Re: [hreg] Re: National Service Bill

  • Alyssa Burgin
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 26, 2009
      Good point, Randy about the CCC. My father was in the CCC, and thrilled to be there. He didn't build bridges or anything remotely similar--he was an actor. They sent him around the country to perform at CCC camps, putting on one-man plays and reading poetry. Seriously. They recruited him from among a group of successful high school drama students at a high school which had been featured in Life magazine. He certainly didn't feel like he was part of an involuntary servitude project--he felt like the luckiest teenager in the world.

      Alyssa Burgin

      On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 10:48 AM, Randy Scott <redscott77092@...> wrote:
      Good luck wi'dat. If I ever see your name on a ballot I'll certainly put a check mark there.[by the way, my next door neighbor is also named Don Cook, but I don't think he's running]

      I dunno, experience tells me that I don't know anything about political language and I have a "curse" that everything I say ends up sounding like a personal insult to some very sensitive person, in spite of all my time spent studying the 'art' of propaganda.

      Why not talk about the Civilian Conservation Corps? I can't give you any titles but it shouldn't be hard to find detailed info on how it was created and promoted. It was just a piece of a bigger plan.

      Maybe some of those "Greatest Generation" folks, the WWII generation, can be reminded of the risky but successful programs that put paychecks into the hands of blue-collar people. If I recall rightly, I think there was more to it than just manual labor. There were programs that tapped into a wide variety of talents & skills, even writers & artists.

      All I've heard about today's "stimulus" has emphasised roads & bridges & other jobs that tap into existing corporations that already have a "lobby" presence in our state capitals. When our so-called "representative" was opposing the expansion of public transit in Houston, it was revealed that he has a long history of campaign contributions from highway building companies - that's why he opposed trains.