Re: [hreg] Solar Stills & Cookers for a good cause

  • Garth & Kim Travis
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009
      I would love to hear how it works for you. Please report back with your
      results. This will save me one research project.
      Bright Blessings,
      Kim

      evelyn sardina wrote:

      > I recently did some research on the cooler made from terracotta pots.
      > I know it would work best in dry climates (evaporative coolers
      > again) but I was thiking about building one and trying it out in case
      > of a hurricane. Have you ever built one of these? There is a guy in
      > Africa that builds and sells them and the measurements are on the
      > internet. I thought it would be neat to have one outside of a patio
      > with a cover on it and use as an outdoor table when not needed....

    • evelyn sardina
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009
        I will let you know. Some students in California did a study one with sand and one with dirt and according to their science project the one filled with dirt worked better. Also the pot was hard to keep clean due to salts after watering it but if you use rain water to cool it you may not hve this problem (this information is on a different website).

        evelyn sardina wrote:

        > I recently did some research on the cooler made from terracotta pots.
        > I know it would work best in dry climates (evaporative coolers
        > again) but I was thiking about building one and trying it out in case
        > of a hurricane. Have you ever built one of these? There is a guy in
        > Africa that builds and sells them and the measurements are on the
        > internet. I thought it would be neat to have one outside of a patio
        > with a cover on it and use as an outdoor table when not needed....

      • Nancy Edwards
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009
          Dear Mike,
          You might want to look into ECHO in Florida.  They supply plants and seeds to third world countries.  But they also do appropriate technology.  They have probably tried solar cookers and maybe solar stills.   It is a religious organization but they will work with secular people also.

          Nancy

          On Jun 5, 2009, at 12:37 AM, evelyn sardina wrote:

          Would you have to travel to participate or is this at a local level?

          Just got the documentary FLOW from blockbuster. .. How sad...

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009

            Mike;

            Thank you for this message.  Yours is the first I have heard of the technology; I would be eager to learn more.  Someone in Egypt who wants to bring solar to the region has just contacted me and the technologies you mention might be useful.

            Count me in for learning, researching and teaching.

            Kind regards,

            Tyra

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009

              Good for you, MIke. The world is enamored with new solar technology, but these simple tools can have a far greater impact on the dalily lives of the most impoverished people in the world.

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009

                Mike:

                There is an international foundation that uses solar tech in the developing world as microenterprise.  I’m in touch with the director and owe him a call.

                Tyra

              • mkewert@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
                  Thank you all for your helpful suggestions and offers to help. I will contact you off line.