RE: [hreg] Re: HREG Solar Air Conditioning Tour Recap

  • Kevin Conlin
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
      My contractor just finished installing a two zone heat pump Mr. Slim in our community clubhouse, and the only way you can tell if they're on is by the LED's.  The indoor units are 3 speed, which is a nice feature, but even on high, the ceiling fans make more noise. Even the outdoor unit is barely audible.

      Kevin Conlin
      Heliosolar Design, Inc.
      13534 Quetzal Lane
      Houston, TX 77083
      C:  (281) 202-9629
      H:  (281) 530-7501
      F:  (281) 530-7501

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
        I know Sanyo and LG make models too, but I can't tell if they are different or just rebrands. I would love some sort of break down.

        Next up someone needs to design one of these crossed with a ground source heat pump :)

        Is the Mr Slim DC powered, or AC only? I am not against AC powered, there is a lot of convenience there for code compliance, but for solar, the whole DC to AC to DC and then back to AC seems a little much...

        There is another good push we could all work on - update the N.E.C. to be DC friendlier!

      • Kevin Conlin
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
          Jay, I've only seen AC units, and you're right, the extra conversion costs efficiency. I think the Sol Cool is probably your best bet for DC, but I understand they are not yet in full production. I believe Milton said end of the year.

          As efficient as they are, I'm not sure you'd gain a whole lot with geosource, might be a longer payback than the extra solar power you'd need without it.

          The Sol Cool 18,000 BTU has a COP of 5.5, consumes 1000W average.

          Interesting question, anyone care to crunch the numbers?

          Kevin Conlin
          Heliosolar Design, Inc.
          13534 Quetzal Lane
          Houston, TX 77083
          C:  (281) 202-9629
          H:  (281) 530-7501
          F:  (281) 530-7501

          I know Sanyo and LG make models too, but I can't tell if they are different or just rebrands. I would love some sort of break down.

          Next up someone needs to design one of these crossed with a ground source heat pump :)

          Is the Mr Slim DC powered, or AC only? I am not against AC powered, there is a lot of convenience there for code compliance, but for solar, the whole DC to AC to DC and then back to AC seems a little much...

          There is another good push we could all work on - update the N.E.C. to be DC friendlier!

          --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "Kevin Conlin" <kevin@...> wrote:

          > My contractor just finished
          installing a two zone heat pump Mr. Slim in our
          > community clubhouse, and
          the only way you can tell if they're on is by the
          > LED's. The indoor
          units are 3 speed, which is a nice feature, but even on
          > high, the
          ceiling fans make more noise. Even the outdoor unit is barely

          audible.

          > Kevin Conlin
          > Heliosolar Design, Inc.

          13534 Quetzal Lane
          > Houston, TX 77083
          > C: (281) 202-9629

          H: (281) 530-7501

          href="mailto:hreg%40yahoogroups.com">hreg@yahoogroups. com [mailto:hreg@yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Susan

          To: hreg@yahoogroups. com

          wrote:

          > Hi Jay, Good question, no one
          asked about the filter, but I'm guessing it
          > does have a washable one
          inside the unit.

          > I agree, between no duct work, selective
          cooling and high efficiency, I too
          > believe they are the next wave.
          Problem is finding anyone willing to learn
          > the technology. It took me 3
          months to find a cooperative ac contractor as
          > we just installed a 2 zone
          Mitsubishi Mr.. Slim on our community clubhouse.
          > Every one tried to talk
          me into ductwork.

          > Since solar panels are not specifically
          excluded in deed restrictions, it
          > might be worth educating the
          architectural committee on your homeowners BOD.
          > Traditionally the courts
          have ruled in favor of the homeowners when solar is
          > challenged, but most
          people don't want that fight.

          > Best Regards, Kevin
          >
          > Kevin Conlin
          > Heliosolar Design, Inc.
          > 13534 Quetzal
          Lane
          > Houston, TX 77083
          > C: (281) 202-9629
          > H: (281)
          530-7501
          <mailto:kevin@ ...> ign.com

          <kevin@> wrote:

> [...]
          that is
          > > suitable for use with a battery based backup system. In the
          event of a
          > > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion of your
          home will have air
          > > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a
          small off grid cabin or beach
          > > house.
          > >
          > > The
          unit seemed to be well built and well thought out. With quiet

          operation, no duct work and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
          > > product whose time has come. This coming from a curmudgeon!
          > >
          > > The tour was followed by a friendly happy hour at Las Rosas
          Mexican
          > > Restaurant, where topics from Permaculture to Driver Ed
          were discussed. A
          > > good time was had by all.
          > >
          > > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and sharing

          Kevin Conlin
          > > Heliosolar Design, Inc.
          > > 13534 Quetzal
          Lane
          > > Houston, TX 77083
          > > C: (281) 202-9629

          H: (281) 530-7501
          > > F: (281) 530-7501
          > > kevin@

          270.13.97/2370 - Release Date: 09/14/09
          > 11:36:00
          >

          > No virus found in this incoming
          message.
          Database: 270.13.97/2370 - Release Date: 09/14/09

          11:36:00