Re: [hreg] Re: evaporative cooling...

  • Ed Sarlls
    Message 1 of 7 , May 14, 2009
      Not sure how well that I remember how to use a psychrometric chart but it looks like:
      Temperatures are in deg. F
      • 90 deg. air temp. and 90 % relative humidity (RH) will cool the air to about 87 deg. (Houston)
      • 90 deg air and 70 % RH will cool the air to about 81 deg.
      • 90 deg. air and 40 % RH will cool the air to about 71 deg.
      • 90 deg. air and 20 % RH will cool the air to about 64 deg. (El Paso)
      One other thing - to get these temperatures the outlet air will be close to 100 % RH
      This doesn't mean that it will cool your house to these temperatures that is just the air temperature out of the evaporative cooler.
      It may work to cool an attic where the air will be much higher temp. than outside air. If they are doing this in combination with other cooling there may be some advantages.

      Where is the architect's home?

      Ed Sarlls

      From: Alyssa Burgin <aburgin4peace@ gmail.com>
      To: hreg@yahoogroups. com
      Date: Thursday, May 14, 2009, 11:15 AM

      Evaporative cooling does not work in Houston, period. Although I work in issue advocacy, I'm a general contractor specializing in historical preservation, and I've done lots of new construction in the Houston area as well as adaptive reuse in the Houston Heights. Evaporative cooling is a great method for desert, or near-desert areas. El Paso is one of the largest evaporative- cooling markets in the region, and their humidity levels are some of the lowest in the state. San Antonio, on the other hand, with average humidity of only 37%, is NOT a market for evaporative cooling. Clearly, that sets the bar very low, because as we all know, Houston certainly has a higher humidity than San Antonio.

      Alyssa Burgin

      On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Richard Yoo <richardyoo@gmail. com> wrote:
      My understanding is that evaporative cooling for residential really isn't that effective in Houston due to the high humidity

      -Richard

      --- In hreg@yahoogroups. com, evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@ ...> wrote:

      > Does anyone know how much chemicals are used in making 1 gallon of potable water and how much electric energy is used to make that 1 gallon of water residential safe? I am thinking about cooling with air conditioning and cooling with evaporative cooling. I have information from the company that sells the evaporative cooling and an aproximate amount of what I would use in my home but don't want to get it, if it ends up being that you are going to spend the same energy ( by using water that has been processed with energy and then cleaned up with chemicals) in the end, since the whole idea is to be sustainable. .
      > �
      > The system is very affordable so for a house about 2,000 square feet you will pay 700 hundred dollars plus the cost of installation which is about a 2 day plumber job and the cost of the water used to run the system. I figured out with average rain fall in houston I would not be able to collect all the water I would need to run the system and even if I collected some of it I would still need to run a pump to get the water to the roof.
      > So you see my main concern is the water usage which is as much of what I spend in a month, which would double my bill and waste potable water....

      <*> Your email settings:
         Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
         http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/hreg/ join
         (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
         mailto:hreg-digest@ yahoogroups. com
         mailto:hreg-fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

         http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

    • Garth & Kim Travis
      Message 2 of 7 , May 15, 2009
        If you are using the humidity in the air, like they do in Arizona and
        New Mexico, no it is not much use here. However, some of us use it on
        our roofs to keep them cool, then it is a real asset. Many restaurants
        use the misters on their outdoor patios, which do help to keep the areas
        cooler.
        Bright Blessings,
        Kim