Re: [hreg] Farmers Eco-Rebuild Homeowners Insurance

  • Justin Owens
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 17, 2009
      Steph,

      Do you or anyone else know any more details about this? Would the homeowner have to have Farmers Insurance before signing up?
      This could be a big incentive for the citizens of Galveston. As part of the Galveston Community Recovery Committee, the Green Galveston and Green Guidelines subcommittees could definitely benefit from this. The citizens who are being helped out come from low to middle income households, but all new construction will be considered "green". If coverage could be offset by the new standards, these families would have a little more help at hand. As we all know, every little bit helps.

      Any information would be highly appreciated. In the meantime, I'll check their website for details.

      Best Regards,

      Justin Owens

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 17, 2009
        Hi Justin,

        No, I'm trying to find out more information about it also.  Was hoping to find someone who had it already so I could get their take/views on it.

        I'm a huge fan of Galveston being more 'green' and sustainable by the way in their construction techniques.  It's a perfect match.  I wonder if they also offer discounts for new construction built green along the coastline?  Wow, that brings up a whole other set of questions.

        Let me know if you find out anything.

        Stephanie Edwards-Musa
        Realtor, Certified EcoBroker
        Mobile:  281-635-9444
        Prudential Gary Greene, Realtors
        www.TurningHoustonGreen.com
        Steph@...

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 17, 2009
            Here's something I found:

            Los Angeles-based The Farmers Insurance Group of Companies is offering a new eco-friendly product for its Texas customers wishing to 'go green". Called "Eco-Rebuild", the new endorsement will supplement the comapany's homeowners insurance by allowing customers to replace destroyed property in ways beneficial to the environment.

            The "Eco-Rebuild" endorsement includes:
            •$25,000 for extra costs incurred to rebuild or replace with "green" materials.
            •If the house is an Energy Star Qualified Home, the endorsement will cover the cost of upgrading damaged property to meet new Energy Star requirements.
            •Reimbursement for recycling debris rather than disposal.
            •Reimbursement for extra costs incurred by using other means of power in the event of loss of alternative power generating equipment.

            In addition to Texas, the product is already available in 28 other states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

            For more information, visit www.farmers.com.

            Steph@TurningHousto nGreen.com

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 17, 2009

              It seems to me that the real green solution would be to not expend resources in areas prone to destruction!  And leave the wetlands alone too.

              Robert