Please join us at the For Our Future Climate Rally

  • C S
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2009

      Forward this message to other lists, friends & families

      For Our Future

      What: Join the rallying cry "For Our Future” as concerned members of the community come together to say to Congressman Gene Green--get on board the American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009 (ACES)! Right now, Gene Green currently stands in opposition to our future in a greener and cleaner economy and is supporting corporate interests in weakening this important bill. We must send a loud and clear message to him next Monday--SUPPORT OUR FUTURE, NOT THE POLLUTERS!

      When: May 11th, 2009, Monday, at 12:00 NOON.

      Where: Congressman Gene Green's Office: 11811 East Freeway, Houston, TX 77029. Map

      Who: Religious, community, educational, and labor leaders, teachers and students, environmentalists, scientists, health professionals, business owners, city officials and YOU! Take off for lunch and demand action on climate change now! We are fighting for our children's and grandchildren's futures!

      Sponsored by: Texas Climate Emergency Campaign, CLEAN, GHASP/Mothers’ for Clean Air, Texas Environmental Justice Advocacy Services, Houston Climate Protection Alliance, Galveston Baykeeper, CRECEN (Centro de Recursos para Centroamericanos), Labor Council for Latin American Advancement and others.

      Why: The American Clean Energy and Security Act of 2009, currently in the House Energy and Commerce Committee, is critical to the future of this planet.  Congressman Green sits on that committee, and we must have his support for this legislation.  After this bill is passed out of the committee by Memorial Day it will be weakened in the House floor and Senate fights. We must get the best bill possible out of committee. Tell Gene Green that he MUST SUPPORT the ACES bill! Come next Monday to his office!

      Speakers include:

      Martina Cartwright - Texas Environmental Justice Advocacy Services (Former Director of TSU’s Environmental Justice Law Clinic)

      Deacon Sam Dunning - Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston

      Rev. Mark Edmiston-Lange - Emerson Unitarian Church

      Sissy Farenthold - Former member of the Texas legislature and the first woman to be nominated and voted on for vice president of the United States

      Leo Gold - Host of the New Capital Show, KPFT

      Ron Hayden - Chairman of the Sierra Club Subcommittee on Energy Policy and Global Warming

      Dr. Bonnie New – Health Professionals for Clean Air

      Charles Stillman - Texas Climate Emergency Campaign

      Matt Tejada - Director, Galveston/Houston Association for Smog Prevention & Mothers' for Clean Air

      Background information and talking points:
      We can not delay any longer – We owe it to our children, grandchildren and the rest of humanity

      The Nobel prize winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) - a body of more than 2500 renowned scientists from around the world, half of whom are Americans - recommends that we reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions by at least 35-50% below current levels by 2020. The IPCC warn that even if we cut our emissions by at least 35%, humanity will still only have a 50/50 chance of stabilizing average global temperatures and averting cataclysmic climate change.

      Scientists report that if temperatures continue to rise at the current rate, Africa will most likely lose half of its food production by 2020 and the Himalayan glaciers will most likely melt by 2035 (and perhaps earlier) resulting in over 40% of the world’s people losing half their water supply. In Texas we face larger hurricanes, greater flooding, the loss of the barrier islands, droughts and perhaps the loss of much of our water. Just recently the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) reported that if we stopped emitting GHG today, there are currently enough emissions present in the atmosphere, that the climatic changes underway are largely irreversible for at least the following 1,000 years.

      In December 2009, the UN will sign an agreement to succeed the Kyoto Protocols. The quality of the UN agreement will be largely determined by the US bill, as we contribute a quarter of the world’s greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, while only constituting 3% of the world’s population. Together the bill and agreement will determine if we can stop the rise of emissions before cataclysmic climate change sets in.