Re: Wind in Houston

  • jay.ring@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2009
      I did a spreadsheet for the Honeywell generator using their published power curve and wind speeds from the NOAA at Hobby Airport.

      http://www.transcendent.us/static/200906/hreg/

      The link will work for a year at most. I may change it as I improve the analysis.. You can look at the PNG or you can download the xls data for a closer look. I chose Hobby airport because it was the closest airport to my house with detailed windspeed data.

      Windspeeds (column B) are in m/s. The annual energy column shows how much energy is collected at each speed, so you can get a pretty good idea of how much energy is captured at each speed.

      If anyone has any ideas for improving the analysis I would love to hear them. I am not trying to make wind look good or bad, but rather I am trying to give a analysis that is open and verifiable, with supporting data rather than vague generalities.

      Anyway, it works out to be about 547 kWH/year. This unit was the Earthtronics/Honeywell @kW unit, it's a low speed start up cowled design that will supposedly cost about $4500.

      Summary - it's not as bad as you probably think, but it isn't spectacular either.

      Have a good one!

      - Jay