Re: [hreg] Re: HREG Solar Air Conditioning Tour Recap

  • justin@gulfcoastrenewableresources.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
      Kevin,

      I have been doing a lot of research on the Mitsubishi Mr. Slim and I really like the efficiency of them. The SolCool unit we saw on Saturday was set up in a similar fashion, just run by beautiful solar power. How would you say the Mr. Slim works by comparison to standard ductwork systems? I'm also curious as to the cost comparison as well.

      As to the HOA, I've noticed several of them have slightly veered from their policy(if actually stated) and allowed collectors as long as they are not viewable from the street. This is not always a good thing, given the placement of the home, but works in some scenarios nonetheless. By mitigating the placement of collectors in "non-viewable" areas, some homeowners may still have the opportunity to proceed without any major battle. You said it right... educating those involved is the best thing we can do.

      Best Regards,

      Justin Owens
      Gulf Coast Renewable Resources
      (409)766-0208
      www.GulfCoastRenewableResources.com

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
        Hi Justin, We just now finished installing the Mr.. Slim, but because our clubhouse is used infrequently, I really don't know how it would stack up. We replaced an old window unit, which was noisy, inefficient, and ironically, prohibited by our deed restrictions.

        We bought a 2 zone, 24000BTU Mr. Slim heat pump with wall mounting bracket and two sets of precharged lines for the 2 zones for under $3,000. It cost us another $1,000 to have it installed.  Ducted systems were in the $5000 range and up, so lower installation costs and lower operating costs, no air handler, no ductwork and no noise.

        The condenser on the SolCool was quite a bit larger than the Mr. Slim, even though it is of smaller capacity, so as I mentioned, I think they have increased the heat exchanger size to squeeze more efficiency out of it. I think the Mr. Slim is about a 16 SEER, and the SolCool was advertised at over 20.

        I just like the idea of not having ducts and their associated problems and heat losses in a hot attic. This unit is also very quiet and I like the remote controls better than a wall mount thermostat, but that may be a guy thing, we tend to love remote controls......

        Hope this helps, you're welcome to see our system any time if you wish.

        Regards,  Kevin

        Kevin Conlin
        Heliosolar Design, Inc.
        13534 Quetzal Lane
        Houston, TX 77083
        C:  (281) 202-9629
        H:  (281) 530-7501
        F:  (281) 530-7501

        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
          Thanks Kevin...that information is very helpful.

          Here are some pictures my wife took from Saturday night. I hope I'm attaching these correctly...

          Some of you may even be in them.

          -Justin

          Justin Owens

        • Susan Silvano
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
            Although my company is headquartered in Houston, we live in St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands.  We have built our home there, and have installed five Mr. Slim's in our home,  two in the apartment under our house and one in the pool cabana.  The first was installed about three years ago.  We have not had a minute's trouble with any of the units and they work great.  We got federal and territory rebates on each of the units.  The filters are easily removed and we wash them about once a quarter.  I highly recommend going in this direction vs. a ducted system - much cheaper and more efficient as we very rarely turn on all the units.

            Now, all we have to do is figure out how to get them to work using solar.

            Regards,

            Susan

            Susan Silvano
            President
            Career Management International, Inc.
            713-623-8780 Corporate Office
            713-252-0924 Cell

            CMI. Supporting the business of people.

            On Sep 14, 2009, at 4:30 PM, Kevin Conlin wrote:

> [...]

            > The thing that impressed me the most is because of the relatively low power
            > draw and DC operation, this is the first AC unit I have seen that is
            > suitable for use with a battery based backup system. In the event of a
            > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion of your home will have air
            > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a small off grid cabin or beach
            > house.
            >
            > The unit seemed to be well built and well thought out. With quiet
            > operation, no duct work and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
            > product whose time has come. This coming from a curmudgeon!
            >
            > The tour was followed by a friendly happy hour at Las Rosas Mexican
            > Restaurant, where topics from Permaculture to Driver Ed were discussed. A
            > good time was had by all.
            >
            > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and sharing your

          • Sue

> [...]

              > The thing that impressed me the most is because of the relatively low power
              > draw and DC operation, this is the first AC unit I have seen that is
              > suitable for use with a battery based backup system. In the event of a
              > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion of your home will have air
              > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a small off grid cabin or beach
              > house.
              >
              > The unit seemed to be well built and well thought out. With quiet
              > operation, no duct work and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
              > product whose time has come. This coming from a curmudgeon!
              >
              > The tour was followed by a friendly happy hour at Las Rosas Mexican
              > Restaurant, where topics from Permaculture to Driver Ed were discussed. A
              > good time was had by all.
              >
              > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and sharing your

            • Kevin Conlin
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
                My contractor just finished installing a two zone heat pump Mr. Slim in our community clubhouse, and the only way you can tell if they're on is by the LED's.  The indoor units are 3 speed, which is a nice feature, but even on high, the ceiling fans make more noise. Even the outdoor unit is barely audible.

                Kevin Conlin
                Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                13534 Quetzal Lane
                Houston, TX 77083
                C:  (281) 202-9629
                H:  (281) 530-7501
                F:  (281) 530-7501

              • jay.ring@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
                  I know Sanyo and LG make models too, but I can't tell if they are different or just rebrands. I would love some sort of break down.

                  Next up someone needs to design one of these crossed with a ground source heat pump :)

                  Is the Mr Slim DC powered, or AC only? I am not against AC powered, there is a lot of convenience there for code compliance, but for solar, the whole DC to AC to DC and then back to AC seems a little much...

                  There is another good push we could all work on - update the N.E.C. to be DC friendlier!

                • Kevin Conlin
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
                    Jay, I've only seen AC units, and you're right, the extra conversion costs efficiency. I think the Sol Cool is probably your best bet for DC, but I understand they are not yet in full production. I believe Milton said end of the year.

                    As efficient as they are, I'm not sure you'd gain a whole lot with geosource, might be a longer payback than the extra solar power you'd need without it.

                    The Sol Cool 18,000 BTU has a COP of 5.5, consumes 1000W average.

                    Interesting question, anyone care to crunch the numbers?

                    Kevin Conlin
                    Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                    13534 Quetzal Lane
                    Houston, TX 77083
                    C:  (281) 202-9629
                    H:  (281) 530-7501
                    F:  (281) 530-7501

                    I know Sanyo and LG make models too, but I can't tell if they are different or just rebrands. I would love some sort of break down.

                    Next up someone needs to design one of these crossed with a ground source heat pump :)

                    Is the Mr Slim DC powered, or AC only? I am not against AC powered, there is a lot of convenience there for code compliance, but for solar, the whole DC to AC to DC and then back to AC seems a little much...

                    There is another good push we could all work on - update the N.E.C. to be DC friendlier!

                    --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "Kevin Conlin" <kevin@...> wrote:

                    > My contractor just finished
                    installing a two zone heat pump Mr. Slim in our
                    > community clubhouse, and
                    the only way you can tell if they're on is by the
                    > LED's. The indoor
                    units are 3 speed, which is a nice feature, but even on
                    > high, the
                    ceiling fans make more noise. Even the outdoor unit is barely

                    audible.

                    > Kevin Conlin
                    > Heliosolar Design, Inc.

                    13534 Quetzal Lane
                    > Houston, TX 77083
                    > C: (281) 202-9629

                    H: (281) 530-7501

                    href="mailto:hreg%40yahoogroups.com">hreg@yahoogroups. com [mailto:hreg@yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Susan

                    To: hreg@yahoogroups. com
                    > Cc:
                    Susan Silvano
                    > Subject: Re: [hreg] Re: HREG Solar Air Conditioning Tour
                    Recap

                    > Although my company is
                    headquartered in Houston, we live in St. Thomas in
                    > the U.S. Virgin
                    Islands. We have built our home there, and have installed
                    > five Mr.
                    Slim's in our home, two in the apartment under our house and one
                    > in the
                    pool cabana. The first was installed about three years ago. We have
                    > not
                    had a minute's trouble with any of the units and they work great. We
                    > got
                    federal and territory rebates on each of the units. The filters are

                    easily removed and we wash them about once a quarter. I highly recommend

                    going in this direction vs. a ducted system - much cheaper and more

                    efficient as we very rarely turn on all the units.

                    Now, all we have to do is figure out how to get them to work using solar.

                    > Regards,
                    >
                    > Susan
                    >
                    > Susan Silvano
                    > President
                    > Career Management
                    International, Inc.
                    > 713-623-8780 Corporate Office
                    > 713-252-0924
                    Cell

                    > CMI. Supporting the business of people.
                    >

                    > On Sep 14, 2009, at 4:30 PM, Kevin Conlin
                    wrote:

                    > Hi Jay, Good question, no one
                    asked about the filter, but I'm guessing it
                    > does have a washable one
                    inside the unit.

                    > I agree, between no duct work, selective
                    cooling and high efficiency, I too
                    > believe they are the next wave.
                    Problem is finding anyone willing to learn
                    > the technology. It took me 3
                    months to find a cooperative ac contractor as
                    > we just installed a 2 zone
                    Mitsubishi Mr.. Slim on our community clubhouse.
                    > Every one tried to talk
                    me into ductwork.

                    > Since solar panels are not specifically
                    excluded in deed restrictions, it
                    > might be worth educating the
                    architectural committee on your homeowners BOD.
                    > Traditionally the courts
                    have ruled in favor of the homeowners when solar is
                    > challenged, but most
                    people don't want that fight.

                    > Best Regards, Kevin
                    >
                    > Kevin Conlin
                    > Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                    > 13534 Quetzal
                    Lane
                    > Houston, TX 77083
                    > C: (281) 202-9629
                    > H: (281)
                    530-7501
                    <mailto:kevin@ ...> ign.com

                    <kevin@> wrote:

> [...]
                    that is
                    > > suitable for use with a battery based backup system. In the
                    event of a
                    > > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion of your
                    home will have air
                    > > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a
                    small off grid cabin or beach
                    > > house.
                    > >
                    > > The
                    unit seemed to be well built and well thought out. With quiet

                    operation, no duct work and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
                    > > product whose time has come. This coming from a curmudgeon!
                    > >
                    > > The tour was followed by a friendly happy hour at Las Rosas
                    Mexican
                    > > Restaurant, where topics from Permaculture to Driver Ed
                    were discussed. A
                    > > good time was had by all.
                    > >
                    > > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and sharing

                    Kevin Conlin
                    > > Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                    > > 13534 Quetzal
                    Lane
                    > > Houston, TX 77083
                    > > C: (281) 202-9629

                    H: (281) 530-7501
                    > > F: (281) 530-7501
                    > > kevin@

                    270.13.97/2370 - Release Date: 09/14/09
                    > 11:36:00
                    >

                    > No virus found in this incoming
                    message.
                    Database: 270.13.97/2370 - Release Date: 09/14/09

                    11:36:00