Earth Day 2002

  • Ryan McMullan
    Message 1 of 42 , Apr 2, 2001
      Hello all,

      Every time I go to Enron's "Earth" Day Concert, I grind my teeth at the
      lack of environmental management that goes into planning and executing the
      event. I always wished I could do it better. And then I realized that I
      have an opportunity to do so. I'm a staff member at Rice University and am
      in contact with most of the environmentally-minded folks on campus so I
      figured that if I start planning now, we could pull off an Rice Earthday
      Concert, featuring local talent (somehow I don't think Three Doors Down or
      other "big" bands will play for us). But furthermore it'd be a chance to
      put on an Earth Day that features environmental operations instead just
      paying lip service to it.
      Specific to HREG, in addition to distributing information as you like, I
      would like to see about the possibility of having the concert powered by
      renewables. More than likely this will mean PV's unless someone out there
      has a brilliant idea for the other kinds (maybe we could have a
      wind-powered generator for demonstration purposes). I'm in the midst of
      finding out just how much power that equipment takes, but I wanted to check
      with the local experts to see if such a thing is even feasible 'round these
      parts. I know it's been done before in Maine for a concert.
      What do you all think? I'll probably partner with the Citizens
      Environmental Coalition (who advises Enron, et al, for their concert in an
      attempt to get them to do environmental stuff) for some of the planning and
      logistics so they can come back to Enron and show that it can be done. I
      welcome any ideas. In fact, if someone going to Enron's this year could
      keep a gripe list of the things that Enron does "wrong", we could try to
      address them in the Rice event. Let me know what you think.

    • Steve Shepard
      Message 42 of 42 , Apr 12, 2001
        Re: [hreg] Earth Day 2002
        Having been a RG reseller, Local Pro and stock holder in the past I think if more people knew what is going on with this company they would be less inclined to conduct business with them.
        Recently RG elected to sell out to a large corporation in Ohio.  Some of the terms of that deal were that the wholesale program for regional dealers and Local Pros was eliminated, stockholders were compensated at a ten to one loss and Schaeffer got to keep the Solar Living Center as his own little non-profit toy.  Not to mention the massive layoffs that occurred at RG when the catalog operations were shifted to Ohio.
        Real Goods is not the warm, fuzzy company that they have successfully managed to convince the general public they are.  This is yet another cold, calculating corporation that does not hesitate to screw associates, employees and investors to achieve single minded objectives.  To anyone who thinks this company is a Earth friendly, green, sustainable business I hope they soon understand this is not the case.
        SBT Designs
        25840 IH-10 West #1
        Boerne, Texas 78006