HEALTHY HOMES and chemical exposure

  • Environment Associates Architects
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 19, 2001
      To HREG membership:

      Creating a sustainable home includes health issues associated with construction materials and methods used for both new construction and remodeling.

      The following is a response to one of my clients concerning health issues pertaining to sustainable homes and the mention of an upcoming program by Bill Moyers on man-chemicals in our environment.  Please make an effort to watch this program.  If you can't be home next Monday, March 26 @ 9:00 PM Houston Time, then set your VCR to record it so you can watch it at your convenience.   This air time has been confirmed by KUHT-TV (Channel 8).  This is vital information for you and your family. Even if her question had been about carpeting or insulation, the issues pertaining to manmade chemical hazards and chemical sensitivities remain and would have been included in my answer.

      LaVerne Williams, AIA

      Her Question:  Should I use engineered wood in my home's construction?

      Dear Karen:

      The only engineered wood products I can whole heartily (pun intended) recommend are metal plate connected trusses. The rest are suspect when it comes to health issues.  I can only recommend engineered wood products when indoor air quality is not a major concern or when they can be effectively isolated from out-gassing to interior spaces. The adhesives being used to bind them together contain formaldehyde, which most people react to in some form or another, some quite severely.   Sure, there are other trade-offs, such as sustainable forestry issues, but with your particular health issues, I can only recommend the metal plate connected trusses.  Let me explain.

      What people don't realize is that most people have chemical sensitivities and this sensitivity can manifest itself in several ways; a common giveaway reaction being a subtle change in someone's behavior or mood.  Being chemically sensitive doesn't necessary mean that a person has to feel or look physically ill.  It may just mean having a reaction similar to an allergic reaction (which is a chemical reaction).  Generally, people who have severe physical reactions and who become seriously ill have had numerous toxic exposures and it is by the accumulation of these exposures that severe physical (and emotional) reactions manifest.

      This is where the biggest problem lies.....in the accumulation of exposures to manmade chemicals. With most manmade chemicals, we have no idea of the effects an individual chemical has upon the human body, let alone the combined effect of most chemicals because their toxicity upon humans have never been tested, individually or in combination!  Consider the manmade chemicals contained in the homes we live in, in the products we use to clean them with, in the water we drink, and in the food we eat. Add to these the manmade chemicals used to make the clothes we wear, in the chemicals they are washed with, and in the air we breath, to mention just a few sources, and it's virtually a toxic soup the unwary can expose themselves to everyday!  And we never know when someone’s body will reach its tolerance level!!

      So, it is best to create as toxin free home as possible, as it will probably never be known when you or a family member’s threshold of tolerance will be reached and be manifested in the form of cancer, liver disease, heart disease, chronic fatigue, constant headaches, chronic sinus infections, convulsions, etc., as is being increasingly recognized by the medical community.  Prevention is far less costly in the overall picture.

       I am being emailed some info on a program that Bill Moyers will be doing soon that is being reported to expose the toxicity of manmade chemicals that have been under cover in this country.  I will email you the info and I suggest that you alert all your friends, relatives, and acquaintances about it. (see attachment)

      LaVerne

    • Andrew McCalla
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2001
        Greetings all,

        Did anyone tape this Moyers program?

        Andrew

        Andrew H. McCalla
        Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
        Solar-Electric System Design, Installation, and Service.
        P.O. Box 5810
        Austin, TX 78763
        Tel: 512-477-3050
        Fax: 512-477-3035
        www.meridiansolar.com
      • Becky Merritt
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2001
          I taped the program (I hope), but have not had a chance to view it yet. I would be glad to send it to you after I see it.

          Becky Merritt
          bmerritt@...

          >>> andrew@... - 4/2/01 11:36 AM >>>
          Greetings all,

          Did anyone tape this Moyers program?

          Andrew

          Andrew H. McCalla
          Meridian Energy Systems, Inc.
          Solar-Electric System Design, Installation, and Service.
          P.O. Box 5810
          Austin, TX 78763
          Tel: 512-477-3050
          Fax: 512-477-3035
          www.meridiansolar.com

        • Lafleur, Oral
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
            If the tape is OK Becky, can I have a copy to show at one of HREG's meeting?

            Oral LaFleur

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
              I would be happy to bring the tape to the next meeting. I still haven't had a chance to review it, but hopefully will soon.

              Becky Merritt

              >>> lafleur_ox@... - 4/3/01 11:39 AM >>>

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 3, 2001
                Thanks Becky!
              • Becky Merritt
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 9, 2001
                  Oral,

                  I viewed the tape last night, and it was disappointing. It was about the chemical plants exposing their workers to toxic chemicals without explaining the dangers or taking any measures to protect the employees, and in fact, covering up the fact that they had full knowledge of the dangers. It's pretty horrific stuff, but I didn't see any connection to Healthy Homes. Maybe I taped the wrong show.

                  Do you still want the tape?

                  Becky

                  >>> lafleur_ox@... - 4/3/01 11:39 AM >>>