Solar Stills & Cookers for a good cause

  • mkewert@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 4, 2009
      I am a member of another organization called Engineers without Borders (www.ewb-usa.org & www.ewb-jsc.org) and I was wondering if any of you would be willing to help me research and teach them about solar stills and/or solar cookers.  Perhaps you already have expertise or perhaps you would like to learn about these appropriate technologies for many parts of the world.

      Here are two websites to peak your interest:
      http://www.epsea.org/stills.html
      http://solarcookers.org/

      If you would be willing to help research, build and teach about either of these solar devices, please contact me at mkewert@....

      Thank you,
      Mike
    • evelyn sardina
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 4, 2009
        Would you have to travel to participate or is this at a local level?

        Just got the documentary FLOW from blockbuster... How sad...

        I recently did some research on the cooler made from terracotta pots. I know  it would work best in dry climates (evaporative coolers again) but I was thiking about building one and trying it out in case of a hurricane. Have you ever built one of these? There is a guy in Africa that builds and sells them and the measurements are on the internet. I thought it would be neat to have one outside of a patio with a cover on it and use as an outdoor table when not needed....

        I am a member of another organization called Engineers without Borders (www.ewb-usa. org & www.ewb-jsc. org) and I was wondering if any of you would be willing to help me research and teach them about solar stills and/or solar cookers.  Perhaps you already have expertise or perhaps you would like to learn about these appropriate technologies for many parts of the world.

        Here are two websites to peak your interest:
        http://www.epsea. org/stills. html
        http://solarcookers .org/

        If you would be willing to help research, build and teach about either of these solar devices, please contact me at mkewert@comcast. net.

        Thank you,
        Mike

      • Garth & Kim Travis
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009
          I would love to hear how it works for you. Please report back with your
          results. This will save me one research project.
          Bright Blessings,
          Kim

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009
            I will let you know. Some students in California did a study one with sand and one with dirt and according to their science project the one filled with dirt worked better. Also the pot was hard to keep clean due to salts after watering it but if you use rain water to cool it you may not hve this problem (this information is on a different website).

            evelyn sardina wrote:

            > I recently did some research on the cooler made from terracotta pots.
            > I know it would work best in dry climates (evaporative coolers
            > again) but I was thiking about building one and trying it out in case
            > of a hurricane. Have you ever built one of these? There is a guy in
            > Africa that builds and sells them and the measurements are on the
            > internet. I thought it would be neat to have one outside of a patio
            > with a cover on it and use as an outdoor table when not needed....

          • Nancy Edwards
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009
              Dear Mike,
              You might want to look into ECHO in Florida.  They supply plants and seeds to third world countries.  But they also do appropriate technology.  They have probably tried solar cookers and maybe solar stills.   It is a religious organization but they will work with secular people also.

              Nancy

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009

                Mike;

                Thank you for this message.  Yours is the first I have heard of the technology; I would be eager to learn more.  Someone in Egypt who wants to bring solar to the region has just contacted me and the technologies you mention might be useful.

                Count me in for learning, researching and teaching.

                Kind regards,

                Tyra

                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009

                  Good for you, MIke. The world is enamored with new solar technology, but these simple tools can have a far greater impact on the dalily lives of the most impoverished people in the world.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 5, 2009

                    Mike:

                    There is an international foundation that uses solar tech in the developing world as microenterprise.  I’m in touch with the director and owe him a call.

                    Tyra

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 6, 2009
                      Thank you all for your helpful suggestions and offers to help. I will contact you off line.