Homeowners Assocs, Houston Pollution, & Attitudes toward Alternative Energy

  • Andrea Wisner
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 19, 2009
      I am wondering how hard it is to convince an HOA in Houston to allow solar collectors on rooftops. Tthe Environmental Integrity Project, http://www.environmentalintegrity.org/, just released a report on April 6, 2009 (link not working now), showing Texas is the highest CO2 producer in the US. I would think we should all be looking upon it as a civic duty to reduce our "carbon footprint." I do realize it is not necessarily individual homes that directly cause the release of all this pollution, but we do benefit from the industry in Texas in the respect that it helps to fund our jobs, and every little bit helps in reducing pollution.

      Interestingly, the New York Times (online) has an extensive article today called "The Green Issue: Why Isn’t the Brain Green?," which is a sociological study of decision-making in regard to alternative energy and conservation issues. The information in this article itself (even without the complete study results) is enough to give an idea as to how we might approach convincing people. I'm afraid I may have to apply it sometime soon.

      Has anyone dealt with the HOA issue?

      AMW

    • evelyn sardina
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 19, 2009
        Hi. My name is Evelyn Sardina and I would like to start a green group in my subdivision. I have been adviced that I will encounter resistance. Any words of wisdom of how I should start the group and what are the things I should try to get people interested in first?

[...]

      • Bill or Dorothy Swann
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 20, 2009
              There is a bill addressing this (HOA) in the Texas Legislature <http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=HB2956>
          I am new to this, but I was able to register on line, and to sign up to receive notification when any bills of interest are slated for any action.
              There are 2 other bills of interest to the solar community. Another bill HB 3405 <http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=HB3405> is considering a state rebate on the purchase of panels at $2.40 per watt. If this bill were to pass, it would literally cut the cost of a solar panel by 1/2. A third bill <http://www.legis.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=81R&Bill=HB2226> covers exemptions from sales tax of PV installations.

          Thanks,Bill S
          Ph 832-338-3080
          www.promotingevs.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 20, 2009
            Keep writing and calling those senators!