Re: [hreg] Combat Climate Change

  • Garth & Kim Travis
    Message 1 of 31 , May 29, 2009
      The fabric does not show in the garden, it is under mulch. I have a
      couple of pictures and a complete description of my gardening practices
      on my web site. I hope to add more, but I have been out in the garden
      working too much.
      www.therosecoloredforest.com

      My raised beds are mostly tomatoes and we have tried to plant basil with
      them or marigolds. But it just doesn't work real well. Heirloom
      tomatoes just keep growing and take over everything. I have other beds,
      that are not on the web site yet, that have mixed species. Not so much
      against bugs but critters.

      Bright Blessings,
      Kim

      Robert Johnston wrote:

      > Love to see a picture posted of your garden, how you use the fabric,
      > etc. Do you have holes in it for the plants, or just lay it down
      > between rows, or do you not even use rows, or what? Do you mix plant
      > species to minimize bug attack, or cluster byplant type, or what?
      >

      > Robert
      >

      > **

    • Susan Silvano
      Message 31 of 31 , May 31, 2009
        We've relocated from Houston to St. Thomas in the U.S. Virgin Islands because, after twenty-two years, the pollution in Houston was making both my husband and me physically ill.  I still maintain the corporate headquarters for my company in Houston and when I go back for business trips, I always find that my "allergies" return and it takes me a week or so back in the wonderfully clean air of the VI to feel well again.

        Y'all would be surprised to know the large numbers of Texans who have settled here in St. Thomas - almost all say it's because of the clean air and water here.  I'm sitting on our veranda working on my email and the air is so clear that I can clearly see the outlines of the mountains on the island of St. Croix, over 40 miles of Caribbean Ocean away!  For a comparison, the visibility in Houston today is about 10 miles.

        I am joining the online community in hopes that we can all help to make Houston (and other cities on the mainland) more livable again.

        On May 31, 2009, at 12:42 AM, paul_suckow2000 wrote:

        Open invitation to all concerned with combat of climate change...

        As you may know, I care very deeply about climate change and adaptation planning for Houston-Galveston.

        I would like to invite you to join my group at the 1Sky campaign. It's
        a new online community uniting concerned citizens in our neighborhood,
        and across the country, to push for bold federal climate legislation.

        I hope to see you at one of our events soon!

        http://houston- climate-justice. groups.local. 1sky.org/ en/summary/

        *****
        Please, if this resonates with you at all, join in...we really need your help!

        --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, Solar Energy <WhySolar@.. .> wrote:

        > City goes
        > vegetarian  to help combat climate
        > change.  Could we do the same in Texas?  It would not only combat climate change but it would also reduce the amount of fossil fuel we use to feed the cattle and energy to cook it.
        > I already go vegetarian about three days a week.
        >

        > http://news. yahoo.com/ s/time/20090527/ wl_time/08599190 095800

        Regards,

        Susan

        Susan Silvano