Tell Congressman Gene Green to vote in favor of Climate Legislation

  • C S
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2009

      Take a Moment out of your Day to secure a Brighter Future

      The House Energy and Commerce Committee will soon start marking up the Waxman-Markey draft climate bill, and we need to take action NOW to ensure that this bill is as strong as possible.

      Houston Congressman Gene Green is a member of the House Energy and Commerce Committee. His support then is critical to the creation of strong global warming legislation.

      Please take a minute out of your day to call his office at (281) 999-5879, ask to speak to the district director (or if they are unavailable leave a message with whomever picks up the phone) and let them know that you wish Congressman Green to vote in favor of the Waxman-Markey bill and work to strengthen it by calling for:

      ·  Emission cuts of 35-50% under present levels by 2020,  which is consistent with the advice of the world's scientific community.

      ·  Elimination of offsets/carbon speculation in the bill.

      ·  100% auction of any pollution allowances so companies won't be able to pollute for free, and money will be provided for renewables.

      This year the US Congress will pass a climate bill and in December 2009 the UN will sign an agreement to succeed the Kyoto Protocols. The quality of the UN agreement will be largely determined by theUS bill, as we contribute a quarter of the world’s greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, while only constituting 3% of the world’s population. Together the bill and agreement will determine if we can stop the rise of emissions before cataclysmic climate change sets in.

      The Nobel prize winning Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) - a body of more than 2500 renowned scientists from around the world, half of whom are Americans - recommends that we reduce GHG emissions by at least 35-50% below current levels by 2020. The IPCC warn that even if we cut our emissions by at least 35%, humanity will still only have a 50/50 chance of averting the worst of climate change.

      Even if we institute the IPCC recommendations, scientists report that Africa will most likely lose half of its food production by 2020 and the Himalayan glaciers will melt by 2045  resulting in over 40% of the world’s people losing half their water supply; Just recently the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) reported that if we stopped all emissions today, there are enough present emissions that the changes underway won’t be reversed for over 1000 years. In Texas we face larger hurricanes and tornadoes, greater flooding, the loss of the barrier islands, and perhaps much of our water. Obviously we need to act now!

      After placing the calls, if you could call or email me just to let me know how things went, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much!

      Charles Stillman

      Houston Outreach Coordinator

      Texas Climate Emergency Campaign

      E: charlestexasclimate@...