Help promote our solar tour
- Remember, the HREG sponsored Houston Solar Tour is coming up Saturday October 3rd and we need your help to spread the word.
If you will take one of these specific actions, please let me know.
1) Send an eMail blast to past tour participants (hosts and tourists) encouraging them to enlist in this year's tour (and to encourage friends and neighbors who may have joined the renewable revolution) for an encore performance to build from the successes of last year's tour;
2) Post comments to solar, real estate or energy related stories in key news Websites and TV news sites in your respective towns.
Sample Post: "Learn how friends and neighbors are combating rising energy costs and falling home prices by joining (your org here's) solar tour, part of the non-profit American Solar Energy Society's National Solar Tour, the largest grassroots solar event in the U.S. Become a volunteer or showcase your own solar home or business. Details at [eMail or phone number here]. Learn about the national event at . Follow us on Twitter (or Face Book) at [your preferred social medium handle here]."
Sample Post: "The economic benefits of going solar have never been better. Learn how friends and neighbors are slashing utility bills, reaping rich cash incentives and big new tax credits by going solar by joining [your organization here] for [your community name here]'s National Solar Tour, part of the largest grassroots solar event in the U.S. Become a volunteer or showcase your own solar home or business. Details at [eMail or phone number here]. Learn about the national event at . Follow us on Twitter (or Face Book) at [your preferred Twitter handle or FaceBook page here]."
3) eMail a "Save the Date" message to contacts at energy, environmental and community non-profits like your local Sierra Club, WeCanSolveIt.org, Green Building Councils and related building industry associations, RE organizations, utilities etc. . Ask not only for their involvement -- or for them to designate a liaison for the tour -- but for them to post that Save the Date message to their Web sites or in their newsletters.
4) Provide a Save the Date and/or Invitation to Elected Officials at All Levels of Government (get it on their calendars early...ask their help in promoting their jurisdictions' green activities as well as ITC, state cash rebates and other benefits of solar, like slashed energy costs, hedge against rising rates and improved property values); Ask them to share tour info on their respective Web sites/newsletters...and invite their jurisdiction to join the tour (like Boulder County!) and perhaps participate in photo opportunities actually taking a tour and discussing the many economic and environmental benefits of going solar.
Note: The ASES team will provide relevant information on tax credits, state cash rebates, opportunities for accelerated depreciation and related benefits as we draw closer to scheduled tour dates.
5) Engage a popular local realtor to help promote the tour, and note recent news articles espousing that homes with solar sell faster than those with similar amenities but sans solar. Stories that lend credibility to this argument include:
6) Extend Invitations to local high schools, community colleges and universities with environmentally-oriented, sustainable curricula to get classrooms or students involved, perhaps as interns. Tip: Don't forget that today, even educational institutions who don't have the aforementioned curricula have energy-oriented clubs and sustainability groups...identify them and invite them to be involved.