Big Oil anti-clean energy astroturf rally in Houston TOMORROW, help fight back

  • David Power
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 17, 2009
      I thought this might be of interest

      David

      Tomorrow morning the American Petroleum Institute is going to hold a rally against the recent energy bill, saying how it is going to destroy the economy and kill millions of jobs. They're calling it the Energy Citizens Rally for Jobs and Affordable Energy and pretending that it is a citizen motivated event, when in fact they'll just be busing in employees at 11:30 to the Verizon Wireless Theater down town and feeding them hot dogs to listen to them preach during an extended lunch break. Heres the memo we found about the rally:

      As representatives of the clean tech and renewable energy industry, we MUST stand up and make sure our own message is heard above the crowd: that they way of the future is in green, renewable energy, and that by committing ourselves to renewables we can create millions of new green jobs and spur a new clean green economy.

      Big Oil is going to say that the American Clean Energy and Security act is going to destroy the Texas economy, but we all know that this simply is not true. Studies have shown that that the legislation would actually create 1.7 million good-paying green jobs, many of them accessible to people without college degrees or high-level skills. Just this Sunday, US Rep Sheila Jackson Lee wrote a great op-ed in the Chronicle about this very issue: Energy bill will help solve Houston's jobless problem.

      If you are willing to come to the rally as a representative of the clean business community and speak to the press about the promise of a new green economy, please let me know. Big oil is winning the PR war on this, and weve got to show folks that the promise of new green jobs and businesses is real.

      I can be reached at 210-316-9523 day or night, or feel free to email me at citizen.sarah@gmail.