"Coping with peak oil & climate change" 9/6/09

  • Nan Hildreth
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2009
      The Transition Movement brings people together who are concerned
      about "how can our community respond to the challenges, and
      opportunities, of Peak Oil and Climate Change?" On Sunday,
      September 6, Mark Juedeman of Transition Houston will tell us about
      the Transition Movement at the monthly meeting of Houston Climate
      Protection Alliance. We will not meet in August. The meeting will
      be on September 6, 2009 at 1:15 pm at First Unitarian Universalist
      Church, 5200 Fannin. Mark is a petroleum professional and rides a
      bicycle. For more information, contact Nancy Edwards 713-661-9737
      needwards@... or Nan Hildreth 713-842-6643.

      The Transition Movement and Transition Houston
      Mark Juedeman

      The Transition Movement is a grass-roots initiative and process to
      address the twin crises of climate change and peak oil. Originating
      in the UK, it has spread worldwide in just three years, with
      Transition Towns established on every continent save
      Antarctica. Transition seeks to plan for energy descent, aiming for
      local resilience through relocalization of all critical aspects of
      the economy: food, merchandise, health, transportation, energy,
      etc. Transition Initiatives emphasize a positive community response
      to climate and petroleum challenges, recognizing that uncoordinated
      individual efforts may be too dilute and government efforts often too
      wrong, too little, and too slow.

      In his presentation, Mark will discuss:
      * Origin of the Transition Movement
      * Elements of the Transition process
      * Examples of Transition efforts from around the world
      * Transition Houston and neighborhood Transition Initiatives
      * Upcoming Transition events and projects
      * Training for Transition class to be offered in November

      Transition Houston holds monthly meetings on the first Monday of
      every month from 7-9PM at Urban Harvest, 2311 Canal Street, Houston,
      and all are welcome to attend (our next meeting is August 3). You
      are also invited to join the Transition Houston social network group
      at
      <http://transitiontexas.ning.com/group/transitionhouston>http://transitiontexas.ning.com/group/transitionhouston.

      Nan Hildreth 713-842-6643

      Action is the antidote to despair....