Re: [hreg] PV Panel warranties

  • justin@gulfcoastrenewableresources.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2009
      Ahmad,

      Typically, 25 years under normal application, installation, use and service conditions with power output more than 80-90% of the minimum peak power.

      Some guarantee 90% for 10 years, 80% for 15, etc...

      I don't have a comparison, but this is the norm among all of them.

      Justin Owens
      Gulf Coast Renewable Resources
      (409)766-0208
      www.GulfCoastRenewableResources.com

      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
        What I am really after is the warranty on material and workmanship on name brand PV panels.  Do all of them guarantee 5 years for material & workmanship or does any of them have warranties longer than 5 years?

      • jay.ring@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
          Here are a few. These are pretty standard. Remember, your warranty is only good as long as the company is still in business. Picking a more established company may be a better/safer warranty, regardless of what the terms say. I hope this helps!

          Kyrocera:
          10 year at 90%
          20 years at 80%
          20 years power output, 1 year material and workmanship

          BP Solar:
          12-year limited warranty of 90% power output
          25-year limited warranty of 80% power output;
          5-year limited warranty of material and workmanship.

          Evergreen:
          10 years at 90%
          25 years at 80%

          Sanyo:
          10 years 90%
          20 years 80%

          Sharp:
          10 years at 90%
          25 years at 80%

          CSI:
          10 years at 90%
          25 years at 80%

          CDT:
          2 year limited
          10 years 90%
          25 years 80%
          depriciated (pro-rated ) at 7% APR

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
            Well again, manufacturers offer similar warranties like the ones I provided earlier. Poor workmanship from the manufacturing process should be noted immediately, based on panel output, broken wires, etc...

            As far as the installation goes, it is up to the PV installer to offer a workmanship warranty. The "named brand" panel manufacturer would not be involved in this. Typical warranties range from 2-5 years from installers. I believe these warranties are listed on the HREG website in the business members section.

            Justin Owens

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009

              Jay & Chris

              I really appreciate your input to the Solar PV warranties.  This informatio is invaluable.

              Ahmad Solomon

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
                Jay,

                Supposedly I want to build a farmhouse to be solar & wind powered at 12, 24 or 48 volts - no utility connection.  Do they make appliances that run entirely at these voltages?

                Thanks,

                Ahmad

                Here are a few. These are pretty standard. Remember, your warranty is only good as long as the company is still in business. Picking a more established company may be a better/safer warranty, regardless of what the terms say. I hope this helps!

                Kyrocera:
                10 year at 90%
                20 years at 80%
                20 years power output, 1 year material and workmanship

                BP Solar:
                12-year limited warranty of 90% power output
                25-year limited warranty of 80% power output;
                5-year limited warranty of material and workmanship.

                Evergreen:
                10 years at 90%
                25 years at 80%

                Sanyo:
                10 years 90%
                20 years 80%

                Sharp:
                10 years at 90%
                25 years at 80%

                CSI:
                10 years at 90%
                25 years at 80%

                CDT:
                2 year limited
                10 years 90%
                25 years 80%
                depriciated (pro-rated ) at 7% APR

                --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, Solar Energy <WhySolar@.. .> wrote:

                > What I am really after is the warranty on material and workmanship on name brand PV panels.  Do all of them guarantee 5 years for material & workmanship or does any of them have warranties longer than 5 years?

              • Marc Morgan
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
                  The make some 12 volt stuff. Like you would see in an RV. Or do like a solar stove. Here is a good site:

                  http://www.lehmans.com/store/catalog?Args=

                  On some of the appliances you would have to go to a propane environment.

                  Marc.

                  --
                  Marc Morgan
                • John P. Matznick
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
                    Like Marc mentioned, you will need 12V DC appliances and of course someone to help you configure your 12V connection from the battery bank or inverter due to the way the batter configuration needs to be to get your Amps. Some inverters have both AC and/or DC output for your needs. You can try RV shops (Camping World)  like we do sometimes, but you will find they are very expensive due to the clientele.

                    Try sites like this one for basic home appliances. I have also found a number of these items at truck stops now because long haul truckers use them.

                    This one for higher end or larger appliances

                    Regards
                    John P. Matznick
                    Sustainable & Renewable Technology Consultant
                    Green Tech Fusion
                    888.642.0226
                    www.GreenTechFusion.com -  Sustainable & Renewable Technologies

                  • Jim & Janet
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 4, 2009

                      Supposedly I want to build a farmhouse to be solar & wind powered at 12, 24 or 48 volts - no utility connection.  Do they make appliances that run entirely at these voltages?

                      You will find your choices of DC electrical devices is very limited. And yes they are expensive.
                      If you are going to the trouble and expense of building a battery based solar PV system, go ahead and invest in an inverter so you can run virtually every device you already own on 120V AC power. You will ultimately have a much larger variety of "stuff" to choose from.

                      Jim Duncan
                      North Texas Renewable Energy Inc

                    • Solar Energy
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 7, 2009