Re: [hreg] solar installer course coming to Houston

  • Cobb Paul
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009

      it worked for me.

      cheers!
      paul

      From: evelyn sardina <evelynsardina@...>
      To: hreg@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tuesday, April 7, 2009 8:10:03 AM
      Subject: Re: [hreg] solar installer course coming to Houston

      The page can not be found....

      --- On Mon, 4/6/09, mkewert@comcast. net <mkewert@comcast. net> wrote:
      From: mkewert@comcast. net <mkewert@comcast. net>
      Subject: [hreg] solar installer course coming to Houston
      To: "HREG" <hreg@yahoogroups. com>
      Date: Monday, April 6, 2009, 9:36 PM

      http://www.lacleant ech.net/adven/ index.htm

    • Andrea Wisner
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 7, 2009
        This course seems very expensive for either a person planning to learn to install their own system or a construction worker wanting to find work in solar installation. It may be reasonable for a person planning to operate his/her own solar installation company. Politically, when solar becomes an important source of energy, installation companies will train their own employees for free, and courses for do-it-yourselfers will be more common and less expensive. When is the government going to fund scholarships for this type of training?

        AMW

        From: mkewert@comcast. net <mkewert@comcast. net>
        To: "HREG" <hreg@yahoogroups. com>
        Date: Monday, April 6, 2009, 9:36 PM

        http://www.lacleant ech.net/adven/ index.htm

      • Al Source
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 8, 2009

          This course only costs $49

          Solar Installation Course

          Greetings!

          The writers of the "Solar Power Business - Complete Plan" are excited to share with you our Solar Installation Course.
          Due to numerous requests, we have put this course together over the past few months and now you will benefit and learn the complete process to installing an entire Solar system.

          The course will be limited to the first 50 people who register and you won't believe the price or the amount of information included.  And, you can complete the course from the comfort of your own home and receive a nice certificate.

          To find out all the details just go to:

          www.SolarInstallationCourse.com
          But hurry, space is limited and the course will sell out fast.  Thank you for your time.

          Sincerely,

          John Peyton
          www.SolarInstallationCourse.com

          Safe Unsubscribe
          This email was sent to nayef@... by jpminvestments@....
          JPMC Investments | 219 Leo Ave. | Shreveport | LA | 71105

          From: mkewert@comcast. net <mkewert@comcast. net>
          To: "HREG" <hreg@yahoogroups. com>
          Date: Monday, April 6, 2009, 9:36 PM

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 10, 2009
            Has anyone used this video education resource (below)? I will probably go ahead and buy it; hope it's not a scam.

            AMW

            The writers of the "Solar Power Business - Complete Plan" are excited to share with you our Solar Installation Course.
            Due to numerous requests, we have put this course together over the past few months and now you will benefit and learn the complete process to installing an entire Solar system.

            The course will be limited to the first 50 people who register and you won't believe the price or the amount of information included.  And, you can complete the course from the comfort of your own home and receive a nice certificate.

            To find out all the details just go to:

            www.SolarInstallati onCourse. com
            But hurry, space is limited and the course will sell out fast.  Thank you for your time.

            Sincerely,

            John Peyton
            www.SolarInstallati onCourse. com

            Safe Unsubscribe
            This email was sent to nayef@swbell. net by jpminvestments@ gmail.com.
            JPMC Investments | 219 Leo Ave. | Shreveport | LA | 71105

            From: mkewert@comcast. net <mkewert@comcast. net>
            To: "HREG" <hreg@yahoogroups. com>
            Date: Monday, April 6, 2009, 9:36 PM

            http://www.lacleant ech.net/adven/ index.htm

          • ingridramsey@yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 10, 2009
              I signed up for it. It's coming out on May 1st. I will let you guys know how it goes. Thanks, Ingrid

              Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

              From: Andrea Wisner
              Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 20:18:35 -0700 (PDT)
              To: <hreg@yahoogroups.com>

              From: mkewert@comcast. net <mkewert@comcast. net>
              To: "HREG" <hreg@yahoogroups. com>
              Date: Monday, April 6, 2009, 9:36 PM

              http://www.lacleant ech.net/adven/ index.htm

            • Jim & Janet
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 11, 2009

                Has anyone used this video education resource (below)? I will probably go ahead and buy it; hope it's not a scam.
                AMW

                Andrea,
                if it's any help, the Texas Solar Energy Society (HREG is a chapter of TXSES) has decided to put a disclaimer on their www site where training PV courses are listed. It will be in response to the sudden surge of "PV installer" courses coming along since the incentive money has arrived. The gist of the disclaimer will be that you should research very carefully any training that charges a fee, which is most. Furthermore, the courses listed on the TXSES www site are not screened by TXSES and so on. It's saying let the buyer beware.
                Any training of value is not going to be free. But comparing prices may be an eye opener. The cheapest 40+ hour classes start at $750 and the most comprehensive are $3500.
                So guess what a $49 course will provide? Well I don't know either but once the author has your $49 it won't matter because you are stuck with whatever is on the DVDs and you won't be able to call their "tech support" to find an answer.
                That's not to say it's not accurate and informative information on the disk. But you won't be qualified to be a PV installer just from watching the disks or even taking any of the 40 hour courses.
                I'm afraid we have not seen the last of these deals to come along. Please use your good judgement before you invest your money. And thank you for asking the question that many others are wondering about.

                Jim Duncan
                North Texas Renewable Energy Inc
                817.917.0527
                ntrei@...

              • Andrea Wisner
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 12, 2009
                  Jim, I really appreciate that. Aside from wanting to install our own system, my husband is a contractor and would like to get into the solar installation business. In that regard, having a certification that means something would be helpful. But the course that was the initial subject of this thread, that was $1400, appeared to be only a brief course, not 40 hours. So we will look into what else is available.

                  AMW

[...]

                  ntrei@earthlink. net

                • Heath Payne
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 13, 2009

                    Andrea,   I attended the Solar Energy International PV Design & Installation workshop in Austin, which was hosted by Meridian Solar.  This was a good introduction and gave us a chance to have some hands on experience.   Soon after completing this workshop I signed up for the Advanced PV Online course.   I was very impressed with the Advanced PV course.  It focuses on the NEC as it relates to PV Installation.  I haven't made the jump from my current career just yet but hope to as soon.  Good luck to you and your husband.     Here are the links>>

                    http://www.solarenergy.org/workshops/schedule.html

                    http://www.nabcep.org/certification/pv-installer-certification

                    --- In hreg@yahoogroups.com, Andrea Wisner <amwisner@...> wrote:

                    > Jim, I really appreciate that. Aside from wanting to install our own system, my husband is a contractor and would like to get into the solar installation business. In that regard, having a certification that means something would be helpful. But the course that was the initial subject of this thread, that was $1400, appeared to be only a brief course, not 40 hours. So we will look into what else is available.
                    >
                    > AMW

                  • Chris Boyer
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 14, 2009
                      For those getting into the Solar industry, or wanting to...

                      I took the Advanced PV course by Solar Energy International (SEI).  It was great and cost $750 (now its ~$900) for 5 days.  They are the solar teaching experts and their book, which is free with the course, is recognized world wide.  I heard the Online course was OK, but not nearly as good as the live course.

                      Janet Hughes is teaching the Solar courses in Texas.  I haven't taken her course, but I know she has a lot of experience and is a great person.  I can't believe the course is asking $1,400 (and they make you buy a book separately).

                      I took the NAPCEP exam.  We had to sign a paper saying we would not say what is on the test, but I can say you need to know the NEC very well.

                      There are two great magazines for solar installers.  The first is "HomePower", which is targeting homeowners and do-it-yourself types.  The second is "SolarPro", which spun off of HomePower.  Catherine Houser, our former Chair of the Texas Solar Energy Society is the Managing Editor.  I recommend those magazines to anyone working in the industry.

                      The solar industry is moving toward two types of companies:  The first is small, home-office, installers who really know their stuff and can do everything.  They work with a distributor to get engineering and materials.  They are master electricians or have a buddy that is one and do many other things that solar to pay the bills.  They primarily do simple residential systems. They can compete in the market because they have low overhead costs, even though they have high material costs and less trust in the market place.   The second type of company is large firms who buy materials direct and have in-house engineering.  They have a staff of specialists.  They target residential and commercial customers.  They can compete because they have lower material costs (material costs are ~75% of the total cost), can take on larger jobs, and have more trust from the market.

                      Good luck!

                      Chris

                    • El Sid
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 18, 2009
                        Buenos Dias everyone,

                        I hope all is well in your World.
                        Just wanted to comment on this PV training Thread.

                        A few years ago when i was researching PV training. I looked high and low for the best possible hands on classes.

                        After some serious Grind.......

                        SEI was the Place for me,

                        If anyone in the Greater Houston Area is interested in Solar.

                        SEI has classes every Spring in Austin (sponsored by an awesome Company Meridian Solar)

                        The folks at SEI and Meridian are knowleadgeable and great to work with.

                        PAZ

                        OG FRED

                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 8, 2009
                          How was the course? Do you recommend it for others?

                          From: Andrea Wisner
                          Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 20:18:35 -0700 (PDT)
                          To: <hreg@yahoogroups. com>

                          From: mkewert@comcast. net <mkewert@comcast. net>
                          To: "HREG" <hreg@yahoogroups. com>
                          Date: Monday, April 6, 2009, 9:36 PM

                          http://www.lacleant ech.net/adven/ index.htm

                        • Gary Beck
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 8, 2009

                            I heard that Austin Community College offers a solar installation course that at the end results in some type of installer certification.

                            Anyone know the facts on this?  Is there a local course like this at HCC, UofH or other area school?

                            Gary Beck, P.E., SECB, LEED AP

                            Eco-Holdings Engineering Services

                            4010 Blue Bonnet Blvd. Ste 114

                            Houston, Texas 77025

                            Tel: 713-377-4209  Fax: 832-201-5338

                            SECB certified in the Practice of Structural Engineering, a structural inspector for the Texas Residential Construction Commission SIRP program, and a listed Engineer for the Texas Department of Insurance Wind Storm program. Eco provides Engineering and Engineer's Inspection Services for Residential, Commercial, Lodging, Educational, Industrial and Government Facilities. Eco's design engineering services include AutoCAD based construction documents for permitting and building foundations, structures, storm water systems, and detention ponds; and Autodesk Revit based 3D Building Information Modeling for green building practices.

                            From: Andrea Wisner
                            Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 20:18:35 -0700 (PDT)
                            To: <hreg@yahoogroups. com>

[...]

                            Error! Filename not specified.

                            From: mkewert@comcast. net <mkewert@comcast. net>
                            To: "HREG" <hreg@yahoogroups. com>
                            Date: Monday, April 6, 2009, 9:36 PM

                            http://www.lacleant ech.net/adven/ index.htm

                          • Tyra Rankin
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 8, 2009

                              Greg:

                              Yes – HCC is doing big things in training!  I can’t find my notes from this month’s meeting with Rich Haut.  He discussed.

                              Some resources for training:

                              IREC – Interstate Renewable Energy Council

                              http://www.irecusa.org/

                              ISPQ Training Accreditation

                              http://www.irecusa.org/?id=25

                              Workforce Development

                              http://www.irecusa.org/index.php?id=50

                              Solar Installers 2010 SOC

                              http://www.irecusa.org/index.php?id=59&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=1327&cHash=9653294bda

                              SEI PV Online Classes

                              http://www.irecusa.org/index.php?id=59&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=1097&cHash=ad640fb09f

                              2009 Workforce Education Conference

                              http://www.irecusa.org/index.php?id=59&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=1173&cHash=9d40398093

                              Tyra

                              From: Andrea Wisner
                              Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2009 20:18:35 -0700 (PDT)
                              To: <hreg@yahoogroups. com>

                              From: mkewert@comcast. net <mkewert@comcast. net>
                              To: "HREG" <hreg@yahoogroups. com>
                              Date: Monday, April 6, 2009, 9:36 PM

                              http://www.lacleant ech.net/adven/ index.htm

                            • Kevin Conlin
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 8, 2009
                                My notes from the meeting say that HCC has an Energy Center, and that they offer a 5 day course 2X a year.

                                Kevin Conlin
                                Heliosolar Design, Inc.
                                13534 Quetzal Lane
                                Houston, TX 77083