Re: [hreg] Re: HREG Solar Air Conditioning Tour Recap

  • Justin Owens
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
      A good time was definitely had by all. Thanks Milton for the invite! I'll upload some more pictures later today.

      The filtration is similar to that of a window unit. Yes, more than likely, a washable style.

      -Justin

      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
        Hi Jay,  Good question, no one asked about the filter, but I'm guessing it does have a washable one inside the unit.

        I agree, between no duct work, selective cooling and high efficiency, I too believe they are the next wave.  Problem is finding anyone willing to learn the technology.  It took me 3 months to find a cooperative ac contractor as we just installed a 2 zone Mitsubishi Mr.. Slim on our community clubhouse.  Every one tried to talk me into ductwork.

        Since solar panels are not specifically excluded in deed restrictions, it might be worth educating the architectural committee on your homeowners BOD.
        Traditionally the courts have ruled in favor of the homeowners when solar is challenged, but most people don't want that fight.

        Best Regards,  Kevin

        Kevin Conlin
        Heliosolar Design, Inc.
        13534 Quetzal Lane
        Houston, TX 77083
        C:  (281) 202-9629
        H:  (281) 530-7501
        F:  (281) 530-7501

        That was a great summery, very detailed. Thanks Kevin!

        I was planning on going, I was very disappointed to miss it.

        These split systems seem to be the way forward, at least for the energy/cost conscious crowd. The part about only cooling the part of the house that is occupied is huge!

        The part about the HOA is really disappointing, and continues to be disappointing. For the life of me I can not understand why people wouldn't want them in the neighborhood. This is something I think we can all work on.

        One question I have is about air filtration. Everyone knows how it gets filtered in a central air system. Is it just ignored in a split system, or part of the per-room unit? Is is an issue at all? I use washable filters to reduce waste, is something like that available?

        --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "Kevin Conlin" <kevin@...> wrote:

        > I thought I would summarize the
        tour for those who couldn't make it.

        > Milton and his wife Pat
        were very gracious hosting about 40 people. The
        > indoor unit was very
        quiet and even featured emergency lights for power
        > outages that run off
        the battery bank. It uses a convenient wireless remote
        > rather than a
        conventional thermostat

        > The outdoor unit was also extremely
        quiet, you could talk in a normal tone
        > of voice even while standing
        right next to it. It seemed very large for a
        > 1.5 ton condenser, so I'm
        guessing one way they make it so efficient is with
        > a larger than normal
        heat exchanger. The fan was whisper quiet. The system
        > does have
        provisions for 120VAC input, using the grid for backup gets you
        > the best
        of both worlds.

        > Milton's approach is too leave the 120VAC
        unplugged, as his intention is to
> [...]
        unit I have seen that is
        > suitable for use with a battery based backup
        system. In the event of a
        > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion
        of your home will have air
        > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a
        small off grid cabin or beach
        > house.
        >
        > The unit seemed to
        be well built and well thought out. With quiet
        > operation, no duct work
        and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
        > product whose time has
        come. This coming from a curmudgeon!

        > The tour was followed by a
        friendly happy hour at Las Rosas Mexican
        > Restaurant, where topics from
        Permaculture to Driver Ed were discussed. A
        > good time was had by
        all.

        > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and

        Conlin
        > Heliosolar Design, Inc.
        > 13534 Quetzal Lane

        Houston, TX 77083
        > C: (281) 202-9629
        > H: (281) 530-7501
        > F:
        (281) 530-7501

      • justin@gulfcoastrenewableresources.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
          Kevin,

          I have been doing a lot of research on the Mitsubishi Mr. Slim and I really like the efficiency of them. The SolCool unit we saw on Saturday was set up in a similar fashion, just run by beautiful solar power. How would you say the Mr. Slim works by comparison to standard ductwork systems? I'm also curious as to the cost comparison as well.

          As to the HOA, I've noticed several of them have slightly veered from their policy(if actually stated) and allowed collectors as long as they are not viewable from the street. This is not always a good thing, given the placement of the home, but works in some scenarios nonetheless. By mitigating the placement of collectors in "non-viewable" areas, some homeowners may still have the opportunity to proceed without any major battle. You said it right... educating those involved is the best thing we can do.

          Best Regards,

          Justin Owens
          Gulf Coast Renewable Resources
          (409)766-0208
          www.GulfCoastRenewableResources.com

> [...]

          > The thing that impressed me the most is because of the relatively low power
          > draw and DC operation, this is the first AC unit I have seen that is
          > suitable for use with a battery based backup system. In the event of a
          > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion of your home will have air
          > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a small off grid cabin or beach
          > house.
          >
          > The unit seemed to be well built and well thought out. With quiet
          > operation, no duct work and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
          > product whose time has come. This coming from a curmudgeon!
          >
          > The tour was followed by a friendly happy hour at Las Rosas Mexican
          > Restaurant, where topics from Permaculture to Driver Ed were discussed. A
          > good time was had by all.
          >
          > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and sharing your

        • Kevin Conlin
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
            Hi Justin, We just now finished installing the Mr.. Slim, but because our clubhouse is used infrequently, I really don't know how it would stack up. We replaced an old window unit, which was noisy, inefficient, and ironically, prohibited by our deed restrictions.

            We bought a 2 zone, 24000BTU Mr. Slim heat pump with wall mounting bracket and two sets of precharged lines for the 2 zones for under $3,000. It cost us another $1,000 to have it installed.  Ducted systems were in the $5000 range and up, so lower installation costs and lower operating costs, no air handler, no ductwork and no noise.

            The condenser on the SolCool was quite a bit larger than the Mr. Slim, even though it is of smaller capacity, so as I mentioned, I think they have increased the heat exchanger size to squeeze more efficiency out of it. I think the Mr. Slim is about a 16 SEER, and the SolCool was advertised at over 20.

            I just like the idea of not having ducts and their associated problems and heat losses in a hot attic. This unit is also very quiet and I like the remote controls better than a wall mount thermostat, but that may be a guy thing, we tend to love remote controls......

            Hope this helps, you're welcome to see our system any time if you wish.

            Regards,  Kevin

            Kevin Conlin
            Heliosolar Design, Inc.
            13534 Quetzal Lane
            Houston, TX 77083
            C:  (281) 202-9629
            H:  (281) 530-7501
            F:  (281) 530-7501

            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
              Thanks Kevin...that information is very helpful.

              Here are some pictures my wife took from Saturday night. I hope I'm attaching these correctly...

              Some of you may even be in them.

              -Justin

              Justin Owens

            • Susan Silvano
              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
                Although my company is headquartered in Houston, we live in St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands.  We have built our home there, and have installed five Mr. Slim's in our home,  two in the apartment under our house and one in the pool cabana.  The first was installed about three years ago.  We have not had a minute's trouble with any of the units and they work great.  We got federal and territory rebates on each of the units.  The filters are easily removed and we wash them about once a quarter.  I highly recommend going in this direction vs. a ducted system - much cheaper and more efficient as we very rarely turn on all the units.

                Now, all we have to do is figure out how to get them to work using solar.

                Regards,

                Susan

                Susan Silvano
                President
                Career Management International, Inc.
                713-623-8780 Corporate Office
                713-252-0924 Cell

                CMI. Supporting the business of people.

                On Sep 14, 2009, at 4:30 PM, Kevin Conlin wrote:

> [...]

                > The thing that impressed me the most is because of the relatively low power
                > draw and DC operation, this is the first AC unit I have seen that is
                > suitable for use with a battery based backup system. In the event of a
                > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion of your home will have air
                > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a small off grid cabin or beach
                > house.
                >
                > The unit seemed to be well built and well thought out. With quiet
                > operation, no duct work and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
                > product whose time has come. This coming from a curmudgeon!
                >
                > The tour was followed by a friendly happy hour at Las Rosas Mexican
                > Restaurant, where topics from Permaculture to Driver Ed were discussed. A
                > good time was had by all.
                >
                > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and sharing your

              • Sue

> [...]

                  > The thing that impressed me the most is because of the relatively low power
                  > draw and DC operation, this is the first AC unit I have seen that is
                  > suitable for use with a battery based backup system. In the event of a
                  > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion of your home will have air
                  > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a small off grid cabin or beach
                  > house.
                  >
                  > The unit seemed to be well built and well thought out. With quiet
                  > operation, no duct work and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
                  > product whose time has come. This coming from a curmudgeon!
                  >
                  > The tour was followed by a friendly happy hour at Las Rosas Mexican
                  > Restaurant, where topics from Permaculture to Driver Ed were discussed. A
                  > good time was had by all.
                  >
                  > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and sharing your

                • Kevin Conlin
                  Message 8 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
                    My contractor just finished installing a two zone heat pump Mr. Slim in our community clubhouse, and the only way you can tell if they're on is by the LED's.  The indoor units are 3 speed, which is a nice feature, but even on high, the ceiling fans make more noise. Even the outdoor unit is barely audible.

                    Kevin Conlin
                    Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                    13534 Quetzal Lane
                    Houston, TX 77083
                    C:  (281) 202-9629
                    H:  (281) 530-7501
                    F:  (281) 530-7501

                  • jay.ring@ymail.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
                      I know Sanyo and LG make models too, but I can't tell if they are different or just rebrands. I would love some sort of break down.

                      Next up someone needs to design one of these crossed with a ground source heat pump :)

                      Is the Mr Slim DC powered, or AC only? I am not against AC powered, there is a lot of convenience there for code compliance, but for solar, the whole DC to AC to DC and then back to AC seems a little much...

                      There is another good push we could all work on - update the N.E.C. to be DC friendlier!

                    • Kevin Conlin
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
                        Jay, I've only seen AC units, and you're right, the extra conversion costs efficiency. I think the Sol Cool is probably your best bet for DC, but I understand they are not yet in full production. I believe Milton said end of the year.

                        As efficient as they are, I'm not sure you'd gain a whole lot with geosource, might be a longer payback than the extra solar power you'd need without it.

                        The Sol Cool 18,000 BTU has a COP of 5.5, consumes 1000W average.

                        Interesting question, anyone care to crunch the numbers?

                        Kevin Conlin
                        Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                        13534 Quetzal Lane
                        Houston, TX 77083
                        C:  (281) 202-9629
                        H:  (281) 530-7501
                        F:  (281) 530-7501

                        I know Sanyo and LG make models too, but I can't tell if they are different or just rebrands. I would love some sort of break down.

                        Next up someone needs to design one of these crossed with a ground source heat pump :)

                        Is the Mr Slim DC powered, or AC only? I am not against AC powered, there is a lot of convenience there for code compliance, but for solar, the whole DC to AC to DC and then back to AC seems a little much...

                        There is another good push we could all work on - update the N.E.C. to be DC friendlier!

                        --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "Kevin Conlin" <kevin@...> wrote:

                        > My contractor just finished
                        installing a two zone heat pump Mr. Slim in our
                        > community clubhouse, and
                        the only way you can tell if they're on is by the
                        > LED's. The indoor
                        units are 3 speed, which is a nice feature, but even on
                        > high, the
                        ceiling fans make more noise. Even the outdoor unit is barely

                        audible.

                        > Kevin Conlin
                        > Heliosolar Design, Inc.

                        13534 Quetzal Lane
                        > Houston, TX 77083
                        > C: (281) 202-9629

                        H: (281) 530-7501

                        href="mailto:hreg%40yahoogroups.com">hreg@yahoogroups. com [mailto:hreg@yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Susan

                        To: hreg@yahoogroups. com
                        > Cc:
                        Susan Silvano
                        > Subject: Re: [hreg] Re: HREG Solar Air Conditioning Tour
                        Recap

                        > Although my company is
                        headquartered in Houston, we live in St. Thomas in
                        > the U.S. Virgin
                        Islands. We have built our home there, and have installed
                        > five Mr.
                        Slim's in our home, two in the apartment under our house and one
                        > in the
                        pool cabana. The first was installed about three years ago. We have
                        > not
                        had a minute's trouble with any of the units and they work great. We
                        > got
                        federal and territory rebates on each of the units. The filters are

                        easily removed and we wash them about once a quarter. I highly recommend

                        going in this direction vs. a ducted system - much cheaper and more

                        efficient as we very rarely turn on all the units.

                        Now, all we have to do is figure out how to get them to work using solar.

                        > Regards,
                        >
                        > Susan
                        >
                        > Susan Silvano
                        > President
                        > Career Management
                        International, Inc.
                        > 713-623-8780 Corporate Office
                        > 713-252-0924
                        Cell

                        > CMI. Supporting the business of people.
                        >

                        > On Sep 14, 2009, at 4:30 PM, Kevin Conlin
                        wrote:

                        > Hi Jay, Good question, no one
                        asked about the filter, but I'm guessing it
                        > does have a washable one
                        inside the unit.

                        > I agree, between no duct work, selective
                        cooling and high efficiency, I too
                        > believe they are the next wave.
                        Problem is finding anyone willing to learn
                        > the technology. It took me 3
                        months to find a cooperative ac contractor as
                        > we just installed a 2 zone
                        Mitsubishi Mr.. Slim on our community clubhouse.
                        > Every one tried to talk
                        me into ductwork.

                        > Since solar panels are not specifically
                        excluded in deed restrictions, it
                        > might be worth educating the
                        architectural committee on your homeowners BOD.
                        > Traditionally the courts
                        have ruled in favor of the homeowners when solar is
                        > challenged, but most
                        people don't want that fight.

                        > Best Regards, Kevin
                        >
                        > Kevin Conlin
                        > Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                        > 13534 Quetzal
                        Lane
                        > Houston, TX 77083
                        > C: (281) 202-9629
                        > H: (281)
                        530-7501
                        <mailto:kevin@ ...> ign.com

                        <kevin@> wrote:

> [...]
                        that is
                        > > suitable for use with a battery based backup system. In the
                        event of a
                        > > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion of your
                        home will have air
                        > > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a
                        small off grid cabin or beach
                        > > house.
                        > >
                        > > The
                        unit seemed to be well built and well thought out. With quiet

                        operation, no duct work and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
                        > > product whose time has come. This coming from a curmudgeon!
                        > >
                        > > The tour was followed by a friendly happy hour at Las Rosas
                        Mexican
                        > > Restaurant, where topics from Permaculture to Driver Ed
                        were discussed. A
                        > > good time was had by all.
                        > >
                        > > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and sharing

                        Kevin Conlin
                        > > Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                        > > 13534 Quetzal
                        Lane
                        > > Houston, TX 77083
                        > > C: (281) 202-9629

                        H: (281) 530-7501
                        > > F: (281) 530-7501
                        > > kevin@

                        270.13.97/2370 - Release Date: 09/14/09
                        > 11:36:00
                        >

                        > No virus found in this incoming
                        message.
                        Database: 270.13.97/2370 - Release Date: 09/14/09

                        11:36:00