Re: Solar Landscape Lights

  • greentechfusion
    Message 1 of 6 , May 15, 2009
      Your on the right track on this however I would stay with higher end LED lighting since they are low watt, not low voltage yard lighting due to the higher watts they need. You would need that much larger solar panel if you use standard yard lighting. We have done a couple projects like this for friends as well for ourselves on a large scale. The SohoDecor LED lights are very nice, we have them on our Amazon store if you want to check out and other project parts we put together. Then get some low voltage wire and wire them all together (some soldering), removing the rechargeable batteries in them. You will need a decent sized deep cycle battery with enough Amp hrs to run during the night but nothing to big. Then you need to size a good PV solar panel. Something on the lines of 20-50Watt. 100-120watt is fine as well if you want to spend that much. You mainly want to keep the battery topped up with the solar and let the battery do all the work. You will also need a DC controller or regulator made to manage the DC voltage from the battery to your LED lights. Your lights only need about 5-6 VDC each to run. Your battery is 12 VDC and depending on how long your low voltage wire run is, you will have to adjust the DC output of your battery to your lights to get the right glow. Do not burn out the LEDs though.
      It sounds complicated but it really is pretty easy and it will work very professional. The DC regulator is prob the most difficult.

      John P Matznick
      Renewable Energy & Sustainability Consultant
      GreenTechFusion.com