Re: HREG Solar Air Conditioning Tour Recap

  • jay.ring@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
      That was a great summery, very detailed. Thanks Kevin!

      I was planning on going, I was very disappointed to miss it.

      These split systems seem to be the way forward, at least for the energy/cost conscious crowd. The part about only cooling the part of the house that is occupied is huge!

      The part about the HOA is really disappointing, and continues to be disappointing. For the life of me I can not understand why people wouldn't want them in the neighborhood. This is something I think we can all work on.

      One question I have is about air filtration. Everyone knows how it gets filtered in a central air system. Is it just ignored in a split system, or part of the per-room unit? Is is an issue at all? I use washable filters to reduce waste, is something like that available?

      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin Conlin" <kevin@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > the best of both worlds.
      >
      > Milton's approach is too leave the 120VAC unplugged, as his intention is to
      > use every bit of solar for cooling. He sees the system as a long term hedge
      > against rising utility costs, ignoring what might be calculated as payback.
      > He enjoys the satisfaction of offsetting his utility bill with his solar
      > system, and hopes to expand it in the future by adding another 1.5 ton unit.
      > It should be noted that the complete system does qualify for the 30% federal
      > tax credit, although in his case he had to "educate" the IRS a bit. (Good
      > thing he was a former teacher)
      >
      > The real beauty of the system is you only cool the portion of your house
      > that is occupied, especially effective at night. This strategy alone offers
      > utility savings.
      >
      > Four Sanyo 200W modules were mounted on a sturdy rack along the back fence,
      > as their home faces South and the HOA will not allow solar panels. Conduit
      > was run underground and was very clean, additional conduit for possible
      > future expansion was also installed, showing good forethought.
      >
      > The modules are very high efficiency, they feature an amorphous silicon
      > coating which raises their efficiency several points. They are preferred
      > where space is at a premium and maximum power density is needed.
      >
      > Milton is using an Outback MPPT controller, or Maximum Power Point Tracking,
      > which is a very good way to use higher voltage modules to charge a battery
      > bank. It is essentially a very efficient DC/DC converter which constantly
      > optimizes battery charging to get the most out of the solar array. Again,
      > there is also plenty of room for expansion, and the digital display gives
      > system status at a glance.
      >
      > Batteries are the old favorite, Trojan T-105's , 6V, 220Ah golf cart
      > batteries, which are the best battery you can get for the buck. They will
      > outlast gel batteries and cost half as much. They were safely installed in a
      > ventilated Rubbermaid storage bin with a temperature controlled fan.
      >
      > Overall the system was well done and safe.
      >
      > The thing that impressed me the most is because of the relatively low power
      > draw and DC operation, this is the first AC unit I have seen that is
      > suitable for use with a battery based backup system. In the event of a
      > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion of your home will have air
      > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a small off grid cabin or beach
      > house.
      >
      > The unit seemed to be well built and well thought out. With quiet
      > operation, no duct work and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
      > product whose time has come. This coming from a curmudgeon!
      >
      > The tour was followed by a friendly happy hour at Las Rosas Mexican
      > Restaurant, where topics from Permaculture to Driver Ed were discussed. A
      > good time was had by all.
      >
      > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and sharing your

    • Justin Owens
      Message 2 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
        A good time was definitely had by all. Thanks Milton for the invite! I'll upload some more pictures later today.

        The filtration is similar to that of a window unit. Yes, more than likely, a washable style.

        -Justin

> [...]

        > The thing that impressed me the most is because of the relatively low power
        > draw and DC operation, this is the first AC unit I have seen that is
        > suitable for use with a battery based backup system. In the event of a
        > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion of your home will have air
        > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a small off grid cabin or beach
        > house.
        >
        > The unit seemed to be well built and well thought out. With quiet
        > operation, no duct work and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
        > product whose time has come. This coming from a curmudgeon!
        >
        > The tour was followed by a friendly happy hour at Las Rosas
        Mexican
        > Restaurant, where topics from Permaculture to Driver Ed were discussed. A
        > good time was had by all.
        >
        > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and sharing your

      • Kevin Conlin
        Message 3 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
          Hi Jay,  Good question, no one asked about the filter, but I'm guessing it does have a washable one inside the unit.

          I agree, between no duct work, selective cooling and high efficiency, I too believe they are the next wave.  Problem is finding anyone willing to learn the technology.  It took me 3 months to find a cooperative ac contractor as we just installed a 2 zone Mitsubishi Mr.. Slim on our community clubhouse.  Every one tried to talk me into ductwork.

          Since solar panels are not specifically excluded in deed restrictions, it might be worth educating the architectural committee on your homeowners BOD.
          Traditionally the courts have ruled in favor of the homeowners when solar is challenged, but most people don't want that fight.

          Best Regards,  Kevin

          Kevin Conlin
          Heliosolar Design, Inc.
          13534 Quetzal Lane
          Houston, TX 77083
          C:  (281) 202-9629
          H:  (281) 530-7501
          F:  (281) 530-7501

> [...]

          unit I have seen that is
          > suitable for use with a battery based backup
          system. In the event of a
          > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion
          of your home will have air
          > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a
          small off grid cabin or beach
          > house.
          >
          > The unit seemed to
          be well built and well thought out. With quiet
          > operation, no duct work
          and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
          > product whose time has
          come. This coming from a curmudgeon!

          > The tour was followed by a
          friendly happy hour at Las Rosas Mexican
          > Restaurant, where topics from
          Permaculture to Driver Ed were discussed. A
          > good time was had by
          all.

          > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and

          Conlin
          > Heliosolar Design, Inc.
          > 13534 Quetzal Lane

          Houston, TX 77083
          > C: (281) 202-9629
          > H: (281) 530-7501
          > F:
          (281) 530-7501

        • justin@gulfcoastrenewableresources.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
            Kevin,

            I have been doing a lot of research on the Mitsubishi Mr. Slim and I really like the efficiency of them. The SolCool unit we saw on Saturday was set up in a similar fashion, just run by beautiful solar power. How would you say the Mr. Slim works by comparison to standard ductwork systems? I'm also curious as to the cost comparison as well.

            As to the HOA, I've noticed several of them have slightly veered from their policy(if actually stated) and allowed collectors as long as they are not viewable from the street. This is not always a good thing, given the placement of the home, but works in some scenarios nonetheless. By mitigating the placement of collectors in "non-viewable" areas, some homeowners may still have the opportunity to proceed without any major battle. You said it right... educating those involved is the best thing we can do.

            Best Regards,

            Justin Owens
            Gulf Coast Renewable Resources
            (409)766-0208
            www.GulfCoastRenewableResources.com

> [...]

            > The thing that impressed me the most is because of the relatively low power
            > draw and DC operation, this is the first AC unit I have seen that is
            > suitable for use with a battery based backup system. In the event of a
            > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion of your home will have air
            > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a small off grid cabin or beach
            > house.
            >
            > The unit seemed to be well built and well thought out. With quiet
            > operation, no duct work and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
            > product whose time has come. This coming from a curmudgeon!
            >
            > The tour was followed by a friendly happy hour at Las Rosas Mexican
            > Restaurant, where topics from Permaculture to Driver Ed were discussed. A
            > good time was had by all.
            >
            > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and sharing your

          • Kevin Conlin
            Message 5 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
              Hi Justin, We just now finished installing the Mr.. Slim, but because our clubhouse is used infrequently, I really don't know how it would stack up. We replaced an old window unit, which was noisy, inefficient, and ironically, prohibited by our deed restrictions.

              We bought a 2 zone, 24000BTU Mr. Slim heat pump with wall mounting bracket and two sets of precharged lines for the 2 zones for under $3,000. It cost us another $1,000 to have it installed.  Ducted systems were in the $5000 range and up, so lower installation costs and lower operating costs, no air handler, no ductwork and no noise.

              The condenser on the SolCool was quite a bit larger than the Mr. Slim, even though it is of smaller capacity, so as I mentioned, I think they have increased the heat exchanger size to squeeze more efficiency out of it. I think the Mr. Slim is about a 16 SEER, and the SolCool was advertised at over 20.

              I just like the idea of not having ducts and their associated problems and heat losses in a hot attic. This unit is also very quiet and I like the remote controls better than a wall mount thermostat, but that may be a guy thing, we tend to love remote controls......

              Hope this helps, you're welcome to see our system any time if you wish.

              Regards,  Kevin

              Kevin Conlin
              Heliosolar Design, Inc.
              13534 Quetzal Lane
              Houston, TX 77083
              C:  (281) 202-9629
              H:  (281) 530-7501
              F:  (281) 530-7501

              Message 6 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
                Thanks Kevin...that information is very helpful.

                Here are some pictures my wife took from Saturday night. I hope I'm attaching these correctly...

                Some of you may even be in them.

                -Justin

                Justin Owens

              • Susan Silvano
                Message 7 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
                  Although my company is headquartered in Houston, we live in St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands.  We have built our home there, and have installed five Mr. Slim's in our home,  two in the apartment under our house and one in the pool cabana.  The first was installed about three years ago.  We have not had a minute's trouble with any of the units and they work great.  We got federal and territory rebates on each of the units.  The filters are easily removed and we wash them about once a quarter.  I highly recommend going in this direction vs. a ducted system - much cheaper and more efficient as we very rarely turn on all the units.

                  Now, all we have to do is figure out how to get them to work using solar.

                  Regards,

                  Susan

                  Susan Silvano
                  President
                  Career Management International, Inc.
                  713-623-8780 Corporate Office
                  713-252-0924 Cell

                  CMI. Supporting the business of people.

                  On Sep 14, 2009, at 4:30 PM, Kevin Conlin wrote:

> [...]

                  > The thing that impressed me the most is because of the relatively low power
                  > draw and DC operation, this is the first AC unit I have seen that is
                  > suitable for use with a battery based backup system. In the event of a
                  > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion of your home will have air
                  > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a small off grid cabin or beach
                  > house.
                  >
                  > The unit seemed to be well built and well thought out. With quiet
                  > operation, no duct work and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
                  > product whose time has come. This coming from a curmudgeon!
                  >
                  > The tour was followed by a friendly happy hour at Las Rosas Mexican
                  > Restaurant, where topics from Permaculture to Driver Ed were discussed. A
                  > good time was had by all.
                  >
                  > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and sharing your

                • Sue

> [...]

                    > The thing that impressed me the most is because of the relatively low power
                    > draw and DC operation, this is the first AC unit I have seen that is
                    > suitable for use with a battery based backup system. In the event of a
                    > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion of your home will have air
                    > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a small off grid cabin or beach
                    > house.
                    >
                    > The unit seemed to be well built and well thought out. With quiet
                    > operation, no duct work and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
                    > product whose time has come. This coming from a curmudgeon!
                    >
                    > The tour was followed by a friendly happy hour at Las Rosas Mexican
                    > Restaurant, where topics from Permaculture to Driver Ed were discussed. A
                    > good time was had by all.
                    >
                    > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and sharing your

                  • Kevin Conlin
                    Message 9 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
                      My contractor just finished installing a two zone heat pump Mr. Slim in our community clubhouse, and the only way you can tell if they're on is by the LED's.  The indoor units are 3 speed, which is a nice feature, but even on high, the ceiling fans make more noise. Even the outdoor unit is barely audible.

                      Kevin Conlin
                      Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                      13534 Quetzal Lane
                      Houston, TX 77083
                      C:  (281) 202-9629
                      H:  (281) 530-7501
                      F:  (281) 530-7501

                    • jay.ring@ymail.com
                      Message 10 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
                        I know Sanyo and LG make models too, but I can't tell if they are different or just rebrands. I would love some sort of break down.

                        Next up someone needs to design one of these crossed with a ground source heat pump :)

                        Is the Mr Slim DC powered, or AC only? I am not against AC powered, there is a lot of convenience there for code compliance, but for solar, the whole DC to AC to DC and then back to AC seems a little much...

                        There is another good push we could all work on - update the N.E.C. to be DC friendlier!

                      • Kevin Conlin
                        Message 11 of 14 , Sep 14, 2009
                          Jay, I've only seen AC units, and you're right, the extra conversion costs efficiency. I think the Sol Cool is probably your best bet for DC, but I understand they are not yet in full production. I believe Milton said end of the year.

                          As efficient as they are, I'm not sure you'd gain a whole lot with geosource, might be a longer payback than the extra solar power you'd need without it.

                          The Sol Cool 18,000 BTU has a COP of 5.5, consumes 1000W average.

                          Interesting question, anyone care to crunch the numbers?

                          Kevin Conlin
                          Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                          13534 Quetzal Lane
                          Houston, TX 77083
                          C:  (281) 202-9629
                          H:  (281) 530-7501
                          F:  (281) 530-7501

                          I know Sanyo and LG make models too, but I can't tell if they are different or just rebrands. I would love some sort of break down.

                          Next up someone needs to design one of these crossed with a ground source heat pump :)

                          Is the Mr Slim DC powered, or AC only? I am not against AC powered, there is a lot of convenience there for code compliance, but for solar, the whole DC to AC to DC and then back to AC seems a little much...

                          There is another good push we could all work on - update the N.E.C. to be DC friendlier!

                          --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "Kevin Conlin" <kevin@...> wrote:

                          > My contractor just finished
                          installing a two zone heat pump Mr. Slim in our
                          > community clubhouse, and
                          the only way you can tell if they're on is by the
                          > LED's. The indoor
                          units are 3 speed, which is a nice feature, but even on
                          > high, the
                          ceiling fans make more noise. Even the outdoor unit is barely

                          audible.

                          > Kevin Conlin
                          > Heliosolar Design, Inc.

                          13534 Quetzal Lane
                          > Houston, TX 77083
                          > C: (281) 202-9629

                          H: (281) 530-7501

                          href="mailto:hreg%40yahoogroups.com">hreg@yahoogroups. com [mailto:hreg@yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Susan

                          To: hreg@yahoogroups. com
                          > Cc:
                          Susan Silvano
                          > Subject: Re: [hreg] Re: HREG Solar Air Conditioning Tour
                          Recap

                          > Although my company is
                          headquartered in Houston, we live in St. Thomas in
                          > the U.S. Virgin
                          Islands. We have built our home there, and have installed
                          > five Mr.
                          Slim's in our home, two in the apartment under our house and one
                          > in the
                          pool cabana. The first was installed about three years ago. We have
                          > not
                          had a minute's trouble with any of the units and they work great. We
                          > got
                          federal and territory rebates on each of the units. The filters are

                          easily removed and we wash them about once a quarter. I highly recommend

                          going in this direction vs. a ducted system - much cheaper and more

                          efficient as we very rarely turn on all the units.

                          Now, all we have to do is figure out how to get them to work using solar.

                          > Regards,
                          >
                          > Susan
                          >
                          > Susan Silvano
                          > President
                          > Career Management
                          International, Inc.
                          > 713-623-8780 Corporate Office
                          > 713-252-0924
                          Cell

                          > CMI. Supporting the business of people.
                          >

                          > On Sep 14, 2009, at 4:30 PM, Kevin Conlin
                          wrote:

                          > Hi Jay, Good question, no one
                          asked about the filter, but I'm guessing it
                          > does have a washable one
                          inside the unit.

                          > I agree, between no duct work, selective
                          cooling and high efficiency, I too
                          > believe they are the next wave.
                          Problem is finding anyone willing to learn
                          > the technology. It took me 3
                          months to find a cooperative ac contractor as
                          > we just installed a 2 zone
                          Mitsubishi Mr.. Slim on our community clubhouse.
                          > Every one tried to talk
                          me into ductwork.

                          > Since solar panels are not specifically
                          excluded in deed restrictions, it
                          > might be worth educating the
                          architectural committee on your homeowners BOD.
                          > Traditionally the courts
                          have ruled in favor of the homeowners when solar is
                          > challenged, but most
                          people don't want that fight.

                          > Best Regards, Kevin
                          >
                          > Kevin Conlin
                          > Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                          > 13534 Quetzal
                          Lane
                          > Houston, TX 77083
                          > C: (281) 202-9629
                          > H: (281)
                          530-7501
                          <mailto:kevin@ ...> ign.com

                          <kevin@> wrote:

> [...]
                          that is
                          > > suitable for use with a battery based backup system. In the
                          event of a
                          > > hurricane or extended power outage, a portion of your
                          home will have air
                          > > conditioning. It would also be perfect for a
                          small off grid cabin or beach
                          > > house.
                          > >
                          > > The
                          unit seemed to be well built and well thought out. With quiet

                          operation, no duct work and super high efficiency, it seems like a good
                          > > product whose time has come. This coming from a curmudgeon!
                          > >
                          > > The tour was followed by a friendly happy hour at Las Rosas
                          Mexican
                          > > Restaurant, where topics from Permaculture to Driver Ed
                          were discussed. A
                          > > good time was had by all.
                          > >
                          > > Thank you both Milton and Pat for opening your home and sharing

                          Kevin Conlin
                          > > Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                          > > 13534 Quetzal
                          Lane
                          > > Houston, TX 77083
                          > > C: (281) 202-9629

                          H: (281) 530-7501
                          > > F: (281) 530-7501
                          > > kevin@

                          270.13.97/2370 - Release Date: 09/14/09
                          > 11:36:00
                          >

                          > No virus found in this incoming
                          message.
                          Database: 270.13.97/2370 - Release Date: 09/14/09

                          11:36:00