I was
      holding onto the glass part with the ends in mid-air not touching anything
      except air, if I remember correctly), how much energy loss is there in a
      circle all the way around the high power transmission lines? Then imagine
      this circle as a tube running for miles upon miles along these lines, how
      much energy loss would this amount to? Could it be harnassed for
      practical use like lighting roadways like Westpark that run along side such
      power lines, instead of constructing the usual street lights. Anybody into
      light tubes?

      LaVerne Williams

      laverne@...

      Message 42 of 42 , Apr 12, 2001
        Re: [hreg] Earth Day 2002
        Having been a RG reseller, Local Pro and stock holder in the past I think if more people knew what is going on with this company they would be less inclined to conduct business with them.

        Recently RG elected to sell out to a large corporation in Ohio.  Some of the terms of that deal were that the wholesale program for regional dealers and Local Pros was eliminated, stockholders were compensated at a ten to one loss and Schaeffer got to keep the Solar Living Center as his own little non-profit toy.  Not to mention the massive layoffs that occurred at RG when the catalog operations were shifted to Ohio.

        Real Goods is not the warm, fuzzy company that they have successfully managed to convince the general public they are.  This is yet another cold, calculating corporation that does not hesitate to screw associates, employees and investors to achieve single minded objectives.  To anyone who thinks this company is a Earth friendly, green, sustainable business I hope they soon understand this is not the case.

        SBT Designs
        25840 IH-10 West #1
        Boerne, Texas 78006
        210-698-7109