99K House Ribbon Cutting

  • Gary Beck
    Message 1 of 15 , Jun 24, 2009

      Last week we attended the 99KHouse ribbon cutting ceremony with Houston's Mayor White.

      Eco-Holdings was the engineer for this "99K" contest winning design sponsored by the American Institute of Architects, the Rice Design Alliance, and the City of Houston.

      This small 1250 sf  home feel bright, comfortable, and airy. Our Revit model rendering actually looks like the end result!

       cid:image002.jpg@01C9EE9C.3AAF36C0cid:image006.jpg@01C9EE9C.3AAF36C0cid:image007.jpg@01C9EE9C.3AAF36C0

      This low income home uses a 2 ton geothermal linked air conditioner and harvests rainwater to a 250 gallon mini-cistern standing under the left rear corner.

      You can visit this home at 4015 Jewel Street Houston, Texas 77026

      (Use this link http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&oe=UTF-8&q=4015+Jewel+Street+Houston,+Texas+77026+&ie=UTF8&ll=29.790377,-95.330558&spn=0.017002,0.032938&z=16&iwloc=A&layer=c&cbll=29.790381,-95.330449&panoid=il4O0L6Ew5VZvKITirPesg&cbp=12,19.14,,0,5 since Google Map has it off by a street or two)

      You cab also learn more about this energy efficient green home project at our webpage - http://www.eco-holdings.com/26619/52119.html

      Last month we also completed engineering for 10 more low income 'Project Hope' homes that will use a similar pier & beam spot footing foundation with Structural Insulated Panel (SIP) construction.

      Gary Beck, P.E., SECB, LEED AP

      Eco-Holdings Engineering Services

      4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd. Ste 114

      Houston, Texas 77025

      Tel: 713-377-4209  Fax: 832-201-5338

      SECB certified in the Practice of Structural Engineering, a structural inspector for the Texas Residential Construction Commission SIRP program, and a listed Engineer for the Texas Department of Insurance Wind Storm program. Eco provides Engineering and Engineer's Inspection Services for Residential, Commercial, Lodging, Educational, Industrial and Government Facilities. Eco's design engineering services include AutoCAD based construction documents for permitting and building foundations, structures, storm water systems, and detention ponds; and Autodesk Revit based 3D Building Information Modeling for green building practices.

      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 24, 2009
        Cool, I'll have to check this out! What are the visiting hours?

        The ORA-hybrid design is kinda boxy; I think I like the E! better :P

        Can you do you know why the opted for pier-and-beam instead of a slab-on-grade?

        Do you mind if I ask you some questions about the E! house?

        - Jay

        --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "Gary Beck" <eco@...> wrote:

        > Last week we attended the 99KHouse ribbon cutting ceremony with
        > Houston's Mayor White.
        >

        > Eco-Holdings was the engineer for this "99K" contest winning design
        > sponsored by the American Institute of Architects, the Rice Design
        > Alliance, and the City of Houston.
        >

        > This small 1250 sf home feel bright, comfortable, and airy. Our Revit
        > model rendering actually looks like the end result!
        >

        > This low income home uses a 2 ton geothermal linked air conditioner and
        > harvests rainwater to a 250 gallon mini-cistern standing under the left
        > rear corner.
        >

        > You can visit this home at 4015 Jewel Street Houston, Texas 77026
        > <http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&oe=UTF-8&q=4015+Jewel+Street+Houston,
        > +Texas+77026+&ie=UTF8&ll=29.790377,-95.330558&spn=0.017002,0.032938&z=16
        > &iwloc=A&layer=c&cbll=29.790381,-95.330449&panoid=il4O0L6Ew5VZvKITirPesg
        > &cbp=12,19.14,,0,5> .
        >

        > (Use this link
        > http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&oe=UTF-8&q=4015+Jewel+Street+Houston,+
        > Texas+77026+&ie=UTF8&ll=29.790377,-95.330558&spn=0.017002,0.032938&z=16&
        > iwloc=A&layer=c&cbll=29.790381,-95.330449&panoid=il4O0L6Ew5VZvKITirPesg&
        > cbp=12,19.14,,0,5 since Google Map has it off by a street or two)
        >

        > You cab also learn more about this energy efficient green home project
        > at our webpage - http://www.eco-holdings.com/26619/52119.html
        >

        > Last month we also completed engineering for 10 more low income 'Project
        > Hope' homes that will use a similar pier & beam spot footing foundation
        > with Structural Insulated Panel (SIP) construction.
        >

        > Gary Beck, P.E., SECB, LEED AP
        >
        > Eco-Holdings Engineering Services
        >
        > 4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd. Ste 114
        >
        > Houston, Texas 77025
        >
        > Tel: 713-377-4209 Fax: 832-201-5338
        >

        > SECB certified in the Practice of Structural Engineering, a structural
        > inspector for the Texas Residential Construction Commission SIRP
        > program, and a listed Engineer for the Texas Department of Insurance
        > Wind Storm program. Eco provides Engineering and Engineer's Inspection
        > Services for Residential, Commercial, Lodging, Educational, Industrial
        > and Government Facilities. Eco's design engineering services include
        > AutoCAD based construction documents for permitting and building
        > foundations, structures, storm water systems, and detention ponds; and
        > Autodesk Revit based 3D Building Information Modeling for green building
        > practices.
        >

        > Gary Beck, P.E., SECB, LEED AP
        >
        > Eco-Holdings Engineering Services

      • Gary Beck
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 24, 2009

          I think you can just go by anytime to walk the exterior and if someone is there the inside.  There may also be contact #s for the sales people to call to see the inside.

          The boxy shape help keep cost down. And the shed roof is perfect for Solar (except slanted the wrong way!)

          A 6kW Solar PV like in the article would increase the home cost by 40% - but then would probably zero out the electric bill.

          href="http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&oe=UTF-8&q=4015+Jewel+Street+Houston,">http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&oe=UTF-8&q=4015+Jewel+Street+Houston,

          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 24, 2009
            Tracking usually adds 30-35% efficiency.

            The general opinion in this group seems to be that tracking isn't worth the cost; your money is better spent on adding more panels and just brute forcing it. I tend to agree with this.

            In a residential application, the roof top is wasted space, panels are a great use for it. Unless you can use a nice tracking array to add architectural interest to a landscape or garden, it seems like a mis-use of land. But they are kinda impressive looking as an accent feature; could replace a birdbath or statue.

            Tracking arrays are just one more thing to go wrong, and I have doubts how they would do in a hurricane. I am (always) optimistic that some awesome engineer will build a better one some day.

            - Jay

            --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, "James McKethen" <james@...> wrote:

            > Looking at the pictures i see that the panels are just statically mounted to
            > the roof. If there was a sun following system associated with the panels how
            > much of a difference would that make on; the cost of the system, the overall
            > efficiency through the months as well as through the day. the curves he
            > shows seems to be very steep.
            >
            > _____

          • Neldon Costin
            Message 5 of 15 , Jun 24, 2009
              Thanks for sharing this - interesting information. It is good to see actual experience numbers.

              An article about one homeowner's experience:

              http://www.extremet ech.com/article2 /0,2845,2349171, 00.asp

            • Cobb Paul
              Message 6 of 15 , Jun 24, 2009
                Great article.  Thanks.  I was wondering, for those with systems in Houston (rather than the Bay Area), if they feel a similar cost savings and payback period.  Second, I was wondering how their systems fared with Ike (and other severe weather).

                Cheers!
                Paul

                From: jay.ring@ymail. com <txses@mailbot. transcendent. us>
                To: hreg@yahoogroups. com
                Date: Wednesday, June 24, 2009, 8:33 AM

                An article about one homeowner's experience:

              • Ray Padgett
                Message 7 of 15 , Jun 24, 2009
                  RE: Uni-Solar Film Laminate and Wind Energy Testing for Greater Houston

                  Does anyone know of any wind energy system tests that
                  relates whether a solar energy system  productive enough
                  compared to a residential wind energy system?

                  Also, has anyone in the Greater Houston area tested or installed the
                  Uni-Solar Thin Film Laminate on roof tops?   and if yes, how does it
                  rate for hail and over-all roof top heat ... as I noticed it has a maximum
                  roof heat limit of 185 F ... (I haven't tested but it seems to me our roofs
                  may be hotter than that at times )

                  Your feedback is appreciated

                  Ray

                  Tracking usually adds 30-35% efficiency.

                  The general opinion in this group seems to be that tracking isn't worth the cost; your money is better spent on adding more panels and just brute forcing it. I tend to agree with this.

                  In a residential application, the roof top is wasted space, panels are a great use for it. Unless you can use a nice tracking array to add architectural interest to a landscape or garden, it seems like a mis-use of land. But they are kinda impressive looking as an accent feature; could replace a birdbath or statue.

                  Tracking arrays are just one more thing to go wrong, and I have doubts how they would do in a hurricane. I am (always) optimistic that some awesome engineer will build a better one some day.

                  - Jay

                  --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "James McKethen" <james@...> wrote:

                  > Looking at the pictures i see that the panels are just statically mounted to
                  > the roof. If there was a sun following system associated with the panels how
                  > much of a difference would that make on; the cost of the system, the overall
                  > efficiency through the months as well as through the day. the curves he
                  > shows seems to be very steep.
                  >
                  > _____

                • Kevin Conlin
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jun 24, 2009
                    I agree, it's really not practical to use a tracking rooftop array, ground mount would be a better option for trackers.

                    I enjoyed your closing comment, I am currently working on a new tracker concept called a "Simple Gimbal", which is very compact, about the size of a 2 liter soda bottle. It is intended to be a pole top system, and although it is mechanically simple, that simplicity is a result of advanced electronics.

                    There's nothing like it on the market today, and it has a less than 5 year payback due to increased production.

                    Best,  Kevin

                    Kevin Conlin
                    Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                    13534 Quetzal Lane
                    Houston, TX 77083
                    C:  (281) 202-9629
                    H:  (281) 530-7501
                    F:  (281) 530-7501

                    Tracking usually adds 30-35% efficiency.

                    The general opinion in this group seems to be that tracking isn't worth the cost; your money is better spent on adding more panels and just brute forcing it. I tend to agree with this.

                    In a residential application, the roof top is wasted space, panels are a great use for it. Unless you can use a nice tracking array to add architectural interest to a landscape or garden, it seems like a mis-use of land. But they are kinda impressive looking as an accent feature; could replace a birdbath or statue.

                    Tracking arrays are just one more thing to go wrong, and I have doubts how they would do in a hurricane. I am (always) optimistic that some awesome engineer will build a better one some day.

                    - Jay

                    --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, "James McKethen" <james@...> wrote:

                    > Looking at the pictures i see
                    that the panels are just statically mounted to
                    > the roof. If there was a
                    sun following system associated with the panels how
                    > much of a difference
                    would that make on; the cost of the system, the overall
                    > efficiency
                    through the months as well as through the day. the curves he
                    > shows seems
                    to be very steep.

                    href="mailto:hreg%40yahoogroups.com">hreg@yahoogroups. com [mailto:hreg@yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of

                    To: hreg@yahoogroups. com

                    > An article about one homeowner's experience:

                    http://www.extremet
                    > <
                    href="http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2349171,00.asp">http://www.extremet ech.com/article2 /0,2845,2349171, 00.asp>

                    ech.com/article2/ 0,2845,2349171, 00.asp

                  • jay.ring@ymail.com
                    Message 9 of 15 , Jun 24, 2009
                      I think the web site PV-Watts (v1) gives a very fair and unbiased estimate of how you will do. Check it out:
                      http://rredc.nrel.gov/solar/codes_algs/PVWATTS/version1/

                      But don't get me started on payback periods! But in general, no, you won't do that well in Houston, not even close.

                      You get about the same power out of the system; that isn't the issue. Apparently electricity is a lot more expensive in California than it is here in Texas. He was saving about $3000 per year on his system. You would only save about $1400 here, because electricity costs less. I'm using Green Mountain's prices as an apples-to-apples green energy baseline.

                      An analysis requires estimates for system life time (20+ years), and then estimates for the interest rate, and electricity prices over that full time. These are about impossible to estimate accurately, and we get into heated discussions every time it comes up!

                      We never really got a solid answer after Ike, but nobody reported any problems to the list. Absence of reported problems is not exactly conclusive, but most mounts/panels are rated for very high wind speeds and should not have any problems.

                      --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Cobb Paul <luapbboc@...> wrote:

                      > Great article.  Thanks.  I was wondering, for those with systems in Houston (rather than the Bay Area), if they feel a similar cost savings and payback period.  Second, I was wondering how their systems fared with Ike (and other severe weather).
                      >
                      > Cheers!
                      > Paul
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Russell Warren
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jun 24, 2009
                        One item that is not really factored into the return on investment is any maintenance, especially the inverter.
                        I might be wrong by today's standards, but I do not think that the inverter will last 12 years, and would have to be replaced during that period.  If I also recall, the cost of that would be nearly a years worth of energy savings.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jun 24, 2009
                          Ray, I have heard anecdotal comments about the Uni-Solar thin film losing substantial power because of high roof temperatures, and the inability to dissipate heat as well as an array with air space under it, but I can't quantify it.

                          Perhaps one of the installers can comment on their experience.

                          I do know at the old TU solar test site, they would see a 25-30% increase in power output when the Uni-Solar roof tiles were hosed down in mid afternoon, the 1KW array would lope along at 500-600W and then jump up into 800-900W range when cooled.

                          Regards,  Kevin

                          Kevin Conlin
                          Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                          13534 Quetzal Lane
                          Houston, TX 77083
                          C:  (281) 202-9629
                          H:  (281) 530-7501
                          F:  (281) 530-7501

                          href="mailto:hreg%40yahoogroups.com" target=_blank rel=nofollow ymailto="mailto:hreg%40yahoogroups.com">hreg@yahoogroups. com [mailto:hreg@yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of

                          To: hreg@yahoogroups. com

                          target=_blank>http://www.extremet
                          href="http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2349171,00.asp" target=_blank>http://www.extremet ech.com/article2 /0,2845,2349171, 00.asp>

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jun 24, 2009
                            Thanks Kevin ... I felt the same way
                            after studying it awhile

                            Also, is Houston good for wind turbines?

                            The wind blows alot in the galleria but
                            not sure if it would be better than the PV
                            method

                            I guess I need to do some sort of wind test

                            Ray

                            Sent from my iPhone

                          • justin@gulfcoastrenewableresources.com
                            Message 13 of 15 , Jun 24, 2009
                              As far as the wind turbines go, Houston probably isn't a good bet. I run a small wind and pv installation company out of Galveston, and although I do install wind products along the coast, I feel I'd have a hard time justifying a wind project in the Houston area. This is just based on a small wind turbine in an urban environment. Of course, if you get the turbine a considerable height in the air, it may work just fine. Even on top of tall commercial buildings may prove suitable.

                              Regards,

                              Justin Owens
                              Gulf Coast Renewable Resources
                              (409)766-0208