Why is it that...

  • evelyn sardina
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2 6:28 AM
      When I  stand  under  a cieling fan I can hardly feel the air blowing?

      I know this:
      The best  blades  need to be at a  certain pitch
      The blades  need to be reversed  for summer and winter accordinly
      You need at least 5 blades  on the fan

      All above things considered, when I stand  near  a standup fan or one of those air  circulators it  feels so much better even when the blades are very small compared  with that  of a celing fan. I have seen the new ceiling fans that look like a two in one and was wondering if this really works or makes a difference since  the blades of the fans are a lot smaller (because  they have to fit two fans in one) for each of the side by side fans.

    • James McKethen
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2 9:08 AM
        Sometimes the fan is too close to the ceiling, it doesnt allow the airflow you are looking for.

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 2 7:45 PM

          The distance the blades are from the ceiling is very important.   Original ceiling fans were in 9'+ ceiling hanging on a pipe conduit. But then flush mount hangers allowed fans to fit under and 8' ceiling and still not hit your basketball playing 6' 8" son's head.

          That flush type can actually just recirculate the air around and around the blade tips and not blow the air down at all.   If enough air molecules keep bumping into each other again and again with they could actually raise the air temperature just due to friction.

          Get your uncle Jed to blow some see-gar smoke up there to see what is going on.

          Gary Beck, P.E., SECB, LEED AP

          Eco-Holdings Engineering Services

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 2 7:53 PM
            My electrical subs always said that flush-mount fans do not allow enough air circulation for the motors, and as a result, burn out quickly. Anecdotal evidence supports that among my former clients.

            I recently had to deal with a ceiling fan that was too close to a ten-foot-tall Victorian half-tester bed (half-canopy, in other words). The fan had never stirred up that much air, but I was reluctant to take it down and give up the air movement in the bedroom. I cut the blades down, leaving the five blades at approximately 14 inches beyond the bracket edge. To my delight and surprise, the fan whips up a lot of air, and it's more noticeable at bed height than it ever was before. I assume this is because the air being moved is in a plane closer together, and feels more concentrated than it did when the full-length blades were circulating.

            I was afraid it would throw off the balance, but so far, there's been no sign of that. I noticed at Lowe's that they are now selling a fan with blades even shorter than these, with a full-sized housing.

            Alyssa Burgin