Re: [hreg] Re: HREG Solar Air Conditioning Tour Recap

  • Sue
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
      Hello my old friend contact me at slehrer@...

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 14, 2009, at 8:45 PM, Susan Silvano <susans@...> wrote:

      Although my company is headquartered in Houston, we live in St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands.  We have built our home there, and have installed five Mr. Slim's in our home,  two in the apartment under our house and one in the pool cabana.  The first was installed about three years ago.  We have not had a minute's trouble with any of the units and they work great.  We got federal and territory rebates on each of the units.  The filters are easily removed and we wash them about once a quarter.  I highly recommend going in this direction vs. a ducted system - much cheaper and more efficient as we very rarely turn on all the units.

      Now, all we have to do is figure out how to get them to work using solar.

      Regards,

      Susan

      Susan Silvano
      President
      Career Management International, Inc.
      713-623-8780 Corporate Office
      713-252-0924 Cell

      CMI. Supporting the business of people.

      On Sep 14, 2009, at 4:30 PM, Kevin Conlin wrote:

      Hi Jay,  Good question, no one asked about the filter, but I'm guessing it does have a washable one inside the unit.

      I agree, between no duct work, selective cooling and high efficiency, I too believe they are the next wave.  Problem is finding anyone willing to learn the technology.  It took me 3 months to find a cooperative ac contractor as we just installed a 2 zone Mitsubishi Mr.. Slim on our community clubhouse.  Every one tried to talk me into ductwork.

      Since solar panels are not specifically excluded in deed restrictions, it might be worth educating the architectural committee on your homeowners BOD.
      Traditionally the courts have ruled in favor of the homeowners when solar is challenged, but most people don't want that fight.

      Best Regards,  Kevin

      Kevin Conlin
      Heliosolar Design, Inc.
      13534 Quetzal Lane
      Houston, TX 77083
      C:  (281) 202-9629
      H:  (281) 530-7501
      F:  (281) 530-7501

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
        My contractor just finished installing a two zone heat pump Mr. Slim in our community clubhouse, and the only way you can tell if they're on is by the LED's.  The indoor units are 3 speed, which is a nice feature, but even on high, the ceiling fans make more noise. Even the outdoor unit is barely audible.

        Kevin Conlin
        Heliosolar Design, Inc.
        13534 Quetzal Lane
        Houston, TX 77083
        C:  (281) 202-9629
        H:  (281) 530-7501
        F:  (281) 530-7501

      • jay.ring@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
          I know Sanyo and LG make models too, but I can't tell if they are different or just rebrands. I would love some sort of break down.

          Next up someone needs to design one of these crossed with a ground source heat pump :)

          Is the Mr Slim DC powered, or AC only? I am not against AC powered, there is a lot of convenience there for code compliance, but for solar, the whole DC to AC to DC and then back to AC seems a little much...

          There is another good push we could all work on - update the N.E.C. to be DC friendlier!

        • Kevin Conlin
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
            Jay, I've only seen AC units, and you're right, the extra conversion costs efficiency. I think the Sol Cool is probably your best bet for DC, but I understand they are not yet in full production. I believe Milton said end of the year.

            As efficient as they are, I'm not sure you'd gain a whole lot with geosource, might be a longer payback than the extra solar power you'd need without it.

            The Sol Cool 18,000 BTU has a COP of 5.5, consumes 1000W average.

            Interesting question, anyone care to crunch the numbers?

            Kevin Conlin
            Heliosolar Design, Inc.
            13534 Quetzal Lane
            Houston, TX 77083
            C:  (281) 202-9629
            H:  (281) 530-7501
            F:  (281) 530-7501

            I know Sanyo and LG make models too, but I can't tell if they are different or just rebrands. I would love some sort of break down.

            Next up someone needs to design one of these crossed with a ground source heat pump :)

            Is the Mr Slim DC powered, or AC only? I am not against AC powered, there is a lot of convenience there for code compliance, but for solar, the whole DC to AC to DC and then back to AC seems a little much...

            There is another good push we could all work on - update the N.E.C. to be DC friendlier!

            --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "Kevin Conlin" <kevin@...> wrote:

            > My contractor just finished
            installing a two zone heat pump Mr. Slim in our
            > community clubhouse, and
            the only way you can tell if they're on is by the
            > LED's. The indoor
            units are 3 speed, which is a nice feature, but even on
            > high, the
            ceiling fans make more noise. Even the outdoor unit is barely

            audible.

            > Kevin Conlin
            > Heliosolar Design, Inc.

            13534 Quetzal Lane
            > Houston, TX 77083
            > C: (281) 202-9629

            H: (281) 530-7501

            href="mailto:hreg%40yahoogroups.com">hreg@yahoogroups. com [mailto:hreg@yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Susan

            To: hreg@yahoogroups. com

            wrote:

            > Hi Jay, Good question, no one
            asked about the filter, but I'm guessing it
            > does have a washable one
            inside the unit.

            > I agree, between no duct work, selective
            cooling and high efficiency, I too
            > believe they are the next wave.
            Problem is finding anyone willing to learn
            > the technology. It took me 3
            months to find a cooperative ac contractor as
            > we just installed a 2 zone
            Mitsubishi Mr.. Slim on our community clubhouse.
            > Every one tried to talk
            me into ductwork.

            > Since solar panels are not specifically
            excluded in deed restrictions, it
            > might be worth educating the
            architectural committee on your homeowners BOD.
            > Traditionally the courts
            have ruled in favor of the homeowners when solar is
            > challenged, but most
            people don't want that fight.

            > Best Regards, Kevin
            >
            > Kevin Conlin
            > Heliosolar Design, Inc.
            > 13534 Quetzal
            Lane
            > Houston, TX 77083
            > C: (281) 202-9629
            > H: (281)
            530-7501
            <mailto:kevin@ ...> ign.com

            <kevin@> wrote:

> [...]
            that is
            > > suitable for use with a battery based backup system. In the
            event of a
            > > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion of your
            home will have air
            > > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a
            small off grid cabin or beach
            > > house.
            > >
            > > The
            unit seemed to be well built and well thought out. With quiet

            operation, no duct work and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
            > > product whose time has come. This coming from a curmudgeon!
            > >
            > > The tour was followed by a friendly happy hour at Las Rosas
            Mexican
            > > Restaurant, where topics from Permaculture to Driver Ed
            were discussed. A
            > > good time was had by all.
            > >
            > > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and sharing

            Kevin Conlin
            > > Heliosolar Design, Inc.
            > > 13534 Quetzal
            Lane
            > > Houston, TX 77083
            > > C: (281) 202-9629

            H: (281) 530-7501
            > > F: (281) 530-7501
            > > kevin@

            270.13.97/2370 - Release Date: 09/14/09
            > 11:36:00
            >

            > No virus found in this incoming
            message.
            Database: 270.13.97/2370 - Release Date: 09/14/09

            11:36:00