turning a car into a hybrid...

  • evelyn sardina
    Message 1 of 7 , May 20 6:40 PM
      There is a company www.makemyrideahybrid.com
      that claims they can do it and you would get a car to go 50 miles per gallon. They charge $650 dollars for the transformation. Has anyone heard of them or done this themselves or knows anything about them?

    • RangerE@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , May 21 6:31 AM
        Looks like a scam to me.  At least it has all the signs of one.

        In a message dated 5/20/2009 8:41:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time, evelynsardina@... writes:

        There is a company www.makemyrideahybr id.com
        that claims they can do it and you would get a car to go 50 miles per gallon. They charge $650 dollars for the transformation. Has anyone heard of them or done this themselves or knows anything about them?

      • Gary Beck
        Message 3 of 7 , May 21 7:06 AM

          SCAM ALARM… SCAM ALARM… SCAM ALARM… SCAM ALARM… SCAM ALARM… SCAM ALARM… SCAM ALARM…

          Message 4 of 7 , May 21 10:03 AM
            Yeap! I figured if you can't get a Prius to do it then.... thanks I will forward...

            In a message dated 5/20/2009 8:41:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time, evelynsardina@ yahoo.com writes:

            that claims they can do it and you would get a car to go 50 miles per gallon. They charge $650 dollars for the transformation. Has anyone heard of them or done this themselves or knows anything about them?

            There is a company www.makemyrideahybr id.com

            Huge savings on HDTVs from Dell.com!

          • Ed Joyner
            Message 5 of 7 , May 21 12:25 PM
              Gary Beck wrote:

              SCAM ALARM… SCAM ALARM… SCAM ALARM… SCAM ALARM… SCAM ALARM… SCAM ALARM… SCAM ALARM…

              Looks like a scam to me.  At least it has all the signs of one.

              In a message dated 5/20/2009 8:41:16 P.M. Central Daylight Time, evelynsardina@ yahoo.com writes:

              There is a company www.makemyrideahybr id.com

              that claims they can do it and you would get a car to go 50 miles per gallon. They charge $650 dollars for the transformation. Has anyone heard of them or done this themselves or knows anything about them?

              You know, they said the same thing about Orvil and Wilber when they  flew that first airplane over the news paper office in Kitty Hawk.

              With all the new "gadgets" that have been developed since then, it would seem that smart people would check these things out a little more before they come to a stupid conclusion - a conclusion with out any facts to support their opinion.

              Ed
            • greentechfusion
              Message 6 of 7 , May 21 12:55 PM
                I have been watching this thread so I am chiming in..
                The idea and the technology are sound and based on electrolysers.. It may be the marketing that may be an issue with some people.
                The concept of making hydrogen and oxygen from water may go over peoples heads if they are not familiar with fuel cells or electroylsys and if they are just learning about this stuff. These sites are for the hobbyist and that is what Mr. Clark is and why he probably created Makemyrideahybrid.com even though I think it is a big jump to claim it as "hybrid" technology. Think of it more like a fuel enhancer much like the not so earth friendly fuel additives you buy at Pep Boys. These systems could be categorized as greener due to the cleaner burning hydrogen/oxygen mix but again, that is a stretch. I myself am not a big proponent of burning hydrogen in any fashion, hydrogen and fuel cells are a better partnership without any environmental emissions and the byproduct is electricity and water.
                If you want to learn about fuel cells and cars, which is different that electrolysers for cars, check this out.
                http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/alternative-fuels/fuel-cell.htm

                So, do these systems work that you see on the internet? there are hobbyist out there that have formed clubs and sell some pretty nice home built systems from a couple hundred up to $1K or more and they have some high mileage numbers that they claim. The biggest difference in the costs are the quality of the materials used to get the most hydrogen out of the unit and if you want it installed by them or not.

                If your a person interested in this type of technology I recommend educating yourself first before buying anything.

                John P Matznick
                Renewable Energy & Sustainability Consultant
                GreenTechFusion.com

                --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@...> wrote:

                > Yeap! I figured if you can't get a Prius to do it then.... thanks I will forward...

              • Marc Morgan
                Message 7 of 7 , May 21 1:22 PM
                  It is possible to make a car much more fuel efficient. There is a UK company selling Hybrid kits.

                  http://www.ecogeek.org/content/view/1594/69/

                  Or you can go to the extreme and turn a older Honda into a 90+ mpg car.

                  http://aerocivic.com/

                  The site describes a detailed process called EcoModding. Most of it is really small changes to a vehicle like weight, drag efficiency and just Hypermiling.

                  Here is a site that is all about EcoModding.

                  http://ecomodder.com/index.php

                  I don't think that the original supplied link in this thread is a scam. I think it is a EcoModder who is trying to make money doing something he is passionate  about, instead of a 9-5 job.

                  Marc.

                  --
                  Marc Morgan