Re: [hreg] Re: HREG Solar Air Conditioning Tour Recap

  • Susan Silvano
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
      Although my company is headquartered in Houston, we live in St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands.  We have built our home there, and have installed five Mr. Slim's in our home,  two in the apartment under our house and one in the pool cabana.  The first was installed about three years ago.  We have not had a minute's trouble with any of the units and they work great.  We got federal and territory rebates on each of the units.  The filters are easily removed and we wash them about once a quarter.  I highly recommend going in this direction vs. a ducted system - much cheaper and more efficient as we very rarely turn on all the units.

      Now, all we have to do is figure out how to get them to work using solar.

      Regards,

      Susan

      Susan Silvano
      President
      Career Management International, Inc.
      713-623-8780 Corporate Office
      713-252-0924 Cell

      CMI. Supporting the business of people.

      On Sep 14, 2009, at 4:30 PM, Kevin Conlin wrote:

      Hi Jay,  Good question, no one asked about the filter, but I'm guessing it does have a washable one inside the unit.

      I agree, between no duct work, selective cooling and high efficiency, I too believe they are the next wave.  Problem is finding anyone willing to learn the technology.  It took me 3 months to find a cooperative ac contractor as we just installed a 2 zone Mitsubishi Mr.. Slim on our community clubhouse.  Every one tried to talk me into ductwork.

      Since solar panels are not specifically excluded in deed restrictions, it might be worth educating the architectural committee on your homeowners BOD.
      Traditionally the courts have ruled in favor of the homeowners when solar is challenged, but most people don't want that fight.

      Best Regards,  Kevin

      Kevin Conlin
      Heliosolar Design, Inc.
      13534 Quetzal Lane
      Houston, TX 77083
      C:  (281) 202-9629
      H:  (281) 530-7501
      F:  (281) 530-7501

> [...]

        > The thing that impressed me the most is because of the relatively low power
        > draw and DC operation, this is the first AC unit I have seen that is
        > suitable for use with a battery based backup system. In the event of a
        > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion of your home will have air
        > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a small off grid cabin or beach
        > house.
        >
        > The unit seemed to be well built and well thought out. With quiet
        > operation, no duct work and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
        > product whose time has come. This coming from a curmudgeon!
        >
        > The tour was followed by a friendly happy hour at Las Rosas Mexican
        > Restaurant, where topics from Permaculture to Driver Ed were discussed. A
        > good time was had by all.
        >
        > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and sharing your

      • Kevin Conlin
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
          My contractor just finished installing a two zone heat pump Mr. Slim in our community clubhouse, and the only way you can tell if they're on is by the LED's.  The indoor units are 3 speed, which is a nice feature, but even on high, the ceiling fans make more noise. Even the outdoor unit is barely audible.

          Kevin Conlin
          Heliosolar Design, Inc.
          13534 Quetzal Lane
          Houston, TX 77083
          C:  (281) 202-9629
          H:  (281) 530-7501
          F:  (281) 530-7501

        • jay.ring@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
            I know Sanyo and LG make models too, but I can't tell if they are different or just rebrands. I would love some sort of break down.

            Next up someone needs to design one of these crossed with a ground source heat pump :)

            Is the Mr Slim DC powered, or AC only? I am not against AC powered, there is a lot of convenience there for code compliance, but for solar, the whole DC to AC to DC and then back to AC seems a little much...

            There is another good push we could all work on - update the N.E.C. to be DC friendlier!

          • Kevin Conlin
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
              Jay, I've only seen AC units, and you're right, the extra conversion costs efficiency. I think the Sol Cool is probably your best bet for DC, but I understand they are not yet in full production. I believe Milton said end of the year.

              As efficient as they are, I'm not sure you'd gain a whole lot with geosource, might be a longer payback than the extra solar power you'd need without it.

              The Sol Cool 18,000 BTU has a COP of 5.5, consumes 1000W average.

              Interesting question, anyone care to crunch the numbers?

              Kevin Conlin
              Heliosolar Design, Inc.
              13534 Quetzal Lane
              Houston, TX 77083
              C:  (281) 202-9629
              H:  (281) 530-7501
              F:  (281) 530-7501

              I know Sanyo and LG make models too, but I can't tell if they are different or just rebrands. I would love some sort of break down.

              Next up someone needs to design one of these crossed with a ground source heat pump :)

              Is the Mr Slim DC powered, or AC only? I am not against AC powered, there is a lot of convenience there for code compliance, but for solar, the whole DC to AC to DC and then back to AC seems a little much...

              There is another good push we could all work on - update the N.E.C. to be DC friendlier!

              --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "Kevin Conlin" <kevin@...> wrote:

              > My contractor just finished
              installing a two zone heat pump Mr. Slim in our
              > community clubhouse, and
              the only way you can tell if they're on is by the
              > LED's. The indoor
              units are 3 speed, which is a nice feature, but even on
              > high, the
              ceiling fans make more noise. Even the outdoor unit is barely

              audible.

              > Kevin Conlin
              > Heliosolar Design, Inc.

              13534 Quetzal Lane
              > Houston, TX 77083
              > C: (281) 202-9629

              H: (281) 530-7501

              href="mailto:hreg%40yahoogroups.com">hreg@yahoogroups. com [mailto:hreg@yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Susan

              To: hreg@yahoogroups. com

              wrote:

              > Hi Jay, Good question, no one
              asked about the filter, but I'm guessing it
              > does have a washable one
              inside the unit.

              > I agree, between no duct work, selective
              cooling and high efficiency, I too
              > believe they are the next wave.
              Problem is finding anyone willing to learn
              > the technology. It took me 3
              months to find a cooperative ac contractor as
              > we just installed a 2 zone
              Mitsubishi Mr.. Slim on our community clubhouse.
              > Every one tried to talk
              me into ductwork.

              > Since solar panels are not specifically
              excluded in deed restrictions, it
              > might be worth educating the
              architectural committee on your homeowners BOD.
              > Traditionally the courts
              have ruled in favor of the homeowners when solar is
              > challenged, but most
              people don't want that fight.

              > Best Regards, Kevin
              >
              > Kevin Conlin
              > Heliosolar Design, Inc.
              > 13534 Quetzal
              Lane
              > Houston, TX 77083
              > C: (281) 202-9629
              > H: (281)
              530-7501
              <mailto:kevin@ ...> ign.com

              <kevin@> wrote:

> [...]
              that is
              > > suitable for use with a battery based backup system. In the
              event of a
              > > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion of your
              home will have air
              > > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a
              small off grid cabin or beach
              > > house.
              > >
              > > The
              unit seemed to be well built and well thought out. With quiet

              operation, no duct work and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
              > > product whose time has come. This coming from a curmudgeon!
              > >
              > > The tour was followed by a friendly happy hour at Las Rosas
              Mexican
              > > Restaurant, where topics from Permaculture to Driver Ed
              were discussed. A
              > > good time was had by all.
              > >
              > > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and sharing

              Kevin Conlin
              > > Heliosolar Design, Inc.
              > > 13534 Quetzal
              Lane
              > > Houston, TX 77083
              > > C: (281) 202-9629

              H: (281) 530-7501
              > > F: (281) 530-7501
              > > kevin@

              270.13.97/2370 - Release Date: 09/14/09
              > 11:36:00
              >

              > No virus found in this incoming
              message.
              Database: 270.13.97/2370 - Release Date: 09/14/09

              11:36:00