PV Panel warranties

  • Solar Energy
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 30, 2009
      Seeking information about:

      1. Does anyone have a comparison of warranties among the major manufacturers of PV panels?  By that I mean manufacturing warranties for workmanship and defects; I assume most of them are from 10 to 25 years.
      2. What output power do they guarantee 90%, 80%? and for how long?

      Thanks

      Ahmad Solomon

    • justin@gulfcoastrenewableresources.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 30, 2009
        Ahmad,

        Typically, 25 years under normal application, installation, use and service conditions with power output more than 80-90% of the minimum peak power.

        Some guarantee 90% for 10 years, 80% for 15, etc...

        I don't have a comparison, but this is the norm among all of them.

        Justin Owens
        Gulf Coast Renewable Resources
        (409)766-0208
        www.GulfCoastRenewableResources.com

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
          What I am really after is the warranty on material and workmanship on name brand PV panels.  Do all of them guarantee 5 years for material & workmanship or does any of them have warranties longer than 5 years?

        • jay.ring@ymail.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
            Here are a few. These are pretty standard. Remember, your warranty is only good as long as the company is still in business. Picking a more established company may be a better/safer warranty, regardless of what the terms say. I hope this helps!

            Kyrocera:
            10 year at 90%
            20 years at 80%
            20 years power output, 1 year material and workmanship

            BP Solar:
            12-year limited warranty of 90% power output
            25-year limited warranty of 80% power output;
            5-year limited warranty of material and workmanship.

            Evergreen:
            10 years at 90%
            25 years at 80%

            Sanyo:
            10 years 90%
            20 years 80%

            Sharp:
            10 years at 90%
            25 years at 80%

            CSI:
            10 years at 90%
            25 years at 80%

            CDT:
            2 year limited
            10 years 90%
            25 years 80%
            depriciated (pro-rated ) at 7% APR

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 1, 2009
              Well again, manufacturers offer similar warranties like the ones I provided earlier. Poor workmanship from the manufacturing process should be noted immediately, based on panel output, broken wires, etc...

              As far as the installation goes, it is up to the PV installer to offer a workmanship warranty. The "named brand" panel manufacturer would not be involved in this. Typical warranties range from 2-5 years from installers. I believe these warranties are listed on the HREG website in the business members section.

              Justin Owens

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009

                Jay & Chris

                I really appreciate your input to the Solar PV warranties.  This informatio is invaluable.

                Ahmad Solomon

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
                  Jay,

                  Supposedly I want to build a farmhouse to be solar & wind powered at 12, 24 or 48 volts - no utility connection.  Do they make appliances that run entirely at these voltages?

                  Thanks,

                  Ahmad

                  Here are a few. These are pretty standard. Remember, your warranty is only good as long as the company is still in business. Picking a more established company may be a better/safer warranty, regardless of what the terms say. I hope this helps!

                  Kyrocera:
                  10 year at 90%
                  20 years at 80%
                  20 years power output, 1 year material and workmanship

                  BP Solar:
                  12-year limited warranty of 90% power output
                  25-year limited warranty of 80% power output;
                  5-year limited warranty of material and workmanship.

                  Evergreen:
                  10 years at 90%
                  25 years at 80%

                  Sanyo:
                  10 years 90%
                  20 years 80%

                  Sharp:
                  10 years at 90%
                  25 years at 80%

                  CSI:
                  10 years at 90%
                  25 years at 80%

                  CDT:
                  2 year limited
                  10 years 90%
                  25 years 80%
                  depriciated (pro-rated ) at 7% APR

                  --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, Solar Energy <WhySolar@.. .> wrote:

                  > What I am really after is the warranty on material and workmanship on name brand PV panels.  Do all of them guarantee 5 years for material & workmanship or does any of them have warranties longer than 5 years?

                • Marc Morgan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
                    The make some 12 volt stuff. Like you would see in an RV. Or do like a solar stove. Here is a good site:

                    http://www.lehmans.com/store/catalog?Args=

                    On some of the appliances you would have to go to a propane environment.

                    Marc.

                    --
                    Marc Morgan
                  • John P. Matznick
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 3, 2009
                      Like Marc mentioned, you will need 12V DC appliances and of course someone to help you configure your 12V connection from the battery bank or inverter due to the way the batter configuration needs to be to get your Amps. Some inverters have both AC and/or DC output for your needs. You can try RV shops (Camping World)  like we do sometimes, but you will find they are very expensive due to the clientele.

                      Try sites like this one for basic home appliances. I have also found a number of these items at truck stops now because long haul truckers use them.

                      This one for higher end or larger appliances

                      Regards
                      John P. Matznick
                      Sustainable & Renewable Technology Consultant
                      Green Tech Fusion
                      888.642.0226
                      www.GreenTechFusion.com -  Sustainable & Renewable Technologies

                    • Jim & Janet
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 4, 2009

                        Supposedly I want to build a farmhouse to be solar & wind powered at 12, 24 or 48 volts - no utility connection.  Do they make appliances that run entirely at these voltages?

                        You will find your choices of DC electrical devices is very limited. And yes they are expensive.
                        If you are going to the trouble and expense of building a battery based solar PV system, go ahead and invest in an inverter so you can run virtually every device you already own on 120V AC power. You will ultimately have a much larger variety of "stuff" to choose from.

                        Jim Duncan
                        North Texas Renewable Energy Inc

                      • Solar Energy
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jul 7, 2009