Energy Usage Monitoring

  • Gary Beck
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2009

      I just bought these three items on Amazon to check my own energy usage and to also check project insulation on projects that I am involved with.

      Black & Decker EM100B Energy Saver Series Power Monitor

      +

      Black & Decker TLD100 Energy Series Thermal Leak Detector

      +

      P3 International P4400 Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor

      The Black & Decker EM100B Energy Saver Series Power Monitor mounts easily on you power meter and read the wheel to measure real time kW usage as kW or as $/hr based on the $/kwh we programed in.

      The Black & Decker TLD100 Energy Series Thermal Leak Detector is a slick version of the infrared temperature detector with built in logic to change colors when it sees temperature changes of 1, 5, or 10 F (a 'heat leak'). It is a poor-man's Thermographic Imager.

      The 'Kill-A-Watt' was part of the package and good for helping to decide when to dump that old inefficient garage refrigerator, etc.

      The two from Black & Decker are so far unique, cost effective, and appear to work great. I would recommend either one or both to the anyone seriously looking at reducing energy consumption.

      Gary Beck, P.E., SECB, LEED AP

      Eco-Holdings Engineering Services

      4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd. Ste 114

      Houston, Texas 77025

      Tel: 713-377-4209  Fax: 832-201-5338

      SECB certified in the Practice of Structural Engineering, a structural inspector for the Texas Residential Construction Commission SIRP program, and a listed Engineer for the Texas Department of Insurance Wind Storm program. Eco provides Engineering and Engineer's Inspection Services for Residential, Commercial, Lodging, Educational, Industrial and Government Facilities. Eco's design engineering services include AutoCAD based construction documents for permitting and building foundations, structures, storm water systems, and detention ponds; and Autodesk Revit based 3D Building Information Modeling for green building practices.

    • justin@gulfcoastrenewableresources.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2009
        Gary,

        Neat stuff! Thanks for sharing.

        I saw the TLD device in a magazine just recently(although I can't remember which one). I'm all for the "poor man's" method.

        -Justin

[...]

      • Bill or Dorothy Swann
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 8, 2009
          Add The Energy Detective. It is a clamp-on device (2 current transformers) that monitors and graph's the kWatt usage at your electrical service. Easy to install, and easy to export the data.

           <http://www.theenergydetective.com/index.html>

          Thanks,Bill S
          Ph 832-338-3080
          www.hstech.biz